Photo

say something controversial

• Please log in to reply
5700 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_mrsimonray_*

Guest_mrsimonray_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm not American and I love lots of American country music. Just not that crud Gretchen Wilson and Keith Urban spew out. Blegh.

#42 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

I don't like The Grateful Dead. They have exactly three acceptible songs. Truckin' and Casey Jones as performed by themselves, and Friend Of The Devil as performed by Bob Dylan on some live concert bootleg. My problem with The Dead isn't just the smelly hippies that followed them around, it's the arrogance of thinking you can 'jam' on one song for an hour - and not only expect people not to riot, but expect them to record it and love it! Horrible.

I don't like Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd was only good when Syd Barrett was in the band. I defy you to name a more pretentious band. "The Wall"? Big-budget idiotic stoned ramblings.

I don't like most of what Lou Reed has put out since like 1977 or so. "Magic And Loss" was especially terrible. "New York" had a couple good songs on it. "Set The Twilight Reeling" had some good stuff. And he had one live album that was pretty good. But other than that, pretentious city. And that Velvet Underground reunion was useless, since they didn't play in The United States.

I don't like Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn. I know I've bitched about them before. They're just so fucking boring! Great, dude. You can play a lot of hard notes on the guitar. Yippee! But there's no soul to their music. It's just a bunch of showing off guitar solos. And neither one could sing. I like some old Yardbirds stuff though, Clapton might've played on some of that.

I don't like U2. Some of their early stuff was okay, I guess. But Saint Bono? Give me a fucking break. You're not The Pope, shut up and sing. If you want to complain about the world, do it through song, don't have meetings with the President! Ass. He needs some Bob Dylan and Steve Earle albums shoved up his ass. And why is he and Bruce Springsteen licking the rectums of every other musician on VH1 every five minutes? Enough paying tribute, man! Do your own thing! Same goes for Jack White.

I don't like heavy metal. Black Sabbath had exactly two good songs. Motley Crue had exactly two good albums. Guns & Roses had two good albums. But Metallica? Britney Fox? King Diamond? Megadeath? Poison? Warrant? Slaughter? Ratt? No thank you. Idiotic music for idiotic people. This stuff and the modern country music (Garth Brooks), they have the same audience. Morons with a flag in one hand, a beer in the other, and their mother's dick up their ass.

And I don't see what's so 'not mediocre' about Tupac Shakur.

Edited by mittensonfire, 04 March 2005 - 12:35 PM.

#43 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

I can't fucking stand the Tragically Hip. I don't understand why people say that they're Canada's best band and that they've been going strong for however many years when all of their songs sound the same and grate on my nerves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same about Big Sugar too. Sure, they're all capable musicians, but damn if they aren't boring as hell.

I think Turbonegro and the Darkness fall into the same catagory of big dumb rock music. It's the same damn thing! big riffs, the costumes, the embarrassing lyrics... it makes me laugh when their respective fans hate each other.

I hate the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Karen O has got to be the worst singer ever, getting by on bizarre behavior and fashion choices. Boring. I hope I never have to see her ugly mug on another hipster magazine cover. Scrawny Nick has some talent, but he irritates me as well, now. Quit co-opting Nick Cave's old look! They're like a fashion art band, but lame.

I feel better now. :)

#44 ChuckBerry

ChuckBerry

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

Thank god I'm not the only person who thinks Turbonegro isn't all that. I also hate the Lost Sounds. Can't help it.

#45 Jack Flash

Jack Flash

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:59 PM

Pet Sounds and Astral Weeks are the most overated LP's in the history of Rock 'N' Roll.

PS is a good album, but not the greatest of all time or even in the top 50. I'd say only about four of the songs stand out whilst the rest are twee, overly fey and clawing.

AW, apart from the amazing opening track, is a rambling mess of unstructered nonsense with unitillegible singing from Van Morrison

Pink Floyd and The Doors are fucking atrocious.

Any bands that require you to take drugs to appreciate them are no good at all in my book. The Doors were fronted by a humourless dullard and PF's fans are humourless dullards.

Pink Floyd are former architect students. Case closed, the, eh, bottom line.

Edited by Jack Flash, 04 March 2005 - 02:08 PM.

