Photo

Open Up (That's Enough) and Rough Detective kick ass!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Whazup

Whazup

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

They are pretty rockin' tunes, especially Rough Detective which has a chorus that has been stuck in my head all day ha

I can't wait to get even more tunes from them, it feels like it has been forever since Sea of Cowards yet when you listen to the new songs it feels like no time has passed at all

#2 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

They haven't sunk in yet but I do like what I hear. I had to remember the first time I heard Die by the Drop was the same and now it's one of my favs. Glad to have new Jack, in any form.

#3 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

I wonder if these will be the first two tracks on the actual album, or if they are just the first two songs released.  Anybody have any idea if they are releasing tracks in chronological order?

#4 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I don't think it was mentioned in a vault statement, nor I think they figured it out yet by themselves, to be honest ;)

rough detective is cool, but open up sounds just really, really weak for me, it's all just too mannered in many ways for me

#5 Belle_Starr

Belle_Starr

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Has anyone transcribed the lyrics yet? Some parts are very easily understood, but others I cannot make out...

#6 Jettkoral

Jettkoral

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

The lyrics are nonsense. :)

#7 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

my initial reaction is that I like and welcome both tracks. Open Up didn't seem to have that special Dead Weather touch to it. The intro riff sounded like the black belles doing a twist on Sixteen Saltines. Rough Detective had more TDW quirk. again, just an immediate reaction from one spin.

good to hear them again!

#8 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

. The intro riff sounded like the black belles doing a twist on Sixteen Saltines

I though this is just me :o

#9 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Not bad.  Not great.

#10 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

I listened closely most of the tracks that Alison recorded recently, like the song from cage the elephant, these tdw singles, and some of the kills performances (their last tour), and damn, she's yelling way too much, like she would try too hard to channel Patti Smith, but it sounds rather abnoxious than cool, sad panda.

Edited by kluczmen, 14 December 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

^^ At the risk of having the DW fans here throw rotten tomatoes or something at me, I have to say that's why I can't bring myself to play this 7". I'm very curious about the music, but when I listened to the clip at tmr.com her voice just turned me off so much.

#12 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Allison Mosshart being a try hard has been a problem for ages, I really think she is one of the most utterly unconvincing front(wo)men in rock n roll. I quite like the early Kills records, but I just can't buy into the whole persona any more. That problem is the Dead Weather all over, though. They present themselves as a dark, brooding and menacing band... and then play pretty straight forward, non threatening radio rock.

I really dig their covers of Forever My Queen and, especially, Outside, and the albums have a couple of songs that I like a lot. Buffalo is one of Jack's best ever songs. But so much of it sounds really pedestrian and middle of the road. If you just looked at the image they try and project, you'd expect them to be heavy and interesting sounding, but I just find them boring. I'd love for Jack to do a Sleep like project in the future. Maybe he'd try something new and be the bass player.

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

That's similar to the point I've gotten to with them.  I was very excited about the band for about the first year that I was into Jack's music because they were my first experience of him live and I love watching and hearing him play drums.  But the deeper I dug into the rest of his music and watched this band in comparison, the more false their persona rang with me.  They just don't seem to be dark, brooding, or menacing people, so the act becomes just that- an act.  After a while, that act lost its freshness, at least for me.  Jack can put on a persona like that effectively because it's what we're used to from him-- Multiple personas that he puts on and takes off as casually as he changes clothes. None of them need to be natural to him because he's an actor by nature.  But Alison's persona seems to be the only one in her bag.  I know a lot of people love the image she projects, but I find it not only unconvincing but a bit contrived as well. 

And before anyone gets all offended (as has happened before), let me qualify this by saying that I don't intend to demean anyone else's feelings about this band. All of our opinions are entirely subjective and based on our own set of likes and dislikes. But those of us who don't particularly like this band should be able to express our views just as freely as those of y'all who love them because we all care about and have an interest in what Jack's involved with.  That's what conversation is all about. 

I'm gonna have to bite the bullet this weekend and play this 7".

Edited by Kali Durga, 14 December 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#14 ishmael

ishmael

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'd love to buy this single from anyone who doesn't like it.

