212 replies to this topic

#1 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi all. So the albems out on monday, AT LAST. Ive got mine today as i pr-orderd it so im sure a few more people have. So what do you all think? Was it worth the wait? Can it live up to the hype? Post all reviews, thought etc on the LP here.

My review:

I think that this is an instant classic. I know people will think i have to say that but i honestly enjoyed every monment of it. All the reviews ive read about it are a but misleading as they all suggest its a 'jack white and friends' albem, but this is wrong. Every single band member has brought an equal influence to it making it seem very origonal. Also, dont expect this to be like a white stripes ablem, as its totally different, the guitars, lyrics and atmosphere are totally different, and the production seems a little more polished than every white stripes albem.

The Songs
1 - steady as she goes 10/10: Well we have all heard this. Its the smash hit single that everyone seems to know now, and its the best possible opener to the albem
2 - Hands 10/10: I was very supprised by this as the live version is quite different. The studio version is much better its alot more heavy.
3 - Broken boy solider 10/10 - This again is a little different to the live version. It has really strang vocals like robert plant meets axl rose, but its very very good, its like classic rock with a twist
4 - Intimate Secretary 10/10: This (yet again) is different to what we have heard live. I personally was unsure when i heard the live versions, but i love the studio version, the dumb lyrics work for this song. I have a feeling this will be the next single
5 - together 9/10 - This is the worst song so far, but its not bad infact its really really really good. Its got a more brenden benson influence but its kind of like the ballards that you have on classic rock LPs, that arent really ballards at all, they are just a little quiter than the rest. This is a good place on the LP as it gives your ears a rest from the loud guitars
6 - Level 10/10: This is the first song on side to, and its amazing, it reminds me of a happy version of black sabbaths who are you. Its pretty simliar the the live version, but is still better.
7 - Store Bought Bones 10/10: Everyones heard this from the origonal double A-side 7", its one of my favorite songs, it also goes well with the sound of level as well.
8 - Yellow Sun 10/10: this is a quiter one, but its kinda like an accoustic classic rock song, i really like it the lyrics are pretty good.
9 - Call It A Day 8/10: The worst song on the LP. This is practically the live version, its not awfull, but its quite average compared to the rest of theLP.
10 - Blue Veins 10/10: I love this song. Its the best song on the LP, its such a good song, theres not been a song like this for 30+ years its an amazing end to an amazing ablem.

the art work
Ive got the LP, and the art work is really nice. Firstly the vinyl is a gatefold, with nice art on the side, and the sleeve thing that the record goes in has a cool little raconteurs defintion/story. The front has a 'nice' picture. It sounds strange, but its more shinny than i thought. The back is just black with the songs. The posters also nice its just of the band, but with the scars.

overall
This albem is deep purple meets the stooges with a bit of accoustic thrown in. Its fresh sounding and very raw. There are no real low points but very many highs. The only problem with it is it ends! I cant wait for another LP.

#2 death before disco

death before disco

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

My local record store got some in stock and sold me one today, and overall I'm not too impressed. Danny, you said everyone brought an influence to the band, and I totally agree. Only I'm not fond of Benson's vocal/guitar influence. He takes too much away from Jack and adds too much of a mellow/dull sound. This is what I think personally, but hey, it's something new.

#3 bigbk915

bigbk915

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

Well my take on the album is the same as you said. It is not just Jack White's band, they all are equally as important.

Songs:

Steady As She Goes: 9/10 Great song, one of the better on the album
Hands: 9.5/10 This song was great. This song seems to be the essence of what you get with Jack and Brendan.
Broken Boy Soldier: 10/10 This song is my personal favorite. At first i did not like it too much, however it grew on me.
Intimate Secretary: 9/10 Really cool song with song cool effects...lyrics are kinda out there but thats what i like
Together: 7/10 An ok song but its not my type...too slow, however still ok
Level: 10/10 This song is my second favorite. I love the guitar. The lyrics are also great
Store Bought Bones: 9/10 Another great song that we have all already heard. Just an overall good song
Yellow Sun: 9.6/10 This song is amazing. I love it...enough said
Call It a Day: 5/10 Not a good song by any means. Pretty close to together, but its worse
Blue Veins: 8/10 Everyone review i have heard raves about this song. Its not my type, very blues inspired. Good song though, just not as much my type

overall: 9/10 Great album that lives up to the hype

#4 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

I haven't got my CD and vinyl yet but my brother did get his CD. Here's the back of the CD:

Posted Image

(The hands belong to Patrick Keeler)

Among the many thank yous are Craig Fox, Meg White and Karen White

Edited by barrowc, 12 May 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#5 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

"Call It A Day" is going to get so beaten up in this thread, but I'll be its friend.

