402 replies to this topic

#21 TH_ermo

TH_ermo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

jacks pedals are the same he uses with the WS?? hes using the same settings atleast for the pog
the pedal next to his whammy its not in the ws, not the micro-amp or the tunner

#22 3stringrocker

3stringrocker

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:20 AM

The pedal next to the Whammy is just a cut off switch if I'm not mistaken, he had 3 made for him by someone, analogman or something to that affect and he did use them in the stripes although I have see pictures of that same board with out the cut off on it.

#23 Guest_mrsimonray_*

Guest_mrsimonray_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:18 AM

Patrick is playing ....

Thank you!

Jack's other electric seems to be the Airline version of the pre-Resoglass Supro/National Val Trol.

Thank you!

Just an observation-

Thanks but if they're not using it live it's not really relevant.

jacks pedals are the same he uses with the WS?? hes using the same settings atleast for the pog

I haven't noticed the POG being used at all in the Raconteurs. It's on the pedalboard but so far it appears to have gone unused.

#24 Oli1982

Oli1982

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

the pedal next to his whammy its not in the ws, not the micro-amp or the tunner

The micro amp and the tuner are on the board and the other pedal is just a cut-off/kill switch and he DOES use it (or at least a different colored one) in the White Stripes.

#25 3stringrocker

3stringrocker

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

I'm still leaning towards a PS-5 for Benson's pedal, mainly because it has the white lettering on it.
Posted Image
Doesn't that look closer? The only problem I see is that Benson's pedal looks like the knobs have a gray top to them which not all Boss pedals have, then again that might be a trick of light.

Edit-I'm actually haveing second thoughts on that myself now. A list of all Boss Pedals with pictures might just help us out. Pretty cool site to boot.

Edited by 3stringrocker, 05 May 2006 - 01:58 PM.

#26 whitestripesman

whitestripesman

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

im not sure if patrick us using two floor toms.. most likely yes.. sizes are 16x16 and 16x18

#27 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

The micro amp and the tuner are on the board and the other pedal is just a cut-off/kill switch and he DOES use it (or at least a different colored one) in the White Stripes.

the cut off switch is a custom made one by Analog Man, he's got 3 of them, a red one, white one, and red/white swirl one. they are at 3 different locations on stage. i think its one at his main microphone, the marimba and maybe one at the other microphone by meg, or the organ

#28 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Just an observation-

In the "Steady As She Goes" video, at approximately 3:52 (right when they strike the final chord), there is a National Glenwood (map-shaped resoglass) guitar visible behind Jack, up against a wall, and some sort of resonator or acoustic to the left of Jack Lawrence. I unfortunately don't know how to post screen captures. If someone else can, I would very much appreciate it.

Posted Image

They had a spare guitar at the Glasgow show which looked as though it was white. I presume it was a backup in case one of the other guitars broke. The guitar tech tuned it before the gig and it was sitting offstage just behind Little Jack during the show. The guitar on the left of the screenshot might fit that description.

The acoustic on the right doesn't look familiar though ...

#29 Oli1982

Oli1982

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

I seem to recall that Brendan was using a sans amp DI box when playing the acoustic guitar. I think you can make it out in the corner of this picture (if you crank the brightness a bit!).

Posted Image

Its probably the Para or Acoustic DI:
http://www.tech21nyc...samp_intro.html

Oh, I almost forgot Little Jack, I'm pretty sure he uses a Boss TU-2 and an EHX English Muff'n.

Edited by Oli1982, 07 May 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#30 TeleTom

TeleTom

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

The acoustic on the right doesn't look familiar though ...

I think the acoustic in the video is the Gibson L-1 that Jack has used live on the GBMS tour?

#31 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:16 AM

yep, looks like the L-1

#32 TeleTom

TeleTom

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

A couple more thoughts after watching the Astoria DVD...

Jack plays the 3 pickup airline (as seen in the steady as she goes video) during steady as she goes... the one over by Dean Fertita is still visible so there's more than one of these

Dean Fertita also plays an acoustic guitar during House Is Not A Motel... any ideas what make?

I know Dean isn't *in* the band but it's all part of the overall sound, ie that kickass overdriven organ thing used in store bought bones, who knows what that is? It sounds amazing, i want a sample bank of one!!

#33 monkeysims

monkeysims

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

i think dean plays an electric rhodes piano, and i think he uses brendans hummbingbird on a house is not a motel

#34 WhiteBloodCells35

WhiteBloodCells35

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

what's an Ebow???

#35 3stringrocker

3stringrocker

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

Battery operated magnet that you place over your strings above the pickup, it vibrates the string indefinitely, and then with your fretting hand you can slide around and get violin and synth type sounds. You can only sustain one string at a time though which is a little disappointing. I think Dimarzio came out with a pickup that you put in the neck position that does the same thing. I owned an Ebow a while back, never got much use so I sold it for a pedal hah. Cool thing though to mess around with from time to time.

Edited by 3stringrocker, 15 May 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#36 TeleTom

TeleTom

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:54 AM

i think dean plays an electric rhodes piano, and i think he uses brendans hummbingbird on a house is not a motel

Yeah there's a Fender Rhodes there... but there's also a couple of other keyboards I can't identify, one on top of the rhodes, and the other at 90 to it (which is the store bought bones one)

I'll have to rewatch, you could well be right about the hummingbird (not hummbingbird ;) )

#37 iplaythebluestherightway

iplaythebluestherightway

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:55 PM

Battery operated magnet that you place over your strings above the pickup, it vibrates the string indefinitely, and then with your fretting hand you can slide around and get violin and synth type sounds. You can only sustain one string at a time though which is a little disappointing. I think Dimarzio came out with a pickup that you put in the neck position that does the same thing. I owned an Ebow a while back, never got much use so I sold it for a pedal hah. Cool thing though to mess around with from time to time.

Ah yes!! I've heard some really incredible sounds come from that thing. One of the guitarists from a band I know called Me Without You uses one. Some of you might not like their music because it's too "emo" or whatever. It's labled as post hardcore, but there's nothing hardcore about it other than the fact that the lead singer yells his lyrics more than he sings them. But it's not screaming.

Their Purevolume Page

Very different kind of music if you can keep an open mind.

Sorry :offtopic:

Edited by iplaythebluestherightway, 16 May 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#38 whitestripesman

whitestripesman

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

just to clear up something... patrick uses zildjian cymbals in the steady as she goes video but Paiste Giant Beat cymbals at all the live gigs so far...

#39 electrichaze

electrichaze

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:06 AM

Bensons' guitar looks like a Guild Aristocrat, probably from the mid to late 50's. The black knob on the 'horn' isn't stock. It could be a master volume control, or possibly some type of rotary switch. Here's a picture for comparison... http://www.lucchesiv...roducts/1_0.jpg

I'd like to add that I've seen a couple of pictures of Brendan Benson (Pre Raconteurs) using a red Guild Aristocrat with the same master volume modification, so he may be using more than one with The Raconteurs.

#40 pmskaters

pmskaters

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

brendens guitar is a guild blues bird. they dont make em no more. my girlfriends dad plays that guitar when hes down here, its super nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users