5700 replies to this topic

#1 wingedfeetxc

wingedfeetxc

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

Okay, this is a thread to say controversial things about other bands and people and songs and stuff. Is there a band you really hate that everybody else loves? Band you love that everybody else hates? Song? Album? Anything at all. One catch, you have to backup your claims. You can't just throw random statements out there.

I'll start.

White Light/White Heat by the Velvet Underground is a terrible album. It is. I'm no stickler for production. My favorite albums tend to be lo-fi indie albums that sound like they were recorded over a telephone onto a Edison wax cylinder recorder. But this is just inexcuseable. It sounds like below demo quality. It sounds like something a bunch of high school kids taped while stoned.

The title track is decent, sounds like a demo recorded in a garbage can. It's nice enough, not much bad to say about it but not much good either.

"Gift" is a cool concept for a song that is cool for exactly one listen. Then it's a boring 8 minute pretentious-thon. It's just an Edgar Allen Poe rip off spoken word story read by John Cale with his cool welsh accent. There is a semi-intresting riff in one speaker that gets boring halfway though and in the other speaker is Cale reading the story. 0 replayablity factor. Hear it once and that's it.

"Lady Godiva's Operation" is again an intreting concept that is horribly executed and sounds pathetic for it. Lyrically, the song is pretty cool and intresting. Cale sings the song with Reed occasionally jumping in to finish a sentence for him. Cool idea, I guess. If you want to call that "experimentation" go ahead. I perfer to call it middle school. It sounds terrible how they do it too. It sounds like it was done with a cassette tape, a pair of sissors, and some glue. This is probably my favorite song on the album and when I burned it onto a mix tape I made for myself the other day, I skipped through it the first time I listened to the mix.

"Here She Comes Now" is half finished. That's what it sounds like cause that's what it is. Sounds like a rought demo of a song that had a lot of potential but needed to be worked on and developed. If you want to hear how awesome this song could have been, listen to the version Nirvana did of it. I'm no nirvana lover but I absoutly love their version. It's awesome. Why couldn't the VU have done it right the first time!

"I Heard Her Call My Name" is okay I guess. Again, intresting concept. Guy's mind gets blow and you get to hear it in all it's feedback glory. This song is mainly just annoying. Again, nothing against feedback. I love Sonic Youth. But this is just kinda annoying. Even Metal Machine Music is less annoying.

Finally, the whole reason music critics go ape shite of this song, "Sister Ray". A 2 minute song inexplicably lengthed to 17 minutes. Why? Did the VU run out of half developed ideas to stick on this album? It's actually not a bad song. The riff is killer. It just....goes....on....forever.....and....never....changes. It doesn't even go on in a cool, drony kinda way. Just in an annoying way. I get the idea Lou, she's sucking on your ding dong. Good for you. Why do you need to tell us this over and over??? Again, this sounds like a demo. A poorly made demo. It was recorded live and it sounds like it. Actually, there is nothing wrong with recording stuff live. Just when it sounds like a poor quality bootleg, then you have issues.

There is one reason why this album is so renound. Cause it has the Velvet Underground name on it. If a band today came out with this album, it would get 1 or 0 stars from every reviewer. Only cause the VU is the patron saint of "underground" bands (I'm sorry, when the Olsen twins wear a shirt with your band on it, your no longer underground) is this piece of crap considered one of the best albums of all time.

Okay, that's the start. Now either post your controversial opinions of blast me for mine. This could get fun.

#2 rat

rat

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Quite frankly I am sick of all the attention that The Beatles get. I don't really like them.

#3 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:41 PM

Pink Floyd is boring.

The Beach Boys are unlistenable.

If I have to watch another video about the Beatles, I will throw up.

#4 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

One catch, you have to backup your claims.  You can't just throw random statements out there. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 wingedfeetxc

wingedfeetxc

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:44 PM

Pink Floyd is boring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto that for sure. First album is kinda cool. Then they get all spacy and annoying and boring.

#6 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

The Beach Boys are unlistenable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you deny that God Only Knows is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and that Good Vibrations is a piece of genius, pop perfection?

#7 VanillaCokeClock

VanillaCokeClock

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

I just bought White Light/ White Heat, and while I don't think it's amazing, it's not that bad.

Edited by VanillaCokeClock, 29 October 2005 - 08:02 PM.

#8 Red_And_White

Red_And_White

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

i hate led zeppliin, they bug the heck out of me.

i think that blanche is kinda crappy.

#9 7nationsoldier3

7nationsoldier3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

AC/DC is over-rated.

#10 Dr. Acula

Dr. Acula

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

no-one... bag... blanche... again...

i know you guys are all talking about old bands and that, but i think kings of leon are friggin gay, i can't understand a word they say and their melodies are often unlistenable. oh and i don't like iggy pop. ouch.

#11 wingedfeetxc

wingedfeetxc

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

I would also like to say that this band that I'm sure nobody on this board has heard of, The Music Tapes, is actually amazing. They released an album a few years ago and everybody canned it. It got a 2.7 from pitchfork and that was about the average. The best review I saw gave it a 6.5 I think. Everybody else is wrong. The Music Tapes are incredible. I'm sorry, but the other people just don't get it. 1st Imaginary Symphony for Nomad is one of my favorite albums of all time now. It posseses this wide eyed childhood innocense to it. It's wonderful.

#12 Red_And_White

Red_And_White

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

haha plenty controversy here now, and im not a foggot for not liking bands, i could call you a faggot for calling my bands faggoty, but im not, so stop being a faggot for calling me a faggot for calling bands you like faggoty

#13 Child

Child

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

im sick of all the attention the ramones and rancid get these days from my fellow teenagers at school... i fucking hate them both....

#14 Red_And_White

Red_And_White

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:07 PM

i agree about rancid

#15 dougie

dougie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

The Killers piss me off. Especially the indie rock and roll track.

:offtopic: Where the fuck is the old stab smiley? I miss it :(

Guess this will do for now Posted Image

#16 jackandmeg

jackandmeg

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:07 AM

I think Paul has no talent, i.e. Wings...

#17 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:25 AM

Can you deny that God Only Knows is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and that Good Vibrations is a piece of genius, pop perfection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't like the falsetto. Good vibrations is pretty good, though.

#18 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:42 AM

Led Zeppelin are crap

#19 offensive_gesture

offensive_gesture

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:47 AM

i cannot stand my friends thinking they're all that and a bag of potato chips when the only pink floydd album is dark side of the moon, and the only zeppelin album they have is 4. and also my friend thinking he's hardcore for liking tool and slipknot, and calling himself anti-mainstream, when he's a die-hard fan of the killers and of basically any techno you shove at him.

bah!

#20 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,572 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:27 AM

i've never gotten into interpol, think it's because they suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users