12 replies to this topic

#1 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

To celebrate the release of his album Boarding House Reach in March 2018, Jack White embarked on a mini-tour of intimate venues. Starting at his hometown go-to stage in the Blue Room at Third Man Records in Nashville, filtering through dreams and dives in NYC and Los Angeles and London and eventually hitting Whites home away from home at Third Man Records Cass Corridor in Detroit, the performances were explosive and commanding.

In the spirit of the classic baseball home-and-away Vault package #37 highlights the momentous, tour-de-force set White unfurled in Nashville on March 16th and augments it with the unhinged Detroit performance a month later. Highlights include the raucous live debut of stadium anthem Battle Cry, the frenetic, stinging guitar fight of Over and Over and Over and masterful crowd singalongs for White Stripes classics like Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground. As is par for the Vault, both of these shows are exemplary entries into the twenty-plus years of epic, life-affirming Jack White live performances.

Packaged in a die-cut sleeve with peep-in artwork reminiscent of Zeppelins Physical Graffiti or the Stones Some Girls, the interplay between the sleeve and the jacket will provide fans with hours upon hours of flip-flopping fun. The discs will be pressed on lustrous black, beautiful blue and wonderful white vinyl.

Accompanying these three LPs are a selection of three glossy, 8x10, professionally-shot photos from both performances. From the expert eye of Whites personal photograph David Swanson the attention to detail here is second-to-none. They capture lighting-fast moments from the performances, showcasing the impressive work and presence from band members Dominic Davis, Quincy McCrary, Carla Azar and Neal Evans.

And to top it all off, a magnificent Jack White logo flag. We want to see these things flying at Jack White concerts the world over. Hell, we want to see these EVERYWHERE. Hoist em up high!

Simply beautiful!!!

#2 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:01 PM

That's me back on board :)

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

Pics - 

Vault37-Webmockup-Retina-LP-Static.jpg

Vault37-Webmockup-Retina-Flag.jpg

Vault37-Webmockup-Retina-Photos.jpg

Greedy me would rather have a dvd than a flag and photos, but those albums are gonna be terrific!

Edited by Kali Durga, 02 July 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

I've put a lot of thought into this so here goes:

I need to sleep on it as to whether or not I need it....

As much as I'd loooooove to have some new exclusive live Jack White on vinyl, it basically feels like I'd be overpaying for one live show plus a few more songs with the addition of things I don't need.

I could care less for the photos or the flag. 

I don't like Dave Matthews Band, but this package feels like something they would release exclusively through Barnes and Noble, flag and photos and all, for $29.99.

My TMR flag is already folded up and tucked away in my closet somewhere, and I liked that one way more than the one included in this package.  From the writeup it basically sounds like they want us to do free promoting for them.  "Hell, we want to see these EVERYWHERE"

I guarantee you that they do a vault only photo contest where you take pictures with the flag in unique places to win a unique prize in attempts of shaming non-subscribers for canceling their accounts.  They've done that before, right?  To make you want to sign up for the next package that involves a flag....

And where do I put the photos from this package?  Inside my previous high school locker from years ago?  On the wall of my apartment and explain to guests how "this is a closeup of Jack White's hand touching a guitar" and assume they'll be impressed?  I mean I personally don't get the same thrills by looking at that as I do when I listen to his actual music.  Like my TMR flag, so many vault photos and pamphlets are already tucked away.

As for the music, it wouldn't surprise me if the "two" shows here are shorter than several of the past one-show releases, which still came with better secondaries.

It seems curious this is one of the few times they haven't talked up the setlist in the vault announcement.  They didn't even drop the actual date of the 9-song Detroit show.  That makes me very skeptical.

As much as I want the new exclusive live music on vinyl, the rest of the package just kinda feels like "what's the point?" and I'd rather not overpay for the music alone.  I know I have before and I question how often I'd even listen to it...  Yet I wonder if years from now I'd regret not having it.  

I used to feel like I needed just about everything TMR released, vault or no vault.  I hardly feel that way these days :( and it seems like publicly representing exclusive vault materials such as flags or pins or shirts is a thing of the past, yet TMR fails to realize that. 

They can't just bank on riding the "this is exclusive so you need it" train straight through the soul of the consumer anymore.  A partially good package can only be as good as the half-assed part of it is.

I'm not trying to sound overly negative, it's just my two cents. 

I love the idea of the featured music from this package.  Just please give us more bang for our buck.  Throw in a dvd or a 7" or something useful and I'll eat up this package right away.  But little photos? Really?  A flag?  I'm good on that..  Show the fans more respect.  Those who have been on board since the earlier vault packages deserve more than just another flag and photos to compliment this "oh, so exclusive" release. 

#5 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

My first thought was "This package needs a dvd, not a flag and photos".  My second thought was "Well, they put a lot into the Beefheart package, so this is the to-be-expected good-but-less-than-stellar follow-up package".

#6 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Agreed. I miss the DVD too, more than the photos or the flag.

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,451 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

Tracklist for the albums--

Jack White Live at Third Man Records Nashville
March 16, 2018

Battle Cry
Wasting My Time
Over and Over and Over
Why Walk a Dog?
Corporation
Fell in Love With a Girl
Connected By Love
Catch Hell Blues
Little Bird
Bliunderbuss
Missing Pieces
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Hypermisophoniac
Ice Station Zebra
Hello Operator
Respect Commander
Sixteen Saltines
I’m Slowly Turning Into You
Seven Nation Army

Jack White Live at Third Man Records Cass Corridor
April 18, 2018

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Over and Over and Over
Why Walk a Dog?
Corporation
Love Interruption
Blunderbuss
Lazaretto
Little BIrd
Catch Hell Blues

I will say that Catch Hell Blues into Little Bird that night in Nashville was stupendous. I thought that solo was never going to end. 

#8 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Im super pumped to hear hypermisophoniac live, thats something Im bummed he didnt play that both shows.

#9 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

Sucks on no dvd with this one......still bought it though as this current band cooks real great live.

Have no fear - have to assume there will be a dvd from this tour at some point, prolly of one of the bigger shows with the screens....thats the hope!

#10 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Mine arrived today!

#11 itrainmonkeys

itrainmonkeys

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

Mine arrived today!

Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't fit the sleeves into the picture sleeves that TMR provided. I gave up after bending the stuff enough and I couldn't get all of them in the sleeves that came with them.  Two of them I kind of forced in well enough but the last one I just could not get to work.

I'm sure the songs are amazing but the packaging and inserts/sleeves given with this just wasn't working for me. Unless I am missing something and doing it wrong. They don't fit right for me.

#12 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't fit the sleeves into the picture sleeves that TMR provided. I gave up after bending the stuff enough and I couldn't get all of them in the sleeves that came with them.  Two of them I kind of forced in well enough but the last one I just could not get to work.

I'm sure the songs are amazing but the packaging and inserts/sleeves given with this just wasn't working for me. Unless I am missing something and doing it wrong. They don't fit right for me.

Least you didn't film yourself struggling with it  :lol:

Are we supposed to ditch the black sleeves and put the records in the picture ones?

I actually haven't listened yet, need to sort a sub out in my house and find my adaptor. Plan to do this on the weekend.

Edited by wsjack3, 26 September 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#13 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

I just ignored the insert sleeves and left the records in the main sleeves.....

As for the goods, I listened to the full Cass show last night when I got home, and it is lovely! Band is out swinging and loose and really really loved ending on the one two punch of little bird into catch hell....worked awesomely. Gonna listen to the other show at some point today!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users