21 replies to this topic

#1 ToyMachine228

ToyMachine228

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone happen to know what drum machine The Dead Weather use during live performances of songs like "I Can't Hear You" and "I Just Want to Make Love to You". I could be the same thing used to make the drum effects in "The Difference Between Us" on Sea of Cowards. If anyone knows, that'd be great. Thank you!

#2 Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

I think its a Maestro Rhythm King
Posted Image

#3 ToyMachine228

ToyMachine228

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thank you! I doubt I can find a picture of it at TDW show to "prove" it or something but I appreciate your knowledge and I'll look into it. Thanks again!

#4 Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

my bad.... I was really sure I saw Jack programming a Maestro RK somewhere but I checked some videos I have and in Glastonbury he uses other one its a Bentley Rhythm Ace:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Man.. that Glastonbury photo is pure magic... thanks for posting it

#6 Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:27 AM

Man.. that Glastonbury photo is pure magic... thanks for posting it

no prob dude!

#7 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Are those expensive? They look like fun toys.

#8 ToyMachine228

ToyMachine228

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

Yeah I guess that's my next question. Anyone know where I can get one?

#9 Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

I think it will be hard to track down one of those the brand its not even famous (that I know of) if you want to make those drum machine sounds you've got a few cheaper alternatives like getting a new drum machine (Akai are pretty good), a pad controller (also Akai makes good ones) or you can program them with software with this option you can find samples that sound very similar to that drum machine, if you have an iphone or ipod touch theres an app called funk box (i dont know if its available for the ipad) that is based on vintage drum machines I'm sure that can make the trick aswell... I guess I should have made this question first but why do you want a drum machine?

#10 ToyMachine228

ToyMachine228

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

A friend and I are working on a side project. We are in one band, but we're considering starting another, possibly using a drum machine. Just in the early phases. We have a drum program for PC, but we're looking into multiple options. We're just trying a bunch of different stuff. Thanks for all the information, you're knowledge of drum machines is amazing.

Edited by ToyMachine228, 01 May 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#11 Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

no prob mate, well if that's what you are gonna do with the DM I suggest you buy an MPC from Akai there a lot of models and you can even find a used one for good price if you go for something old like Jack's you are gonna be very limited, have you heard The Kills? they used an Akai MPC60 and recently and MPC4000 those are expensive but you can try a cheaper model MPC500 or MPC1000 also de XR20 looks like a good option

#12 ToyMachine228

ToyMachine228

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Yeah I've listened to The Kills quite a bit. Love Midnight Boom. Great album. Like I said, we're just seeing what's out there, messing around, trying to find a sound we like before we dig in too deep. Thanks for all the advice!

#13 JohnC

JohnC

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

I've been wondering what make/model it was for ages !

#14 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

i couldnt help but thinking about this drum machine and wondering if the influence of the Kills didnt inspire their use of it

http://youtu.be/bxkAcX7VQ7k

no wow on the drum machine for me really

#15 Ghost Of Bury

Ghost Of Bury

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Definitely Kills inspired, cant recall JW reaching for a drum machine before or since...

#16 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

thats what i was thinking but i really wasnt confident enough about that idea to make a full fledged statement to that effect

as it is i am getting a little more confident about my opinions when it comes to 'electronics oriented music' but thats slow goin

the 'friends electric' piece blew up my brain when i heard it live given what a huge Numan fan i have been and i knew that keys have always been one of Jacks things but the art of the drum machine as art as opposed to craft has always been Eno for me

right now should be an interesting time for Jack when making decisions on these components as he plans his tour and its scope

#17 Ghost Of Bury

Ghost Of Bury

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

but the bentley rythm ace he has chosen does seem slightly limited in my opinion, might sound a bit samey after a while... just an opinion, of course.

it would definitely be interesting if JW decided to tour this album one-man band style^^ but thats another story altogether...

#18 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

ive seen hasil adkins one time too many in my life and i have to say that i would appreciate Jack getting a line of of interesting sorts

#19 Ghost Of Bury

Ghost Of Bury

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

definately, i actually enjoyed watching the exact opposite - Jack doing "you just cant win" without being behind a guitar.

#20 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

defiantly speaking (inside joke about how your computer and mine like to force us to write definitely differently)

i have always been a huge fan of jacks drum attack even though i think he can easily go overboard if he doesnt play a little daily to expend all that force evenly

its like my pool shark days when i would work a mural all day and then blow the balls off the table because my english was off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users