#6 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

Actually there's a (presumably deliberate) mastering "error" on the XL CD between "Together" and "Level". "Level" starts for a second as "Together" fades out then there's a two second gap and "Level" continues :huh: It's not particularly off-putting, though.

(I presume that this is probably common to all the releases but I've only heard the XL CD so I can't say for certain)

#7 TeleTom

TeleTom

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

I'm enjoying the live bootlegs a lot more than the studio album, but it's still a great record :D

#8 are_you_hypnotized

are_you_hypnotized

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

I really like the record , more than i expected to do ...
Actually i'm more fond of it than of GBMS (after one listen) . I think nearly all the songs are very catchy and beautiful. I mean, the record IS very retro, but what else have you expected?

At the moment i like "Hands", "Together" , "Level" , "Steady " , "Store bought Bones" the most, but I guess that's because I already know them from bootlegs.
My favourite is "Intimate Secretary" . Very cool song..

After two listens I'd give the record a 8.5/10 ..

#9 Norwegian

Norwegian

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:07 AM

I just got it so I am listening to it right now. Sounds very good :D

Edited by Norwegian, 13 May 2006 - 05:08 AM.

#10 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

the back of the cd is amazing. I need to order this, and the vinyl.

#11 rogger

rogger

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:43 AM

"Call It A Day" is going to get so beaten up in this thread, but I'll be its friend.

Me too, I like it a lot, one of the best songs on the record. I'm gonna put Level as my least favourite at 6/10. But overall it's an outstanding album.

Intimate Secretary 10/10
Blue Veins 10/10
Call it a Day 10/10
Yellow Sun 10/10
Hands 9/10
Together 9/10
Store Bought Bones 8/10
Steady as she goes 8/10
Broken Boy Soldiers 7/10
Level 6/10

I don't think I'm at the stage where I can be completely objective though. :)

#12 Jebus

Jebus

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:58 AM

well us luky folks in oz got the saboteurs album today, and i must say i do like it. i think it sounds more like benson then any of the others but you can hear that there are inputs from all parties. deffinately not a side project for any of them. the free poster i got woth it was a nice sweetner as well, over all 7or 8 out of 10.

#13 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:19 AM

is the Australian stuff exactly the same? I mean the cover and so on.

#14 Jen

Jen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:31 AM

I had a shock when the mail man came this morning, was't expecting anything until Monday or Tuesday.

I have listened to the CD album twice and it rocks! It does have the Brendan Benson style but as Jebus said, you can hear the others in the background too- it adds a nice effect.

I have even bought a copy for my aunts birthday lol.

I am so getting a frame for that swish poster also :D

#15 Little Cream Soda

Little Cream Soda

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

i got mine today and a poster. i love the middle picture mmmmmm annnnnnnd my poster was ripped :( but oh well

Posted Image

woo you might be able to see the rip.. :P and no, i didnt kiss it :)

Edited by blue_orchid_jack, 13 May 2006 - 10:35 AM.

#16 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

Actually there's a (presumably deliberate) mastering "error" on the XL CD between "Together" and "Level". "Level" starts for a second as "Together" fades out then there's a two second gap and "Level" continues It's not particularly off-putting, though.

The vinyls kind of like that, appart from side one ends on togther side 2 stars with level. But level starts then fades out then starts again - i think its meant to be like that as on the vinyl it sounds right.

Blue_orchid_jack is your poster of the LP cover? as mine is different from yours,mine black and white and its a about 10 inches high and 20 width. Has some other people got different posters?

#17 Little Cream Soda

Little Cream Soda

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

hmm mine says...

broken boy soldiers

THE ALBUM

so the album i guess :P lol i wanna see yours it sounds cool!! i just got given it for free at the store :P

this yours??

Posted Image

Edited by blue_orchid_jack, 13 May 2006 - 11:12 AM.

#18 funkycandycaner

funkycandycaner

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

I think I have the same poster as Dannypal, the one that was in the vinly sleeve. It's the same picture that's in Jen's sig (all sat, Patrick and Brendan smoking).

Edited by funkycandycaner, 13 May 2006 - 11:32 AM.

#19 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

I think I have the same poster as Dannypal, the one that was in the vinly sleeve. It's the same picture that's in Jen's sig (all sat, Patrick and Brendan smoking).

yeah thats the one, i jusr been looking all over the internet looking for a pictue of this lol!
Ive seen some of blue_orchid_jacks posters on ebay, i may get one.

#20 funkycandycaner

funkycandycaner

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

^It's also the centrefold of the CD, just remembered that. Already, someones making an easy living then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users