140 replies to this topic

#1 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Their album finally saw its North American release today.  I'll be picking up a CD copy after work.  I have a vinyl copy on order.  

chvrches-the-bones-of-what-you-believe.j

Even if you don't like synthesizer music, take a listen/look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHjN44LLKcA

If you enjoy Lauren's voice, but not the synth music....check out her other band, Blue Sky Archives.  She sings lead on Bitches, Cosplay The Hard Way, Back In A Liquid Minute, Crash Your Face and A Mighty Handful.  She also comes in strong at the end of The Highest of Fives.

https://soundcloud.com/blueskyarchives

That is all.

#2 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I saw them live a week or two ago and it was a great show.  Everybody in the audience was way into it.  I might have a small crush on the girl, but hey, who doesn't?  

I'd throw this song into the mix too:

http://youtu.be/JyqemIbjcfg

#3 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Nice!  Where did you see them?

As many here are painfully aware, I saw them in Toronto on the 15th.  And I got to meet them afterward.  They were very friendly.  Lauren's a doll.  Pretty, charming and a lovely voice.

Recover's great.  I have the Japanese Recover EP.

The song that nailed it for me is Gun.  

Their interviews are usually interesting and/or funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydCpgCESb2Q

#4 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

bout facking time you started this thread!

#5 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

It will turn into the Collection of Lauren Mayberry's Funny Sounds thread.

#6 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I saw them in Seattle at the Market Showbox.  I got up nice and close so could really feel the energy.  Which is the song that the guy sings?

#7 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Awesome...their 3rd show on this North American tour.

Martin sings lead on "You Caught The Light" and "Under The Tide".  Sometimes he sings lead on "We Sink" live.  He likely sang UTT at Seattle, as he did in Toronto.  His manic performance is pretty amazing.  It was a highlight of the show.

Edited by mrthompson, 24 September 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#8 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'm enjoying them a lot.

NPR posted this earlier: http://www.npr.org/e...es?sc=fb&cc=fmp

#9 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

^Cool!  

I like the stripped down performances.  Their live performances are often as good, or even better, than the album cuts (IMO).  They are very consistent in their quality and Lauren's voice is almost always perfect.

To muddy the waters......here's the video for BSA's Cosplay The Hard Way.

Edited by mrthompson, 25 September 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#10 stripeydave

stripeydave

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

This popped up and I thought you might like it. I have not listened to it. Caveat emptor...

https://dl.dropboxus...y 2013 FLAC.zip

Artist : CHVRCHES
Venue : The Thekla, Bristol, England
Date : 26th February 2013

Sony Hi-MD MZ-RH1(SP) > Sony ECM-719 Microphone >USB > PC > Goldwave Audio Editor (Volume boost & fade in/out) > Flac

I went to this gig as my mate wanted to see them. I'm so glad I went along, it was an excellent gig and a great band to discover. The recording is very clear, I was about 10 rows back opposite the left hand speaker stack. I had an unobstructed view as most of the audience seemed to be hobbits, I've never been in such a short crowd before. :-) Lies has a crazy mess up, they don't restart and manage to sort it out with ease. Plenty of between song chit chat from Lauren, much of it amusing.

This is the earliest live recording to be shared so far. There's not much about at the moment, so hopefully more will surface as the band become more popular. 

If you search on YouTube you will find a full complement of vids from this show (not mine) the sound is a little distorted. Close ups of Laurens' face feature heavely, which is a shame, as beautiful as it is. :-)

DEBUT ALBUM OUT NOW - The Bones Of What You Believe. It really is very good.

1. Intro/Lies
 2. We Sink
 3. Lungs
 4. Now Is Not The Time
 5. Gun
 6. Science/Visions
 7. Night Sky
 8. Recover
 9. Under The Tide
10. The Mother We Share

Please do not sell or share as mp3

Here's a review I copied for your pleasure.