#46 wingedfeetxc

wingedfeetxc

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

Oh yeah, I think the Door are terribly overrated. Morrison just isn't that good. I will say that had some great stuff but then some people worship them more then the Beatles. I just don't understand. They are almost like a mainstream cult band. It's annoying. The fans are annoying. They think Morrison is Rimbaud or something. No. Just no. And Ray whatever-his-last-name-is, the keyboard player, is an annoying pretentious asshole. Can't stand him.

Jam bands in general suck I think. I will admit that I haven't listened to them that much so I guess it's more the culture then the music that pisses me off. Why don't you just go and smoke weed and drop acid with a large group of people? Why go through all the effort of trying to pretend you love the music as well? Does that somehow absolve you from the guilt you get from ingesting massive amounts of drugs?

#47 deron the exploder

deron the exploder

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:24 PM

i agree with Pink Floyd...may be my least favorite band of all time...all the songs sound the same to me

i also hate (except for a few songs)
Radiohead...........ZING!!!!

#48 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:25 PM

Radiohead

Yeah, their last couple albums have sucked barrels of dick. Wankery crap that you can't connect to.

#49 jimmy_the_explorer

jimmy_the_explorer

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

So what is im gay? Will you still love me?

#50 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

Probably.

#51 deron the exploder

deron the exploder

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

By the way, The Misfits does not count as the crap I mentioned, neither do Turbonegro.

Yes, i agree...the misfits and turbonegro are great...but i fucking hate the wankers who walk around with the same Misfits shirt (much like the slipknot crew) and call themselves hardcore-punk. I love the misfits, but looking at me youd never guess it....and i dont consider myself to "be hardcore-punk" either...in fact....i dont consider myself to "be" anything. I also hate that...people who "call themselves" a particular style or genre...its stupid.

#52 sindel77

sindel77

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

Stereptypical stoner bands...ie, Greatful Dead.

The Greatful Dead don't have one good song, period. In fact, I challenge anyone claiming to be a fan even name a Greatful Dead song.

#53 Guest_devilchickee_*

Guest_devilchickee_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

I can't get into the Beatles. Sure I appreciate how they opened the for all these people and shit, but really, its boring. I like some songs, they're a pretty good band, but I can't get into it. Everyone praises them like they're the fucking messiah and I'm sick of it. All these fucks that go on and on and on, shut up. Everyone knows the Beatles are the biggest and best and all that shit, you don't need to tell me and everyone else a million times over.

Oh and Radiohead, they bother me alot too. I try and try, but Thom is so fucking moany and boring. I wish they had another fucking singer. And if that makes the band, then I don't like the band. I like a song or two, but mostly everything I've heard is just so much bullshit.

#54 jimmy_the_explorer

jimmy_the_explorer

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:02 PM

Stereptypical stoner bands...ie, Greatful Dead.

The Greatful Dead don't have one good song, period.  In fact, I challenge anyone claiming to be a fan even name a Greatful Dead song.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got a better one! "The grateful dead? what are they, heavy metal?"

#55 changa

changa

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

I like this thread.

I don't like any new Green Day songs that I've heard so far, I heard my sister blaring "Holiday" today like it was no one's business and it sounded exactly like "Walking Contradiction." I'm not even a big fan of older Green Day, but this stuff is shiiit.

And I hate how my 12 year old sister is all "ooh, I loooove Green Day" when all she does is strum Boulevard of Broken Dreams all day and she can't play for SHIT. And I tell her that if she's going to listen to Green Day, listen to Basketcase of something I can stand but she just runs off and sings American Idiot, and I fucking HATE how I had Boulevard of Broken Dreams blasted in my ear all lunchtime today.

Man.

#56 deron the exploder

deron the exploder

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

In fact, I challenge anyone claiming to be a fan even name a Greatful Dead song.

are you serious?

