470 replies to this topic

#1 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hope this isn't unkosher of me to start a new Nick Cave thread when there's already an old one but I figured there's gonna be a deluge of stuff with the new single coming out soon, so might as well have it's own little niche. If not, could a mod merge the threads? : ) Thanks.

The new single can be heard here:
http://elbo.ws/searc...nick cave&sort=
http://community.liv...=923315#t923315

Oh and apparently you can hear the B-side here:
http://www.myspace.com/diglazarusdig

I can't access it so I know someone wants to download it and put it up somewhere other than the usual filesharing sites. Wink wink.

Anyway, some news:

The first single from the album DIG, LAZARUS, DIG!!!- and the album’s title track - DIG, LAZARUS, DIG!!! - is released on February 18th 2008. It will be available as a limited edition 7”, CD and download. The B-side features another new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds song Accidents Will Happen.

"Ever since I can remember hearing the Lazarus story, when I was a kid, you know, back in church, I was disturbed and worried by it. Traumatized, actually. We are all, of course, in awe of the greatest of Christ's miracles - raising a man from the dead - but I couldn't help but wonder how Lazarus felt about it. As a child it gave me the creeps, to be honest. I've taken Lazarus and stuck him in New York City, in order to give the song, a hip, contemporary feel. I was also thinking about Harry Houdini who spent a lot of his life trying to debunk the spiritualists who were cashing in on the bereaved. He believed there was nothing going on beyond the grave. He was the second greatest escapologist, Harry was, Lazarus, of course, being the greatest. I wanted to create a kind of vehicle, a medium, for Houdini to speak to us if he so desires, you know, from beyond the grave. Sometimes, late at night, if you listen to the song hard enough, you can hear his voice and the sad clanking of his chains. "I don't know what it is but there is definitely something going on upstairs", he seems to be saying. It is, most of all, an elegy to the New York City of the 70's." - Nick Cave

#2 JohnC

JohnC

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

very freekin cool

#3 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Seriously? I thought there were lots of Nick Cave fans on here...
I'm not quite sure what to think of the single. It's not as much like Grinderman as they had previously claimed.

Here it is rar-ed for any lazy bumpkins: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5v184l

#4 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

I love it!

or i think so. It's definitly GOOD though. i <3 chrizz

#5 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

<3

I just realised how incredibly short it is for a Nick Cave song. Wow!

#6 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

The single is like a combination of Grinderman and Bad Seeds, it's different. I like it.

#7 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

It does have a Grinderman feel of "Go Tell The Women" but I was hoping for more "Honey Bee" hrrm.

A revue, if you will:
http://www.uncut.co....mp;pb=1#more574

Nick Cave's "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!"
2007-12-18 11:21:28

A few weeks, maybe months ago, someone left a note after one of my blogs with some insider knowledge about the next Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds LP. It was, they suggested, the most direct pop album that Cave had ever made: after the Stoogesy ramalams of Grinderman and the meditative western soundtracks, here, apparently, was the workaholic Cave at his most focused and dynamic.

Continued...

I’ve been living with “Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!” for a while now, and in a way that gossip was right. But this is one of those curious records that initially appear immediate, but which only become genuinely compelling after multiple listens. It’s bony, dispassionate, far from the confessional intensity of, say, “The Boatman’s Call”, and, in spite of the title, with less religious brow-furrowing than usual. Two things stand out. One, it’s really funny. Two, it’s really groovy.

If there’s a Cave album it reminds me of right now, it’s “Let Love In”, and chiefly the “Harlem Shuffle” vibes of “Red Right Hand”. That’s how it begins with the title track, and continues for most of the record – with a sinewy, dusty and happily malign take on funk. Martyn Casey’s bass often seems to be the dominant instrument (especially on “Today’s Lesson”), and a lot of the other Bad Seeds seem to squirt and explode in and out of a capacious mix.

There’s a lot of economy and ideas in the playing here – it’s only rarely that you get a sense of the massed thunder of The Bad Seeds all clattering away at once. On the quite wonderful “Moonland” (a tense and beautiful rethink of a bunch of clichés involving cars, stars, snow, pensive time alone, and a whispering DJ on the radio), the low-slung atmospherics are punctuated by this weird, tight little drum rolls. On “Hold On To Yourself”, Warren Ellis’ violin flits in and out in the background like a bee swarm.

Ellis seems to have taken over as Cave’s de facto musical director from Mick Harvey, though his fiddle is sparingly used. Instead, he meticulously organises guitars that creak like rusted hinges, and bluesy drum loops (on “Night Of The Lotus Eaters”) that could even have wandered off an early Beck record. The feel is still distinctly Cave-esque, though, since the open spaces allow the singer to squeeze in more words than ever.

There’s a rollicking, picaresque feel to plenty of these songs (the title track, “Albert Goes West”, the litany of girls he’s loved before in the traditionally lengthy, verbose, Dylanish closer, “More News From Nowhere”), accentuated by the blokey choruses provided by the Bad Seeds. Much like the Grinderman set, Cave still has that stentorian gravity of legend, but his enjoyment in all this is much more open now.

This comes to a head in “We Call Upon The Author”, a particularly gripping ramalam which finds Cave strenuously parodying himself as a beat poet and arbiter of staunch bohemian values in a world gone bad, or at the very least facile. “Our myxomatoid kids spraddle the streets,” he raves, hilariously, then yells, “Prolix! Prolix! Nothing a pair of scissors can’t fix!” He coins a couple of new verbs, to guru and to mediocre, exclaims “Bukowski was a jerk! Berryman was best!” (which’ll definitely please Craig Finn) and lets a dying author pronounce, “Everything is banal and jejune”. It’s a genuinely funny, seriously erudite visitation of Grumpy Old Men. And it rocks, of course.

