355 replies to this topic

#1 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hello Lovelies! I wish to present the idea of a 78 thread. For us. Wee who adore this medium of record. Collectors or just two records, you are welcome. This is off the top of my head because I am listening to this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love this little cd compilation of very old and rare 78 records. There is even a Son House song on here, never ever found before.

Can you imagine finding a Son House 78 that you don't know the title??? OMG!

Anyhow, there are all kinds of 78s out there and they need to bee appreciated. Let's talk about them. Let's share photos and stories. Let's talk about the "Crumb" documentary. Let's talk about Harvey Pekar (my boyfriend). LET'S TALK ABOUT 78s!

BTW, if you don't own 'The Stuff That DREAMS Are Made Of', get over to amazon or wherever and GET IT! The booklet itself is magical.

Hello, my name is Linda Poirier and I'm a 78'aholic.

#2 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

i think that 78s come into my life at least once a week. oh yeah, they must. last week i got these in the mail. some guy on etsy. i love the teeny emory boards to sharpen the cactus needles. ha! and yes, i plan to try them.

Posted Image

the week before that, i swear i was playing a pablo casals 78 for a fan of his.

#3 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

also, time square records just went online all the way. they have their entire catalogue up and you can browse and there is even a grand re-opening 15% discount available until august 4, 2010. get on their mailing list. asap!!

http://www.timessqua....com/index4.htm

#4 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

amazing in every aspect--my library has that compilation and i can't wait for it to come in, i'm drooling looking at those labels.

#5 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

does anyone else even have 78s on here? Linda did you make a club for yourself so you feeler cooler than us?!

#6 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

I have a grand total of two: "Moaning At Midnight" by Howlin' Wolf and "Nashville Jumps" by Cecil Gant. Used to have "Conquest" by Corky Robbins & Johnny Bosworth but traded it away

#7 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

omg! i was just informed by nate that harvey pekar died this morning. i am crying like a baby. oh noooooooooo!

kevin, lots of us have 78s. i think. i know of four for sure.

oh harvey. i am so sad.

#8 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

also, kevin, that compilation is a great place to start if you don't own anything like it. there are many compilations out in the world formed of nothing but old 78 recordings. i just bought a bluebird one of fats waller. this is an "acceptable" way to listen to 78s is you don't actually have any and still love the medium. don't tell robert though.

sigh... poor harvey...

#9 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

well i look forward to someone uploaded that comp for me....

#10 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Need to clean a 78? Don Williams, senior conservator of the smithsonian, recommends the following.

At some point in the deterioration process shellac becomes slightly water sensitive, which complicates the cleaning process immensely. A water/detergent cleaning solution is a problem because the detergent makes water penetrate more quickly. I have found the best means of cleaning shellac records is to give them a facial exfoliation treatment. I am not kidding.

You will need the following supplies:

Photographer's compressed air can
Face peel
Fan
Distilled water
Litho pads

1. Gently blow any loose dust off the surface withthe compressed air.
2. Gently dab the face peel on the surface of the record, avoiding the label.
3. Place the record in front of the fan to dry it as quickly as possible.
4. When the cleansing film is stiff, peel it off.
5. Gently rinse the record surface with the distilled water, again avoiding the label. Dry it immediately by blotting it with litho pads and placing it in front of the fan.

This procedure works extremely well for all types of records that need cleaning, acetate records excepted. It removes dirt and grime gently and with minimal force.

Edited by lindapoirier, 12 July 2010 - 05:25 PM.

#11 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

My son's friend loves Hank Williams, so I gave him a Hank Williams 78. He took it home and dropped it on the floor. It broke. Fuckin' teenagers, man. But anyway, count me among the owners of 78s. They're bloody damn heavy, and kind of a nuisance if you ask me!

#12 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

i remember when jeff healey died and they said he was an avid jazz 78 collector. it was surprising. i don't know why but it did surprise me. he had 25,000 - 30,000 78s.

http://playwrights.s..._those_cool_78s

they are not a nuisance. and i can't believe he just broke a hank 78. terrible. although there are countless stories of how when they switched to 33, 12" records, they simply dumped warehouses of records in lakes and landfills.

#13 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

I've probably got a hundred or so. I recently went to a garage sale and scored a stack of a couple dozen... for free! There were a couple Sinatras and an Ella Fitzgerald.

#14 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hello Lovelies! I wish to present the idea of a 78 thread. For us. Wee who adore this medium of record. Collectors or just two records, you are welcome. This is off the top of my head because I am listening to this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love this little cd compilation of very old and rare 78 records. There is even a Son House song on here, never ever found before.

Can you imagine finding a Son House 78 that you don't know the title??? OMG!

Anyhow, there are all kinds of 78s out there and they need to bee appreciated. Let's talk about them. Let's share photos and stories. Let's talk about the "Crumb" documentary. Let's talk about Harvey Pekar (my boyfriend). LET'S TALK ABOUT 78s!

BTW, if you don't own 'The Stuff That DREAMS Are Made Of', get over to amazon or wherever and GET IT! The booklet itself is magical.

Hello, my name is Linda Poirier and I'm a 78'aholic.

That comp is amazing. When I saw it in Hastings I pretty much knocked people over to get to it & bought it on the spot.

I have Patience & Prudence Gonna Get Along Without You Now w/ The Money Tree (thanks to the ever amazing sunhouse!!! <3) and an album of 4 78s by Count Basie called Blues by Basie. It's pretty damn awesome. I don't buy 78s often for a few reasons. I haven't come across very many in decent quality & I don't have the space to just buy them willy nilly. It's my dream to find Bessie Smith or Woody Guthrie on 78 or to find old Gennett jazz or hillbilly 78s. So I do look through them when I see a stack, but I'm pretty particular about which ones I'll bring home.

#15 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

I have a handful that i can get my hands on and a bunch more that i have no clue where to find. Handed down from previous generations of macwackies. There was an Al Jolson album, mostly pop, some rhumba, a Drifters record, The Syncopated Clock... and oh yes, Eh Cumpari by Julius La Rosa--probably the first record i had in two formats--78 and 45. But the 78 was way cooler because the little Julius head on the label would spin around so fast! Not that we would watch it, my brother and i used to act it out.

Found a vintage shop a few blocks from where i work, but it seems to be overpriced. The owner asked me what kind of 78s i wanted, i said blues and he seemed disappointed.

#16 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

^^^ Next time you go in ask if he has jazz or country 78s for me. See if his face falls or lights up at that!

#17 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

^^^ Next time you go in ask if he has jazz or country 78s for me. See if his face falls or lights up at that!

I've driven past this place for three years every weekday. I finally read the dilapidated awning that said vintage juke boxes. I wanted to just look through all the records, but i felt like he wanted me to buy an $8000 juke box--or at least a $250 mandolin. I would be interested in country, jazz, hillbilly, rockabilly, maybe i'll go back when i have more time.

#18 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

http://78rpmrecord.com/

#19 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

I'll join, only have a handful though, some hokey country junk, a couple buddy holl-lees, a random assortment of brunswick records because of the BH connecsh and some local radio program recordings. The local radio programs are great, they're about, 13 inches and get cut waay for into the center. Do we get membership cards? with our pictures?

Edited by Trent O, 17 July 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#20 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'll join, only have a handful though, some hokey country junk, a couple buddy holl-lees, a random assortment of brunswick records because of the BH connecsh and some local radio program recordings. Do we get membership cards? with our pictures?

:JEALOUS:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users