Cold Rain and Snow, Viola Lee Blues, New New Minglewood Blues, Cream Puff War, The Golden Road, Cosmic Charlie, St. Stephen, Doin the Rag, Rosemary, Whats Become Of the Baby, Beat It On Down The Line, Sitting On Top Of The World, Truckin, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Uncle Johns Band, Easy Wind, Cumberland Blues, Black Peter, Box of Rain, Eyes of the World, Terrapin Station, Shakedown Street, Friend of the Devil, Operator, Turn On Your Lovelight, Saturday Night, China Cat Sunflower, I Know You Rider, US Blues, Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, Morning Dew, Unbroken Chain, Loose Lucy, Ship of Fools, Candyman, Ripple, Till The Morning Comes, Brokedown Palace, Attics of My Life, Mountains of the Moon, Touch of Grey, High Time, Dire Wolf, New Speedway Boogie, Casey Jones, Estimated Prohpet, Dancing In The Streets, Cryptical Envelopment, Passenger, Alligator, Born Cross-Eyed....

and thats only the songs i can remember right off the top of my head

#57 jimmy_the_explorer

jimmy_the_explorer

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:58 PM

I like this thread.

I don't like any new Green Day songs that I've heard so far, I heard my sister blaring "Holiday" today like it was no one's business and it sounded exactly like "Walking Contradiction." I'm not even a big fan of older Green Day, but this stuff is shiiit.

And I hate how my 12 year old sister is all "ooh, I loooove Green Day" when all she does is strum Boulevard of Broken Dreams all day and she can't play for SHIT. And I tell her that if she's going to listen to Green Day, listen to Basketcase of something I can stand but she just runs off and sings American Idiot, and I fucking HATE how I had Boulevard of Broken Dreams blasted in my ear all lunchtime today.

Man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Green day? Their only good song is american idiot. Their old stuff sucks."

#58 jimmy_the_explorer

jimmy_the_explorer

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

are you serious?

Cold Rain and Snow, Viola Lee Blues, New New Minglewood Blues, Cream Puff War, The Golden Road, OMG I did stuff to your post!!! Cosmic Charlie, St. Stephen, Doin the Rag, Rosemary, Whats Become Of the Baby, Beat It On Down The Line,  Sitting On Top Of The World, Truckin, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Uncle Johns Band, Easy Wind, Cumberland Blues, Black Peter, Box of Rain, Eyes of the World, Terrapin Station, Shakedown Street, Friend of the Devil, Operator, Turn On Your Lovelight, Saturday Night, China Cat Sunflower, I Know You Rider, US Blues, Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, Morning Dew, Unbroken Chain, Loose Lucy, Ship of Fools, Candyman, Ripple, Till The Morning Comes, Brokedown Palace, Attics of My Life, Mountains of the Moon, Touch of Grey, High Time, Dire Wolf, New Speedway Boogie, Casey Jones, Estimated Prohpet, Dancing In The Streets, Cryptical Envelopment, Passenger, Alligator, Born Cross-Eyed....

and thats only the songs i can remember right off the top of my head

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're my new best friend!

#59 redwhite22

redwhite22

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

A more pretentious band than Pink Floyd: One comes to mind, Roger Miller from Mission of Burma's "Bird Songs of the Cretaceous..." free jazz crap I hear...

I really can't stand most modern jazz.

I don't like Radiohead. I'm sorry...some of their songs, but not many.

I'm so tired of stoner bands/music. Like, it's just the drugs, man.

I've never liked Jimi Hendrix...sorry.

I hate most contemporary rap, although I'm a fan of Biggie and NWA and some older stuff.

I like country music. Not a lot of it, but enough to be different.

Stuff My Parents Listen to: I think Billy Joel is an incredible musician, overall. I like Elton John as well. Also, I'm a huge fan of Carole King, and all of her work. She's just a wonderful musician and INCREDIBLE song-writer.

Indie: I think Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is overrated. Ted Leo's newest album sounds like one 30 minute song...sorry guys.

I wasn't impressed with most of Fugazi's "13 Songs." "Waiting Room" was pretty good, though.

I really hate techno and trance. Annoying shit. People who listen to them are stupid.

If there were any justice in this world, Metric's "Old World Underground" would be on the top ten album chart.

I don't care what anyone says, the Beatles are brilliant, everything they did.

Some classical music is incredible and much better than this guitar rock and roll crap.

Finally: Little Richard is a genius and he should have a national holiday dedicated to him and his music.

I'll think of more later...

#60 aspiration

aspiration

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

i've never gotten into interpol, think it's because they suck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I agree, the songs I've heard all sound quite similar, the puppet is waaaay too creepy, and the lead singer's voice is really, really annoying. The voice thing goes for Elefant too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users