Didn't have enough money to buy this package (and i wasn't really hyped for the live raconteurs), so if you dont like your 7" please pm me ;)

I got the mp3's from someone, and i loooooooove both songs!!

They better go on a before they release the new album

#15 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Eh to each their own, I love TDW & having seen them live 3 times never got the sense that anything that was happening between the 4 of them was forced or insincere. The dark spooky stuff is an act of course, but they came by it honestly as it suits the music (and the music is fucking fantastic) so I can't be fussed to think about it any more than that. But that's just my opinion, it's really not a big deal. 

And yeah Alison's voice is starting to sound rough lately but I think that has to do more with too many menthols than her trying too hard. Girl smokes A LOT & after a while it's bound to take a toll.

#16 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

@kali, dilinger

That's my point, but I seemed to find out about it until recently, I just realised that the main thing that I like about last Kills record is Jamie's musicianship, I think he is really understated as a guitarist, really, I find his performance beeing really impressive, and after a while I think this is a main thing that gives Blood Pressures a living breath, vocals just seem to go along with that, so overall I didnt noticed them beeing flawed for quite a time ;)

about TDW - I think I still quite like those records - on first one Alison's singing is pretty much cool, much like on Kills records till Midnight Boom, and I really dig those so there (not gonna bring my close up point on horehound as a whole because it would be quite long paragraph, also I think if I'd write it I should add something about the discussion about views on TDW's imagery that you mentioned, but honestly, Im drunk right now ;) )

on SoC case is pretty much like with Blood Pressures, but actually the only tune that Im going back to is Blue blood blues (and it reverts back to what I said in parenthesis for horehound, and this is quite complicated for me right now),

but still I think for Alison things have gotten worse recently when you compare to what she's been doing on SoC, or blood pressures even

(I don't know, but there's something about her perfoming style along those lines aswell)

another thought that I get is, that Jack really helped on the b-side tune, don't you think ? ;) (and Im not sure I mean just vocal work)

Edited by kluczmen, 14 December 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#17 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Eh to each their own, I love TDW & having seen them live 3 times never got the sense that anything that was happening between the 4 of them was forced or insincere. The dark spooky stuff is an act of course, but they came by it honestly as it suits the music (and the music is fucking fantastic) so I can't be fussed to think about it any more than that. But that's just my opinion, it's really not a big deal. 

And yeah Alison's voice is starting to sound rough lately but I think that has to do more with too many menthols than her trying too hard. Girl smokes A LOT & after a while it's bound to take a toll.

uhm, for me it's more about her attidute, actually, she seemed to be more softened didnt tried to yell at those lenghts as he does right now, but yeah, maybe to each their own ;)

#18 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

another thought that I get is, that Jack really helped on the b-side tune, don't you think ? ;) (and Im not sure I mean just vocal work)

Writing credits for both tunes are White/Mosshart, with one of the other guys involved in one of the two tracks (Dean, I think? Can't remember since I'm at work) so, yeah, Jack definitely had a hand in them. Which is why I'm curious about the music.

#19 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Allison Mosshart being a try hard has been a problem for ages, I really think she is one of the most utterly unconvincing front(wo)men in rock n roll. I quite like the early Kills records, but I just can't buy into the whole persona any more. That problem is the Dead Weather all over, though. They present themselves as a dark, brooding and menacing band... and then play pretty straight forward, non threatening radio rock.

I really dig their covers of Forever My Queen and, especially, Outside, and the albums have a couple of songs that I like a lot. Buffalo is one of Jack's best ever songs. But so much of it sounds really pedestrian and middle of the road. If you just looked at the image they try and project, you'd expect them to be heavy and interesting sounding, but I just find them boring. I'd love for Jack to do a Sleep like project in the future. Maybe he'd try something new and be the bass player.

Nail on head. Nail on head. 

Dead Weather: Style over substance

The White Stripes: Style gives substance 

#20 Whazup

Whazup

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I dunno, I have seen TDW twice and I feel that Alison is the perfect fit for the band.  Even in the studio - songs like these two and I Can't Hear You, 60 Feet Tall, etc. are all examples of why I think Alison is great

I can see why some people think it is forced, but I don't feel that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users