#61 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,438 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

^ drat--just saw this half a day too late

Damn!  Missed it myself.  I love that Palladia actually plays MUSIC.  Although, it scares me that it's owned by MTV.. or is it owned by Viacom, who owns MTV.  In any case, it scares me.

#62 300 icky piranhas blues

300 icky piranhas blues

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Damn!  Missed it myself.  I love that Palladia actually plays MUSIC.  Although, it scares me that it's owned by MTV.. or is it owned by Viacom, who owns MTV.  In any case, it scares me.

Palladia is a great channel. I catch Jools Holland all the time.  I also hope it gets away from the purity of the music.

#63 Lee

Lee

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I didn't care too much for Horehound... but I love Sea of Cowards. I listen to the first 4 tracks all the time.

#64 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I did not and never really cared for TDW.  I liked a few of their songs, and I liked the heaviness, but they just did not jive with me.  I like each individual member in his/her own band much better.  I saw their second show (it was the first of touring, the one after their inagural? show at TMR) in Louisville and honestly, I went because I was interested in seeing the opening band.  It was alright, but I liked their covers much more than their original songs.  Treat Me Like Your Mother remains my favorite, though.

#65 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

^^ I have somewhat similar sentiments.  The DW were my introduction to Jack live, so they mean something to me in that regard. But there will always be that one element of the band that I can't get into and that makes them my least favorite of Jack's bands.  That element is an integral part of the band but at the same time, in my opinion, their weakest link, as well.  That aside, I can't deny that Horehound is a fantastic record. When I listen to it (or at least the songs that I pulled off of it for a DW "favorites" mix, and TMLYM is definitely in that mix), I still cannot think of anything else I know of that it sounds like. Rough Detective and its b-side, though, reminded me of every hard rock band I've ever heard, and not in a good way.

Anyway, this morning I found this old XFM track-by-track interview with Jack and Alison about Horehound and it made me realize that even though I'm not in love with this band, I do love the fact that Jack gives me things to feel conflicted about. I enjoy not obsessively loving every single thing that he does, it makes being a fan so much more interesting.  So, good interview--  https://mega.nz/#!Ip...Qm10xBudvktks9c

#66 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:42 AM

thanks for that!

I'm curious where this 3rd record is going to fall with Dead Weather fans. We seem to be very divided over the first two albums. I don't hear anyone saying they love both of them. I'm sure those fans exist in great numbers, given the Jack White Gush Factor® alone, I just don't hear them. See, I love both Raconteurs albums, they're each different to me, but there isn't a clearly superior one to me, and I don't feel the need to prefer one over the other. For me, though, Horehound slays Sea of Cowards.

#67 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

For me, Horehound was pretty damn good. I felt like it was a good mix of different artists bringing their strengths into one record. Not so much a pure collaboration, but just mixing together enough to do something really cool. With Sea of Cowards, it's pure Dead Weather writing together and recording, which I thought didn't measure up quite as well. I don't know. I enjoy both records, and they are obviously fun to watch live. It's easy to say any band with Jack not on guitar upfront singing most of the songs won't compare to him being a leading man.

#68 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

.... I love both Raconteurs albums, they're each different to me, but there isn't a clearly superior one to me, and I don't feel the need to prefer one over the other. For me, though, Horehound slays Sea of Cowards.

For me, Horehound was pretty damn good. I felt like it was a good mix of different artists bringing their strengths into one record. Not so much a pure collaboration, but just mixing together enough to do something really cool. With Sea of Cowards, it's pure Dead Weather writing together and recording, which I thought didn't measure up quite as well.

Agreed with both of those stentiments ^^

Though I don't necessarily need Jack up front, I definitely get a huge kick out of watching him play drums. But I would definitely enjoy this band more if he sang on the majority of their songs. Which, unfortunately, I guess he can't really do what with being on the drums and all.

