355 replies to this topic

#21 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hello Lovelies! I wish to present the idea of a 78 thread. For us. Wee who adore this medium of BTW, if you don't own 'The Stuff That DREAMS Are Made Of', get over to amazon or wherever and GET IT! The booklet itself is magical.

Good news: Got this from my library yesterday! :D

Bad news: No booklet :angry:

#22 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have a handful that i can get my hands on and a bunch more that i have no clue where to find.

for i am macwacky, king of the morons

i decided to look for the missing records today. it took all of 3 seconds. One turn of the head and there they were, in a green album, on a bookshelf, right at eye level.

So there they were, a couple Louis Primas, An Ella Fitzgerald with The Ink Spots, a couple Johnny Rays, a George Shearing Quintet, a Desi Arnaz, The William Tell Overture by Toscanini, The Syncopated Clock and (Yes!) Tiger Rag by Les Paul and Mary Ford. Still don't know where that Drifters record is. Hope the old BSR still works!

#23 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

I just bought an Artie Shaw collection, and was given 2-3 albums worth of Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra, Ink Spots and various other artists. Once I get them home and cleaned up I will take pictures! Now I need to buy some paper and plastic sleeves from bagsunlimited. Thinking of also getting the 78 cleaner they have as well!

:wub: 78s! Still dreaming of finding some Woody Guthrie, Bessie Smith, Gennett, Folkways, early jazz, etc at some garage sale someday. I think my head would explode though.

#24 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

ooooh! lovely. indeed. i am still looking for 78 sleeves at a decent cost. does anyone know of any place in canadaland that sells them. also, i want to frame my two vogue picture records. 78 frames??? in canada???

#26 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I can see a bit of a reflection in that second picture! You better watch out or we'll get an inadvertent picture of you! :wub:

#27 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

I can see a bit of a reflection in that second picture! You better watch out or we'll get an inadvertent picture of you! :wub:

trust me, the record would have cracked!

#28 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

the lovely and wonderful twitcharoo brought this blog to my attention and i love him for it. knock yourselves out and praise kevin as much as you want.

http://westernswing78.blogspot.com/

edit. i donated $10 because i know a bunch of us will be downloading quite a few of those compilations.

Edited by lindapoirier, 15 October 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#29 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:59 AM

Thanks to Linda and Kevin for introducing me to that western swing blog!

Now, who in thee 78 rotation club is planning on ponying up the dough for the Tom Waits 78? I fear I may succumb to temptation. :ph34r:

#30 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

fuck me!!!! tom waits and 78s. two of my favourite things in the world!!!! ooooooooooh fuck yes. i will try on the 20th of november but i bet they sell out real fast.

#31 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

the lovely and wonderful twitcharoo brought this blog to my attention and i love him for it. knock yourselves out and praise kevin as much as you want.

http://westernswing78.blogspot.com/

edit. i donated $10 because i know a bunch of us will be downloading quite a few of those compilations.

:lol:

i downloaded everything on that blog...ended up being 5 gigs worth of tunes. Good stuff.

#32 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

kevin! i had burned a few ceedees from the 78 blog and i brought one to work. well, the old timers really loved it but some mid-life crisis arseholes wouldn't have it. i got to play a few songs. BUT! BUT!! in those songs i am getting "my mom's old 78s" and an old timer came in last night SPECIFICALLY because i told him that i would write down the blog address for him. he pulled me aside and said, "do you have that internet site for me?" hahahahaa! i wrote it down for him and he was going on and on about wilf carter. he really loved what he heard. if i can get the time and right moment, i will play it again and hopefully he will hear it all. i tried to explain to him how to download and convert but i sure hope he can get someone to help him with it. i told him there was all kinds of music on the blog.

sigh... you did good young kevin.

ohhhhhh! i ordered the tom waits 78 last night. fuuuuuuuuuck, i'm smiling big time here. BIG TIME!!!

#33 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Linda, are you still looking for 78 supplies? I get all of mine here:

http://www.bagsunlim...rpm-record.aspx

They even have frames. I framed my Sun Records "I Walk the Line" when Mr. Cash passed on. It makes me both smile and get teary-eyed when I look at it.