Chvrches @ Thekla, Bristol
26 February 2013

By Andy Baber | 2 March 2013 
There is always a sense of anticipation before watching any of the acts being hyped for a big year. This was certainly the case before Scottish trio Chvrches took to the stage at Bristolís favourite sea ship venue Thekla. After coming fifth in BBC Sound Of 2013, Chvrches and their addictive synth-pop have been making a lot of headway and their live show does nothing but confirm that big things await Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty.

Coming onstage to a rapturous applause, the Glasgow-based band kicked proceedings off with Lies, one of the songs that first brought them to the attention of the internet and made music critics take notice. The throbbing synths and pulsating beat made it a perfect opening song, although it did take a couple of attempts to get right after Cook was slightly out on his timing. ìI can sell you lies/ you canít get enough/ make a true believer of/ anyone anyone anyone,î Mayberry sang, with a startlingly powerful voice for someone with such a small frame.

In fact, one of the most impressive things about Chvrchesí live performance was just how assured Mayberry was throughout, showing composure after the early hiccup and interacting with the packed audience with ease. She even had the crowd laughing when she pointed to someone at the front who had earlier asked her where a cash point was ñ clearly oblivious to who he was talking to. However, Mayberryís most impressive skill remained her sumptuous vocals, which she managed to deliver effortlessly over the searching synth beats.

The highlight of the gig was undoubtedly Chvrches most recent and well-known single, the beautifully infectious Recover, with its big, enchanting chorus providing the best opportunity for a crowd sing-a-long. ìAnd if I recover, will you be my comfort?/ or it can be over, or we can just leave it here,î belted Mayberry, safe in the knowledge that the song is a sure fire hit. Yet Chvrches are far from a one-hit wonder. We Sink is another of the bandís unreleased songs that has been heard on the internet, but its driving synths and added male vocal backing gave it a new life in the live setting.

Elsewhere, previously unheard Lungs focused more on Mayberryís cute but engaging Scottish vocal, while Gun was an irresistibly catchy í80s pop track, which came into its own during the huge chorus. In fact, the new songs demonstrated exactly why Chvrches have quickly become the big electro-pop hope of 2013, capturing their bounding energy and ability to construct choruses that leave a mark long after the song has finished.

The best example of this, excluding the obvious Recover, is the phenomenal Science And Vision, which will undoubtedly be an album highlight when it does eventually arrive. The song sounded incredible live and worthy of a much larger venue than Thekla, with Cook and Dohertyís chanting and wondering synths providing the basis for Mayberryís soaring vocal. However, just when it looked like it wouldnít be topped, Chvrches closed the set on The Mother We Share ñ a fan favourite among those who have followed the trio closely. The song is probably Chvrches most danceable number, with swarming synths and another colossal chorus.

At just over 40 minutes long, Chvrches first performance in Bristol was rather brisk, but the songs showcased during that time did more than enough to leave an imprint on everyone who packed into the small venue. Itís safe to say that Chvrches look set to have a massive year in 2013 and will surely be playing to much bigger audiences by the end of it. They may not have been completely perfect ñ it was certainly not the smoothest start to the set ñ but Chvrches will only get better.

#11 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

^Thanks!

There are some vids on YouTube from that show.

Edit:  Just wanted to mention that Lungs is fucking amazing live.  The bass pounds hard and Lauren's vocals are so lovely.

Edited by mrthompson, 26 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#12 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

They're on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

#13 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

Chvrches remix (not cover) of Hurricane by Ms Mr.

http://youtu.be/41WtJps5XqQ

#14 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

^I generally don't like remixes but I like that one.  

Most of the remixes of CHVRCHES' songs are horrid.  Don't fuck with Lauren's lovely voice!  The beats were fine as originally recorded!

darthvadernooo.jpg

I couldn't sleep so I got up and watched the last 30 minutes of Kimmel.  Good performance, as usual.  Lauren's voice sounded a bit different.....still fighting a cold?

Edited by mrthompson, 21 November 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#15 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Online bonus 

:wub:

#16 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

They're on Letterman tonight......

#17 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

^ Great! She better not chew gum.

#18 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

New East Coast dates announced for there states this spring.  Should we be expecting them for Sasquatch and/or Coachella?

#19 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Rumoured to be playing Coachella.  

#20 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members