355 replies to this topic

#341 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

I found this. I really would love to see those photos. Please?

Heck, Linda, I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now or I would have posted a link sooner.  If you're still interested, here you go--  https://www.flickr.c...49077/lightbox/ There are a few more after that shot.

Also... I recently met Joe Bussard and had the opportunity to hang out in his basement while he played records from his collection for me.  At some point I'm going to get my thoughts together and write about the experience, but it left me pretty gobsmacked. Especially since when I left his place, I drove straight to Detroit to see Jack's new place. From the history of American music to a place that reveres that history and is making history of its own in American music. Mind blown.  But in the meantime I wanted to post a couple of Joe-related links here for you guys--

Podcasts of Joe's weekly radio show, Country Classics, with songs from his collection-- http://feed.podcastm...m/podcasts/3969

He's also set up a store on his website for his cd compilations-- http://www.joesvinta...new-products-1/   I picked up The Year of Jubilo at the recent release party for it (which is where I met Mr. Bussard), and have the two blues collections on the way.  Year of Jubilo is terrific. 

#342 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

And I finally babbled at my blog about my morning with Joe-- http://kalidurga.blo...oe-bussard.html

#343 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks. Those photos are great. I would put my tongue on that Robert 78 and try to play it WITH MY TONGUE!

I have no way to comment on Joe. That is astounding. Great photos and what a great opportunity. Both for learning and listening. How terrific that he is making his own compilations. How important is it to let the world hear all thst music.

Folkways have some pretty fantastic Jug Band CDs.

Edit. From what I understand a lot of those musicians were NOT famous. In fact, there is NOTHING known about dome of the people that made sensational music. Everyone and their 15 sisters had musical talent. It seemed common to go in with your family and neighbours and record a 78.

That is just what working people did with their free time.

Edited by lindapoirier, 09 December 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#344 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

I think that's the one negative about music being pressed to records-- Instead of being a culture of making our own music, we became a culture of being an audience to other people making music. Somehow we (the general populace, at least, because I know there are exceptions) became convinced that only "musicians" can make music.  I think that's why making music just for pleasure or the fun of it has become such a rare hobby and we all buy records instead.  I tried a year or two ago to teach myself guitar but couldn't get the hang of it and now I've got arthritis in one of my thumbs which makes it painful. So I'm playing around with playing the spoons now.

And the two blues cds I ordered from Joe are, unlike the professionally produced Year of Jubilo, literally made by him.  Hand-typed tracklist (on a typewriter) and hand-written label on a cdr disc from out of a pack of 50 or however many.  My new fave is Soldier Boy Houston.

#345 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

The link to his compilation cds doesn't work.

I read an interview on dust snd grooves. I really agree with his dogma of using and playing these records. AND sharing the music. He doesn't want to see his collection going to a museum where they wouldn't be played. These fucking records are pretty tough. "Unbreakable"!

#346 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

Here's the link to his home page-  http://www.joesvintage78.com/   And that Dust and Grooves interview is where I first heard of him. Can't remember now how I stumbled across it, though.

#347 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

A pal (some of you all might know Krewe Chief) picked up a batch of several thousand 78s a couple years ago. He recently decided to sell a bunch, so I snagged a few--

IMG_8148_zpshkb4melk.jpg

IMG_8151_zpsdsyeycno.jpg

IMG_8159_zpswhj1ejog.jpg

IMG_8153_zps2kw5nr4i.jpg

#348 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

IMG_8155_zpsvvew89us.jpg

IMG_8161_zpsrfwqmcnm.jpg

IMG_8162_zpsjr8eyx6h.jpg

And he threw in this tasty little 45 as an extra--

IMG_8164_zpsmtzjrxxp.jpg

#349 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

That's amazing--is he selling more ore is this clandestine?

I recognize the nom de taper

#350 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Wonderful!!!

#351 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

That's amazing--is he selling more ore is this clandestine?

I recognize the nom de taper

Not sure what his plans are for the rest. I was apparently one of the first people he sent the list to, but I don't know if the rest are going on eBay or through other channels.

#352 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

ok, thank you

#353 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

If anyone's interested, Joe Bussard's posted a bunch of new cds in his on-line store, songs straight from the shelves of his collection--  http://www.joesvinta...new-products-1/

#354 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

I have to get dome of these.

#355 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,708 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

I have The Year of Jubilo, Blues from the 20s & 30s, and Blues from the 30s & 40s. Great stuff, some songs here and there that I've heard before, but mostly real gems by people I've never heard of anywhere before. And aside from Year of Jubilo, the cds come with tracklist inserts typed by Joe himself, at a little typewriter in his music room. On one of the blues cds, there's a song by John Lee Booker. I keep trying to figure out whether that's a typo or if Hooker used a variation of his real name for some early releases.

#356 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

I haven't been to the flea market in a long time but one vendor recognizes me always. "There's a whole box of those old records on the other side", turns out it was s jazz collection. Cab, Count, Duke, Ella... you know. HAHAHA HAHAHA! 46 in total with 10 Harry James and 8 Carmen Cavallero . She knew what she liked. $20.

20161003_095602_zpsofgfpqts.jpg

Edited by lindapoirier, 03 October 2016 - 09:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users