62 replies to this topic

#1 Melon

Melon

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

if this exists already i can't find it on the searcher....

curious to see who people enjoyed seeing live the most and why.

so i guess lets hear every show you've attended and wich was best and why...

can't wait to hear!

#2 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hmmm ... my all time favourite shows:

Ed Keupper (ex Saints, Laughing Clowns) solo and electric at a pub in country Victoria some time in the late '90s

T-Model Ford at his first Australian show at The Punters Club, October 2000

Reobert Belfour in 2008 at the Wangaratta Jazz Festival

Syl Johnson at the Corner Hotel, 2009

Bob Dylan & Patti Smith, Rod Laver Arena, 1998

There's heaps more but these ones jump straight into my brain.

#3 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

I like what me and my sister term "low key gigs".

We all know, the headlining set of a big festival...can feel amazing, the atmosphere, the energy, the sense of occasion.

But I love the low-key gig too. The fourteenth night of the tour in some anonymous venue in an ordinary town...the one that shouldn't be great on paper but then still kicks ass.

I saw Eels at Leeds University in October 2001. Just an ordinary tour night, didn't really know what to expect...and it was FUCKING AMAZING.

#4 Paganini Alfredo

Paganini Alfredo

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Low key gigs are the absolute best for me. I've been to some festivals, and, well its not for me. Sometimes its good to catch a band that is not really huge yet or has never been big and see them up close and personal.

#5 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

I'm someone who hasn't been to that many shows, so I'll just try to list them all. In no order of preference or date.

The Strokes (twice)
The Raconteurs
Weezer
The Pipettes
Ben Folds
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Nickel Creek
The Grass Roots (in a very shamefully aged version of "themselves")
Kings of Leon (twice, back in their early days, pre-because of the times)
Ben Kweller (three times)
Adam Green

pretty sure thats it. None of those shows aside from the Grass Roots disappointed me. The best was probablyyyy The Raconteurs and Ben Folds (it was a show with the Boston Symphony Orchestra....POWERFUL performance)

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 27 January 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#6 JohnC

JohnC

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

The best live act I've seen ... The Flaming Lips , I've also had the pleasure of dancing on stage with them 3 times !

#7 TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

The Raconteurs (first concert ever) 08
Devendra Banhart (festival) 09
Modest Mouse (festival) 09
M.I.A (festival) 09
The Dead Weather (festival) 09

saw others, but none were was good as those =)

Edited by TheLizardKing, 28 January 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#8 Sweet Rita

Sweet Rita

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Two of my favorite shows that I've been to ever, the White Stripes in 2005 and the first time I saw Arcade Fire in 2007. Both were absolutely magical in their own way. :wub:

#9 Jami3

Jami3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

The best live act I've seen ... The Flaming Lips , I've also had the pleasure of dancing on stage with them 3 times !

This. Except only 1 time onstage

#10 Donnnieeee

Donnnieeee

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

My favorite concerts were Ladytron, The Raconteurs and The Raveonettes. The Kills were pretty awesome too.
I usually prefer small venues; so much so that I often don't bother going to see my favorite bands when they come to my city.
Although I'm so glad I saw The White Stripes on their big Canadian tour.

#11 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,572 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

The Flaming Lips ones have been my favorite shows as well. Then Calexico was just magic.

#12 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,697 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Glass Tiger - the band played in my small hometown sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. My dad and I arrived early to pick up my sister and her friends. A security guard let us in the back door. :lol:
ZZ Top and George Thorogood
AC/DC - 1996 and 2009
U2 - the tour with the elaborate stage. Bono appeared from inside a large lemon.
Black Sabbath - with Ozzy!
Page & Plant
Sarah Harmer
Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia
The White Stripes - 2005 and 2007
Def Lepppard
Sam Roberts & Sloan - Sam Roberts kicked arse.
The Raconteurs - 2008
The Tragically Hip - 3 times

There are a few others but they don't come immediately to mind. Favourite was either Page & Plant or TWS 2007.

#13 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sam Roberts & Sloan - Sam Roberts kicked arse.

You spoke the truth right there !!!
Sam's awesome !!!

#14 mylittlecreamsoda

mylittlecreamsoda

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

the last couple years i've made it out to a lot of shows, but these are the ones that stuck out the most to me

-the hives: twice. looking back they are kind of cartoonish, but damn those concerts were fun. i had just gotten a concussion playing hockey the night before one of them but i went anyway. nothing has ever rivaled the headache i had the next day.
-the raconteurs: unbe-fucking-leivable. period.
-flogging molly: they came out to my school. in eastern washington (the middle of fucking nowhere). why? i still don't know, but i'm so grateful. i blew out my eardrum the week before playing football with people from my dorm (see a recurring theme here?) but i put in earplugs and went anyway. it was such a good night. that might not have been the best concert i've been to but it'll probably always be my favorite.
-the helio sequence: a friend of mine liked them so i went for the hell of it. they were pretty solid live (a lot more punch i guess than on their albums). the drummer just about single handedly made the show. they played in an old movie theater which i thought was kind of cool.
-bedouin soundclash: this reggae band from toronto. perfect summer concert.
-the dead weather: went with my mom (who's in love with jack). i had to leave for school the next day which sucked and made the whole thing kind of sad but it was a hell of a way to end a rough summer.
-modest mouse: they went through a lot of older stuff. i love modest mouse and to hear some stuff i would have never dreamed i would get to hear live was really special.
-portugal. the man: if you haven't heard of them before, look them up (start with church mouth though). they are amazing live. possibly the best show i've been to.
-them crooked vultures: i went more just to see JPJ and dave grohl than anything, but i came out a little surprised at how good everything else was too. dave grohl is such a beast on drums though. i wonder if this was his first time on the kit in seattle since nirvana? it was kind of surreal seeing some of these people whose music i've pretty much breathed since i was about 5 years old (nirvana and zeppelin, and i've always liked qotsa since they've been around). but not quite as surreal as...
-julian casablancas: jules seemed pretty sloshed. there was hardly anyone there. the showbox is fairly small as it is, and i'd have been shocked to hear that it was more than half-full that night. you wouldn't have known watching julian though. he shook everyone's hand within reach and put a lot into every song. the whole thing was so surreal. here's the singer of the strokes, not only one of my favorite bands, but easily one of the biggest bands of the last decade, playing to about 600 people right there in front of me, putting everything he's got into it? all the videos of the strokes i've seen, i've never seen anyone attack the mic stand like he does, it was so damn weird seeing that play out 20 feet in front of me. if we're on a scale of "weird-but-great" it was about an eight, with a ten being jack playing in the same situation.

