75 replies to this topic

#21 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I agree almost 100% with the first two paragraphs ^^, but feel the opposite about the last statement. I wish I'd been around to have seen them in 2009. Videos from that tour make those performances seem so much more spontaneous than what I experienced in 2010.

i wasn't necessarily saying they were better latterly, but they did morph into some kind of rock behemoth that they weren't to begin with :lol:

you're right about the spontaneity though. it felt like the Jack/Alison show became too theatrical and kind of staid towards the end, but that's maybe our fault for seeing so many shows either in person or online. it felt fresher to begin with. And WTBEW got kinda ruined in 2010 by the rhythm changes, in my opinion.

but that said, I Can't Hear You live in 2010? ye gods.

Edited by goodmorningspider, 30 August 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#22 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

well I gotta agree, starting of playing chord progression with heavy distortion instead of relying on improvising like before, and making this song a bit too loud and bombastic, kinda doesnt really catches with the lyrics in my opinion, felt to much like an opera, feels like that intense jams would do better in I can't hear you, which could be played a bit more upbeat and also with LJ on drums instead of that cheesy drumbeat :P

but they were great anyway :P

#23 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

Yes they were. :) I still love them and play their albums frequently--when I first saw them in Nashville in 2009, I didn't really know what to expect and was blown away, and the same the other two times I saw them, though I'll admit that like most other people, I thought Jack was great on drums but was counting the minutes till he'd pick up a guitar. Or, as at Jazz Fest, come out front and just sing.

#24 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think I kinda overplayed their stuff and now Im rather holding myself from putting their albums, but what the hell, these were one of most played albums I had since they released SoC :X
as with Jack - lets face it he's a bit of double edged sword in his bands just because of the reason you mentioned, you try to enjoy music and meanwhile you look at the watch (at least some of the people... sometimes) ;) well Im kinda kidding but just partially ;)

Edited by kluczmen, 02 September 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#25 300 icky piranhas blues

300 icky piranhas blues

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I still love them, and unless I am leaning on the stage for a Jack White show of any sort, they provided me with a concert experience that still resonates with me.

I see the DW as Jack dangerous band, they're aggresive and in your face. And seeing Allison's live performance working the audience like a hypnotist, just adds to the attraction.

When I first listened to Sea of Cowards, I was surprised by the arrangements. I love I'm Mad for that reason. It was unlike anything I had heard before, but it was catchy and stuck with me.

I hope the DW produces more music and tours. I can't wait to see where their music would be going.

#26 godless_brother

godless_brother

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I never understand how people can think the Raconteurs are better than the Dead Weather.

Dead Weather are so heavy, dark, and unique in comparison with the Racs. When I listen to the Racs, they're good and all, but not that distinguishable from a ton of rock bands out there.

DW on the other hand, when you hear a DW song, you know its a DW song. I for one, hope to hear from them soon!

edit: and for the record, would be fine with hearing no more from the Raconteurs

Edited by godless_brother, 02 November 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#27 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Glad to see this thread is still alive and well after 5 months! Just been re-reading all the responses.

Someone mentioned you can find live covers and unreleased stuff on YouTube. Could anyone point me to some of those?

#28 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I was never much of a fan of Sea of Cowards. I gave it a proper listen in the car loudly last week. I enjoyed it more than i expected. the roar and thunder were there, but still an overdose of synth and an overuse of that bad-radio-effect on the vocals. i bump it up a star.

#29 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Listening right now to the VAULT vinyl release of the live SEA OF COWARDS.

I TAKE BACK ALL MY PAST NEGATIVITY.

WOW.

The difference between us .

Edited by avard, 05 February 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#30 Whazup

Whazup

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

The Dead Weather is my favorite Jack White project!  I love Alison's vocals, the dark vibe the band has, and just the overall quality of music

The ONLY thing I am not happy about is the mastering of Sea of Cowards - it is listenable but the constant clipping can be a bit fatiquing

Edited by Whazup, 05 February 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Listening right now to the VAULT vinyl release of the live SEA OF COWARDS.

I TAKE BACK ALL MY PAST NEGATIVITY.

WOW.

The difference between us .

That's the snakes talking, right?

#32 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Good idea, Avard! I'm going to listen to it tonight as well. It's been a couple of months. 

I love the Dead Weather. 

#33 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Me. Too.  Whatta show that was.   :wub:

#34 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Best parts of that show were the shaving cream rant and Old Mary.  And White Castle afterward, of course.

Edited by Kali Durga, 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#35 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

That's the snakes talking, right?

Nope. Snake free decision

#36 Pez

Pez

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I love both albums. Haven't heard the live one mentioned, will have to check it out. Prefer the guitars on DW to Blunderbuss although the tones on that are insanely good too. Have to say I haven't heard aJack White project yet that hasn't become a permanent feature in my listening pleasure.

#37 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Nope. Snake free decision

I feel so alone.

#38 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

come to the dark side, you know you want to

#39 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

I started out on the "dark" side, actually.  The DW was my first experience of Jack live and, yes, those shows were tremendously exciting.  I was pretty crazy for them over the course of that first year.  But the more I explored Jack's music, the less this band appealed to me.  My issue is Alison.  She's obviously integral to the band, it's "muse", so to speak.  It wouldn't have the flavor that it does without her.  And she's obviously very good at what she does.  But what she does just doesn't appeal to me, and I think that, while she's an ok lyricist, her limited musicianship holds Jack, Dean, and LJ back.  Those three boys have shown on a few occasions that they can groove like there's no tomorrow and I love the hell out of those moments (Three Birds and the version of HYFTH/Feel Like Making Love on the Blue Blood Blues 12" b-side being prime examples).  But that leaves Alison with little to do but pace the stage and strike poses on the monitors.  So this band will likely never be capable of much of what I love about Jack's live shows. 

Unless, of course, he were to have more of those itchy moments when he just can't hold back and hops up from behind the drums to inject some spontaneity into this band.  If we got more of this, then I'd reappraise this band again and begin to consider them dark enough to be worth coming back to--

Edited by Kali Durga, 08 February 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#40 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

wow, I can't relate at all. I love her, think she's great. but it's the band as a whole that is so appealing to me.  if I had to pick my favorite member, I couldn't even do it because they all hold their weight equally, in my opinion. oh well, to each his own.  what are you gonna do if the DW reunites & tours before any more solo Jack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users