Only once, I think, do we spot much personal detail. “Jesus Of The Moon” is one of those bruised and rueful ballads like “Rock Of Gibraltar”, in which latterday Cave grapples with the value – and the sometimes tricky realities – of a long-term emotional commitment. It’s here that he seems to come upon a manifesto for “Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!” itself: “People often talk about being scared of change, but I’m more afraid of things staying the same,” he sings. “Cause the game is never won, By standing in any one place for too long.”
John Mulvey

#8 Christeena

Christeena

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

I don't really like the single, it sounds too... funky? I don't know, maybe it'll grow on me.

#9 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

It has grown on me since I first heard it. Although it still falls short from his best work. A lot.

#10 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

The backing chorus was a bit annoying at first but I find myself chanting along with them now.

Speaking of which, I don't know who was responsible for the "he's got some words of wisdom" backing vocals on "Get It On" but I hope to got he never "sings" again. And I hope/think he's not doing any backing vocals on DLD!!!, thank god.

#11 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Why??? Whats so bad with that? I love that line!
edit: GET READY FOR LOOOVEEEEEEEEEEE GET READY GET READY
Well most of all nothing much ever really happens and god rides high up in the ordinary sky

Edited by ZORRO!, 19 December 2007 - 02:42 PM.

#12 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

The lyric is fine but the dude can't sing. It ruins the whole song! He's like a male version of Meg singing (although I admittedly like it when she does sing).

Edited by Mother Boy, 19 December 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#13 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

hey i cant sing either, and i grab the vocalz in one band : (

i thought we were buddies and here you go FUCKING IT ALL UP

WHY IS IT YOU DONT LOVE ME ANYMORE?!

BABY WHY DONT YOU LIE?! IS THERE SOMEONE ELSE!???

WHAT SHOULD I GET FOR DINNER TOMORROW?

#14 SEVEN FORNICATION ARMY

SEVEN FORNICATION ARMY

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

It has grown on me since I first heard it. Although it still falls short from his best work. A lot.

On the Nick Cave scale of win this is definetly nearer The Mercy Seat than No More Shall We Part. Thankfully.

#15 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

WHAT SHOULD I GET FOR DINNER TOMORROW?

“Fried cheese... with club sauce.”
“Popcorn shrimp... with club sauce.”
“Chicken fingers...” ".... with club sauce."

On the Nick Cave scale of win this is definetly nearer The Mercy Seat than No More Shall We Part. Thankfully.

No More Shall We Part is so good... what're you talking about :angry:

#16 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

HAHA! oh man, i need to really watch that show. i never followed it, but loved it when i saw it! something to fill up my spare time until its always sunny in philly, lost and entourage comes back.

also, ill be buying "let love in" this friday! nope, i dont have it. i only actually OWN murder ballads and abattoir/orpheus. : \

#17 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

i have one word to describe this new song: magnetic.

motherfucking magnetic. i dont know why, but i love it. the whole theme and shit, but i hate analyzing songs and stuff like that. it makes them owrthless and boring mostly. i like how nicks songs are always... like, human or realistic in one way, but it's never social realism. i dont really know where im getting with that. but it's like a tale disguised in modern society. in the good way. not the lame theatre way. yoyo. dig yourself lazarus

#18 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

also, ill be buying "let love in" this friday! nope, i dont have it. i only actually OWN murder ballads and abattoir/orpheus. : \

Shit, it's Friday over there already ain't it? Did you buy it yet?!

i like how nicks songs are always... like, human or realistic in one way, but it's never social realism. i dont really know where im getting with that. but it's like a tale disguised in modern society. in the good way. not the lame theatre way. yoyo. dig yourself lazarus

I'd call some of it, especially DLD!!!, modern magic realism. The feeling is definitely there.

OH and just so this is on topic:

Nick Cave will be making a special appearance on Shaun Keaveny’s BBC 6Music breakfast show at 9am(GMT) on Boxing Day(December 26th).

This will be one of the first opportunities to listen to music from Cave's new album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (Mute).

The upcoming release - slated to drop March 3, 2008 - will be the group's fourteenth studio album. Cave has stated that this album will 'sound like Grinderman', implying a garage rock sound.

Grinderman, Cave's other group, released their self titled debut via Mute earlier this year(March 5). Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! will be the first album after this divergence.

Cave explains: “It (Grinderman's debut) ended up being an extremely important record, not just because it’s a good record, but because it’ll impact on the Bad Seeds significantly, and where the Bad Seeds go musically.”

http://mog.com/Sturg...log_post/131942

Edited by Mother Boy, 20 December 2007 - 08:59 AM.

#19 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

Shit, it's Friday over there already ain't it? Did you buy it yet?!
I'd call some of it, especially DLD!!!, modern magic realism. The feeling is definitely there.

OH and just so this is on topic:

no, it's actually friday the 45th of xinuary. it's basically the future.

doofus, this is not australia or some shit like that. i'm only like 4-8 hours before you! : D friday is TOMORROW.

and yeah, that song is definitly like that. it's just the overall theme of his lyrics. or maybe it's the way i feel when i hear them. andddd i have Dig, lazarus, DIG!!!!!!!!111ononethree on repeat and it's like a neverending awesome song with british chatter in it.

Edited by ZORRO!, 20 December 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#20 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

Tour plz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users