sorry, that got a lot longer than i thought it was going to, lol. i love talking about concerts though, they're almost like a religious experience for me.

Edited by mylittlecreamsoda, 29 January 2010 - 02:49 AM.

#15 Treatment

Treatment

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:27 AM

One of my favourite bands to go see is The Wildhearts, aside from all the Jacky White bands of course. There's a real party kind of an atmosphere when they come on and everyone is jumping around. The band know how to have fun and it's awesomely loud.

I absolutely loved seeing Cut In The Hill Gang at the Luminare in London. Not only were they one fire, but about 6 members of the crowd decided that there were going to do somekind of jive dancing. The men were almost literally throwing their women around the place. It even prompted Johnny to try and get a dancing contest going between everyone...but no one was really brave enough to compete with them.

#16 bikedo

bikedo

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Too many to mention.
I so enjoy live shows and 99.9% have been between good and great.
There's just something about seeing a band playing live that is hard to describe.

Here are some of the bands/shows that I can think of right now

White Stripes '01/'02'/03 especially
Patti Smith always amazing
Pearl Jam mid 90's
The Cure
Janes Addiction
Editors
The Cult '86
The Waterboys
Joe Jackson
The Sugarcubes 80's
Ani diFranco
Smashing Pumpkins
Madonna
The Stones
Arctic Monkeys
Tori Amos
Fishbone
Beck '94
Raconteurs
The Pogues
REM '85
Pixies
Sonic Youth '91
Radiohead
U2 '84-'06
David Bowie
Morrissey
PJ Harvey
Marc Almond
The Alarm
The Ramones
Big Country
Blondie
Dead Weather
The Mission
Cowboy Junkies
Gene Loves Jezebel
Kate Nash
Marc Almond
Depeche Mode '85
INXS
CoCoRosie
Elvis Costello
Dirtbombs
Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy
Alice in Chains
Bjork
Human League
Kraftwerk
Sinead O'Conor
Portishead
Nada Surf
Suede
Suicidal Tendencies
Maria McKee
Duran Duran

This whole list brings back a lot of great memories and there are way more I can't even think of right now.

Edited by bikedo, 30 January 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#17 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:39 AM

Mayyors, Lightning Bolt, Reatard, Okmoniks, Nobunny, Masshysteri, Lover, Psychedelic Horseshit, Thomas Function, Wax Museums countless times, Bad Sports, Hex Dispensers, Hunx, Terrible Twos, FNU Ronnies, The Weakends, Smith Westerns, Black Lips, Box Elders, Tokyo Electron, Charlie And The Moonhearts, Ty Segall 1 Man, Thee Ohsees/Ohsees/OCS, Yikes, Acid Mothers Temple, Marked Men, Silver Shampoo, Human Eye, Personal And The Pizzas, King Tuff, Lil Daggers, Yuppies, Red Mass, Demon's Claws, Chocolat, The Intelligence, Cheap Time, Dutches and The Duke, Fe Fi Fo Fumz, Hipshakes, Paul Collins Beat, Beat Beat Beat, CPC Gangbangs, The Shitty Beach Boys, King Khan And BBQ, Mark Sultan, and a few others i cant really think of right now.

#18 Melon

Melon

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

some of you guys i'm soooo jealous of. heres mine:

The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bad Reaction, Rabies, JFA, The Crowd, The Adolescents, TSOL, Critical Picnic, Harpoon Guns, Video Disease, Cat Party, Le Face, Bob Dylan, Mika Miko, X, Friendly Neighbors, Agent Orange, cand beleive i forgot BUZZCOCKS! haha theres prolly more i forgot :/ oh well.

ahhggh theres so many more those are the first i cold think of.

Stripes always rule. Harpoon Guns show where they got banned from "the clinic" was an awsome experience. & Dylan was amazing truely amazing saw him at the Palladium in Nov... heard it was the best he's been.

Edited by babycarrotrecords, 07 February 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#19 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

The Cars (first concert!), Dire Straits, Laurie Anderson, Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel, Billy Joel, Talking Heads (yess! but a very long time ago), Hall & Oates (lolz), Elvis Costello, REM, Erasure, John Fogerty, Oingo Boingo, McCartney, Beck, Arcade Fire, Belle and Sebastian, The Decemberists, Paul Simon, David Byrne, Flaming Lips, Mason Jennings, the Mountain Goats,and the White Stripes. and some others I can't remember right now. too hard to pick a favorite.

#20 ledhead

ledhead

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Favorite Show:
White Stripes 2005 Detroit, MI @ Masonic Theater (2nd Night)

Close Seconds:
Dead Weather - Columbus, OH 2009
Mars Volta - Bonnaroo 09 (you would have to be in my state of mind)
Black Keys - Columbus, OH 2008

I tend to find that the most recent shows I go to are almost always my favorite...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users