#69 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Agreed with both of those stentiments ^^

Though I don't necessarily need Jack up front, I definitely get a huge kick out of watching him play drums. But I would definitely enjoy this band more if he sang on the majority of their songs. Which, unfortunately, I guess he can't really do what with being on the drums and all.

We're all 3 on the same page, but when aren't we?

#70 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

I generally like, and own, the first TDW album, but don't listen to it much.  I like a few tracks off the second one, but most of the others were too underdeveloped to hold my interest.

And I greatly prefer the second Racs album to the first one, having listened to them again in the past few months.  To me, they're miles apart.

The few tracks I heard off the third TDW album didn't stick much with me, but I might give them another listen in due time.

I openly admit that I don't listen to nearly as much music as many of you folks, because there are only a small number of vocalists who really capture my imagination, and make me want to listen to more.  And it doesn't really come down to perfect technique or anything, just the vibe they give off.  I guess I'm more of a movie guy, in general.

I'll see myself to the door. ;)

#71 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

This new video unveiled today gives me renewed hope they'll return with as much force as they left us with. 9/25 can't come fast enough!

#72 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

For me The Dead Weather have aged way better than The Raconteurs. I rarely listen to the Raconteurs these days and when I do I find it... kind of bland. By contrast the Dead Weather albums are inventive as hell, especially Sea of Cowards. To my ears, I think Sea of Cowards is the Jack White album with the most interesting production, tied with Get Behind Me Satan.

There's so much weird shit on Sea of Cowards, and I love weird shit, but not just that, the songs KILL. The first half — Blue Blood Blues, Hustle and Cuss, The Difference Between Us, I'm Mad, and Die by the Drop is relentless and how they flow together just makes it even better.

At first I thought Looking at the Invisible Man was too weird and it didn't gel for me, but at some point it did and now it's one of my favourites. That song is bananas, especially Jack's disintegrating vocal. Plus the whole album is drenched in that wonderful dirty Moog Little Phatty synth. Dean's secret weapon.

I found the Vault Dead Weather tracks released recently to be underwhelming. They did sound like a generic hard rock band a bit to me. I Feel Love sounds great though!

I hope Dodge and Burn will be great, but it's going to be hard to beat Sea of Cowards for me.

#73 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

Don't start counting chickens just yet tho! I didn't think anything could top Horehound and there came SOC. I got to thinking today, maybe they started off with the 'least strong' tracks for the vault singles... but I can't even say that because the more I listen to them, the more ingrained in my brain they become. rough detective especially. I know if I could see live versions of them it would just blow me out of the water. But yes! Love their weird shit! can't get enough of it. It hits on all levels, no question.

#74 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

Horehound - really good record effectively utilising on the influence they had from playing around with this Pentagram tune (one of my favourite bands since the highschool years, right next to Saint Vitus and Celtic Frost / Bathory) with some hip shake right now and then, first 3 tracks are my favourite things the band ever did

SoC feels way too hippy for me overall, all the weird sounding overdubs, lack of presence of the rhytm section and constant overmodulations are effectively masking the songs themselves, hate to say it that way but it just sounds really gimmicky.

The only track that stayed with me for longer was Blue Blood Blues

#75 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

And I'd say the live version of BBB (either with TDW or Jack solo) is vastly superior to the recorded version, which feels too slow and restrained to me.

#76 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

Horehound - really good record effectively utilising on the influence they had from playing around with this Pentagram tune (one of my favourite bands since the highschool years, right next to Saint Vitus and Celtic Frost / Bathory) with some hip shake right now and then, first 3 tracks are my favourite things the band ever did

SoC feels way too hippy for me overall, all the weird sounding overdubs, lack of presence of the rhytm section and constant overmodulations are effectively masking the songs themselves, hate to say it that way but it just sounds really gimmicky.
The only track that stayed with me for longer was Blue Blood Blues

I have similar feelings about SOC. the new record--from what I can remember--was full of brutal and relentless rhythm and riff age, quasi-Ragelike. not exactly a return to HH's thunder, but a unique aural stamp for this record while retains Dead Weather aura.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users