62 replies to this topic

#41 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Delta Spirit--absolutely wonderful, every time.

#42 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

Can't believe no one posted in this thread since 2012... bumping it to the top for other newer members who missed it, but also hoping Tam will list all her Jack shows, heh heh... I guess 30+ eh?  And of course Helen's list would be mind blowing... Dylan in '66 (coolest Bob ever), Hendrix, Stones with Brian Jones... oh me oh my.

#43 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:41 PM

Jack back in 2014. 

So far this year, I've seen:

Pokey LaFarge

Mavis Staples

The Kills

Edited by matthewvh, 15 August 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#44 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Jack back in 2014. 

So far this year, I've seen:

Pokey LaFarge

Mavis Staples

I saw both Mavis and Pokey at the same music festival, although different years. Both were great shows. 

I could never begin to tally every band I've seen. 

I think right now the Nick Cave show I saw is probably my favorite concert. It wasn't exactly intimate, but it was such an important night for me and my dad. Just a crushing, great night of music. 

Other always dependably great acts: Lucinda Williams (I've seen her twice), Richard Thompson (3 times), Jenny Lewis (once solo, once with Rilo Kiley, once with Jenny & Johnny), the Dirtbombs (like 5 times), Blanche ( also 4 or 5 times. those were the days). Cat Power was great when I saw her back in 2006. I've seen the Flaming Lips twice. Not great music but a terrific live show. 

Recent great shows;

Mavis Staples, St. Vincent, Lucius, Kurt Vile, Trombone Shorty, Shilpa Ray

Edited by Kat Saunders, 16 August 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#45 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

I saw both Mavis and Pokey at the same music festival, although different years. Both were great shows. 

Mavis and Pokey were amazing when I saw them. Though, I saw Mavis at the Grammy Museum because she was receiving the Woody Guthrie Prize. She talked for about a hour and then performed a couple songs, so it wasn't a typical show. It's incredible to see how much energy she has.

I'd love to see the Dirtbombs play sometime. 

#46 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

Well, clearly The Wiggles top them all...the energy they bring to the stage, alone.

#47 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:02 PM

Just saw Royal Blood last night in Phoenix with Bass Drum of Death opening for them. Such a great show.

#48 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Cool.

#49 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

if all goes well, tomorrow i will have joanna tickets TOMORROW

i've wanted to see her for EIGHT years!

#50 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

I was looking for this thread! I TOO AM SEEING JOANNA NEWSOM!!! :D 

I have seen Lonelady and Sexwitch (Bat For Lashes side project) in the last few weeks. I love London

#51 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Saw the great Ennio Morricone in a sold out Budapest Arena few weeks back, and it was better than the previous two concerts I saw (Belgrade 2009 & Zagreb 2015), mainly because he finally changed the programme we all know from those live DVDs (not that there was anything wrong with those). For instance, he never performed "Man with a harmonica" until this tour (and this was the second concert of the tour). My jaw dropped to the floor when that fender guitar rocked the Arena.

Here's the complete programme with encores:

http://www.setlist.f...y-13f3955d.html

So where do I begin... I'm just gonna type this ad hoc... after a 4 hour car ride from Novi Sad (Serbia), the three of us arrived in a very cold Budapest (Hungary). I got my ticket back in august; my two friends were more adventurous and arrived ticketless to a sold out concert. So at 7 PM, in I go reluctantly, leaving them with the "We need two tickets" sign. They got in 15 minutes later. So once inside, and it's one more hour until the start, I've decided to check out the merch stand. And what a stand it was! Like for some rock star. You can get the idea by visiting this page:

http://enniomorricon...s.com/index.php

I immediately went for the LP-sized 50-page programme and then I bought the "Live in Moscow 2012" DVD.

So anyhow, I've taken my seat some 20 meters from the stage, great view. Chatting with a nice hungarian couple, it was a third EM concert for them as well. Apparently, they were clueless about any merchandise being sold, so I've sent them in the right direction and they bought the programme.

Ennio stepped to the podium at 8:20 PM, the concert was as usual divided in two parts, there was a 20 minutes intermission, the concert ended at 10:50 PM. The first part ended as always with the Leone segment. The second set started with the "Hateful eight", and when that badass main theme intro started... oh man. When "Bestiality" kicked in, all I could think about was [spoiler!] the puking scene from the film. I loved the whole programme (bit disappointed that the "Sicilian Clan" was dropped from the "Scattered Sheets" section of the concert); so "The mission" finale is here, and I'm thinking the only piece that is missing (to me) is the crowd favourite "Abolisson", but then again I've heard it on two previous occasions, so no big deal right? Anyhow, Ennio comes out for the first encore, he looks at the pianist who takes the position at the organ... I go "Can it be... ?" ... and then the Abolisson's powerful intro kicks in. BAM! That's it. It blew the roof off the Arena.

As I exit along with 12,000 other folks, I find my two buddies with no problem; I think for 10 minutes we were enthusiastically talking over each other. Got in the car and off to Serbia, got in Novi Sad under 3 hours, must've been a record, but there was virtually no one else apart from us on the border.

For anyone interested, here are the tour dates:

https://www.facebook...f=page_internal

Edited by Okudzhava, 05 November 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#52 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

what a great recap, it made me wish I was there!

#53 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

Thank you kindly. As for the encore piece, "Abolisson", I cannot describe how powerful it sounded live - the cool intro... the powerful choir... and then when you think it's over, the short reprise bit... it really is quite something live. Here's the studio version, it's from the film "Burn" (1969):

... and here's a live version, from Venice 2007:

PLAY IT LOUD

#54 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

I love Morricone! That was such a great story, I'm so jealous of you. 

#55 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Cheers. You should try and catch him on the tour. Are you in the US? No luck then, I'm afraid; the only time he gave a concert there - two concerts actually - was on the 2nd & 3rd of february 2007 in NYC. United Nations Headquarters on the first date, and the Radio City Music Hall on the second. He cancelled the Hollywood Bowl 2009 concert and NYC & LA 2014 concerts (injury).

On the other hand, think how John Williams fans in Europe must feel; the last time he gave concerts here was in july of 1998 in London...

#56 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

Just saw Gary Clark Jr. last night at the House of Blues in San Diego. Luckily I was able to get a spot on the rail. So fucking amazing.

Someone caught part of When My Train Pulls In. 

#57 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

That is so cool Matt^^^

I love to see shows in HOB's. Nice venues :)

#58 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Gary Clark Jr. again. Last night at Humphreys Concerts By The Bay in San Diego. Beautiful outdoor venue. I think I died and went to heaven after the show. So much better than the last GCJ and I didn't think that was possible.

#59 looktouch

looktouch

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

Edited by looktouch, 06 August 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#60 looktouch

looktouch

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

Fleetwood Mac 2 years ago. It was a great show❤️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users