#34 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

Okay, here is the thing. I went there. I wanted 500 green 78 sleeves, 1000 33 1/3 sleeves and one 78 picture frame. That comes to $272.05. Shipped to my address, it's $69. Shipped to a P.O. Box in upstate New York, it's $47. Shipped to a friend with a US address it's $20.

This is really REALLY starting to piss me off. The people who profit most from the WORLD WIDE WEB are the postal carriers. INfuckingSANE. I refuse REFUSE to pay 25% of the product cost to ship the fucking things. I haven't ordered any albums on vinyl over the internets in months and months because it now costs almost the cost of an album to send ONE album. INSANE!!!!

Do you know how much shipping to Canada was for that Tom Waits 78? $25. Yes, that's right. It cost 50% of the item's value for shipping. Do you know how much it's costing to have shipped to an American address???? $7. That's right $7. It costs me almost 4 times as much just for shipping. They would ship to Massena, NY for $7 but to go about 1/2 hour further down the road it costs $25.

Yes, I know Governments and Foreign Policy and Trade but we are told over and over that Canada signed a Free Trade Agreement with the United States. When is this going to start making a difference for my shipping costs across the border. FUCKING COCKSUCKERS!

#35 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

i just placed an order with my ups address in upper new york state. i hope it works. shipping for my order was free. i'll let you know how it works out.

#36 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Good luck, Linda! I know the shipping thing has been a huge pain in the arse (and wallet) for you, so I'm hoping this works out! I really need to order some 78 supplies from them. Maybe after my NYC trip.

#37 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

kevin! i had burned a few ceedees from the 78 blog and i brought one to work. well, the old timers really loved it but some mid-life crisis arseholes wouldn't have it. i got to play a few songs. BUT! BUT!! in those songs i am getting "my mom's old 78s" and an old timer came in last night SPECIFICALLY because i told him that i would write down the blog address for him. he pulled me aside and said, "do you have that internet site for me?" hahahahaa! i wrote it down for him and he was going on and on about wilf carter. he really loved what he heard. if i can get the time and right moment, i will play it again and hopefully he will hear it all. i tried to explain to him how to download and convert but i sure hope he can get someone to help him with it. i told him there was all kinds of music on the blog.

sigh... you did good young kevin.

ohhhhhh! i ordered the tom waits 78 last night. fuuuuuuuuuck, i'm smiling big time here. BIG TIME!!!

thats awesome,

I've downloaded and organized everything from that site....if you need me to upload it in a nice easy to use format I can. Lemme know.

#38 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

I've downloaded and organized everything from that site....if you need me to upload it in a nice easy to use format I can. Lemme know.

Could you? Or do a B&P? Advance thanks, either way, sire

#39 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

i just bought a louis jordan 5 record album. decca 1946. at the antique mall. it's in excellent condition, great cover- and it has my favorite jordan song-"knock me a kiss" only 8 dollars. it has a song i've never heard him do-"the chicks i pick are slender and tender and tall"....!

pokey lafarge and the south city three are producing a 78 in 2011. i talked to them after their concert last week and told them i got the tom waits 78 (it sold out fast). adam asked if i got the turntable too. i said no cause it was just a crosley and i've got an edison. and pokey said "oh an edison.. awesome!" thank you uncle al for willing me the edison and all those old super thick edison records and the newer 78's. from early louis armstrong to elvis.

#40 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

i just bought a louis jordan 5 record album. decca 1946. at the antique mall. it's in excellent condition, great cover- and it has my favorite jordan song-"knock me a kiss" only 8 dollars. it has a song i've never heard him do-"the chicks i pick are slender and tender and tall"....!

pokey lafarge and the south city three are producing a 78 in 2011. i talked to them after their concert last week and told them i got the tom waits 78 (it sold out fast). adam asked if i got the turntable too. i said no cause it was just a crosley and i've got an edison. and pokey said "oh an edison.. awesome!" thank you uncle al for willing me the edison and all those old super thick edison records and the newer 78's. from early louis armstrong to elvis.

:wub: I love that song!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users