54 replies to this topic

#21 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

its cool to see silent giants designed these cards. they're local artists here who do their printing out of my friends screenprint shop.

Not necessarily just the White Stripes. The Raconteurs album would be awesome (same level quality as Consolers of the Lonely), The Dead Weather album would be cool too (Horehound level though, not Sea of Cowards).
Some touring without a release would be great as well. Just a little less of obvious money-grabbing, I guess...

2010- sea of cowards
2009- horehound
2008- consolors of the lonely
2007- icky thump
2006- broken boy soldiers
2005- get behind me satan
2004-
2003- elephant
2002-
2001-white blood cells
2000- de stijl
1999- white stripes

yeah, jack's 3 bands have really been slacking on their output.

if you dont want jack to grab your money, dont give it to him. fact of the matter is, fans eat this shit up and throw their money at jack for it. why not supply the demand in order to fund future musical endeavors from third man? it is a business after all, business requires profit.

Edited by Action Boy!, 14 December 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#22 rob_toronto

rob_toronto

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Jack should come out with some "TMR Identity Discs" - they play music when you fling them and can cut someone's head off.
Great fun for the kids!!!

Posted Image

#23 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

:offtopic:
maybe this isn't the right thread to voice this thought, but I know people were talking about it in other posts, and I'm doing a little thinking out loud here...pressing so many things because you think that's how many you will sell, and if they become collector's items, thats one thing. But creating all these limited runs of pretty low numbers is another...I mean like the triple decker record, only 500 or whatever people get to hear the song? It's a cool idea, and I'm sure they are costly to produce, but I'm sure if they were widely available, they still would be selling out of them...like I said, off topic I know...

#24 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

I think I'm saying thanks, but no thanks to these cards. Sheesh.

#25 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

T-shirts and posters are one thing. And if a band lasts long enough and is still relevant after 10 years to start repressing vinyl in better quality, then that works too. Several bands put out LP collections that sell well and help to renew public interest. Great idea/marketing.

But come on....kilts, Russian nesting dolls, USB drives, cameras? ... and that's just for the better band (my opinion)

To his credit, he's made some cool moves in the past (triple inchophone, Raconteurs stylophone, tri-color vinyl ... others, I'm sure). But it seems like he gets in the rhythm of "Hey, is that a [jar of peanuts?]!?! .. let's put some peppermint stripes on it and sell it for $20 bucks." every once in a while and it gets really tired, really quickly.

Speaking only of the White Stripes...minimalism comes to mind, and it doesn't seem to extend to the merch stand.

The nesting dolls were made by fans and given to the band as a gift. The band liked them so much they asked them to make more. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's cute and sweet.

#26 Adam Astro

Adam Astro

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

They look awesome and I totally want them,but... I think I'll save the money for some TMR vinyl.

#27 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

T-shirts and posters are one thing. And if a band lasts long enough and is still relevant after 10 years to start repressing vinyl in better quality, then that works too. Several bands put out LP collections that sell well and help to renew public interest. Great idea/marketing.

But come on....kilts, Russian nesting dolls, USB drives, cameras? ... and that's just for the better band (my opinion)

To his credit, he's made some cool moves in the past (triple inchophone, Raconteurs stylophone, tri-color vinyl ... others, I'm sure). But it seems like he gets in the rhythm of "Hey, is that a [jar of peanuts?]!?! .. let's put some peppermint stripes on it and sell it for $20 bucks." every once in a while and it gets really tired, really quickly.

Speaking only of the White Stripes...minimalism comes to mind, and it doesn't seem to extend to the merch stand.

How boring and bland merch would get if everyone had to stick to t-shirts. Jack has the means and imagination to get creative with merch. And when he does, it sells. Why condemn that?

#28 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

But none of this ate into the musical output. In fact it's just absurd to say that Jack's output is anything less than unusually prolific. You don't have to buy it so what's the problem.

#29 Little Cream Soda

Little Cream Soda

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Are you outside of the US? There was a shipping option of $3

Not for me unfortunately, it was between $8.50 and $12.50 so i thought i'd just pay the extra $4 so the damn thing didnt get lost, i don't trust it, being so small.

#30 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

I can take or leave the "too much" merch argument. What I can't stomach is the price attached to it all. $25 for a deck of cards? I'm not offended they were made, but I'm a bit offended at the price.

#31 jokrogel

jokrogel

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

I bought the pack of cards together with a leopard t-shirt. (Shipping was $12.76, (USPS First Class Mail International Package) so $57.76 total. Quite expensive cards but, hey, they are limited to 500 packs <_<

#32 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Got a pack of these today as an early Christmas present, they don't feel very durable but the printing quality is good & the design work is beautiful. These cards are better suited for framing than playing poker with your buddies, but considering their price & limited availability that's hardly a surprise. Overall I'm pretty pleased with them, they look cool as hell. I'd much rather have band merch like this that is well-designed & unique then spend the same amount of money on another t-shirt that'll just get tossed in the closet with so many others.

#33 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

I remember when i used to think that JW related bands had the coolest merchandise. Now theres nothing more id want than to see him stop putting stuff like that out and just focus on making a GREAT album. I don't think he's made a GREAT album in a while. COTL was, but Brendan Benson contributed a LOT to it. I haven't loved anything he's put out since. My love for Jack White is not how it used to be. I saw him as a guy who hadn't made any bad moves yet. I hate saying this, i really, really do, but I feel like ever since he's been really involved with TMR, his music quality has slipped. I used to feel this man's music run through my blood. I haven't felt that in too long.

#34 kurttakkun

kurttakkun

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

As long as Third Man is still in business I wont be complaining.

#35 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

I asked for, and received, these cards as a Christmas present- they are the only thing I got that I actually love and will use/enjoy. I love that Silent Giants designed them and that they are collectible Dead Weather merch. I can understand why people are getting upset about the abundance of "stuff" entering the market place and the lack of "music" coming forth, but I think people need to bear in mind that he's been busy making music for the last decade and he might like a bit of time off to actually see his children growing up. Sometimes a little R&R rejuvenates the soul and makes creation possible.

#36 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

I'm glad he's at home. Children's grow up way too fast and you never ever get those years back.

#37 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

Nothing wrong with this at all, who doesn't want to be in Kiss? Seriously.

#38 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Nothing wrong with this at all, who doesn't want to be in Kiss? Seriously.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_5300wt_1141

Next up...Dead Weather Action Figures!!!

#39 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

I would totally buy a Meg action figure.

Imagine if they had little pull strings and they said lines from songs?

#40 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

i remember being tempted by these because it would be cute to see little pics of tdw as card characters... buuuut
too much money (imo) for a deck of cards, i think i spent the money on pre ordering the wanda jackson record instead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users