9 replies to this topic

#1 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,560 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:54 PM

The end of June I will be in Detroit attending my daughter's volleyball tournament.  I might get a quick tour of Third Man Pressing!  Pretty pumped.  Hopefully it all comes together.  Time to start saving for some merchandise....

#2 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hope you get to drop in. Sounds like a pretty cool place and a chance to see some interesting stuff. Let us know how you make out Brian.

#3 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

The end of June I will be in Detroit attending my daughter's volleyball tournament.  I might get a quick tour of Third Man Pressing!  Pretty pumped.  Hopefully it all comes together.  Time to start saving for some merchandise....

I wonder if any tmr employee will say something if you say you founded the little room :P

#4 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:50 PM

Well I did speak with Ed Gillis recently... he responded to an email I sent him from 2013.  It was kind of funny.  He responded like I just sent it yesterday.  Looking forward to making it work out, I only have gotten a chance to see TMR once, while I was passing through Nashville for work.

#5 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

You've gotta squeeze it in, Brian!  The place really is a destination, even for people who aren't into Jack's music the way we are.

#6 paul the candy cane child

paul the candy cane child

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

I'm heading to Detroit next week!! Visiting family in Toronto but taking an initial detour to Detroit specifically to go to the store, cannot wait!!

Can I ask, for people who have visited, is there a suitable place to park nearby? We're travelling there for a couple hours, is there anything else good to see nearby in that time? Andy good places to grab some lunch? etc..

Thanks!!

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

I'm heading to Detroit next week!! Visiting family in Toronto but taking an initial detour to Detroit specifically to go to the store, cannot wait!!

Can I ask, for people who have visited, is there a suitable place to park nearby? We're travelling there for a couple hours, is there anything else good to see nearby in that time? Andy good places to grab some lunch? etc..

Thanks!!

I haven't been since last year so I'm not sure about parking these days, but there is a LOT to do within a few blocks of TMR--  MOCAD (Museum of Contemporary Art & Design), the DIA (Detroit Institute of the Arts, a world-class art museum), the Detroit Historical Society museum, the Scarab Club (smaller, very cool art musuem).  Depending on when you're going, you could also see if a tour of the Masonic Temple is available.    

I've had great meals at a few places nearby-- Traffic Jam & Snug is one of my favorites, right on the corner of Canfield & 2nd Ave in the same block as TMR.  There's also Cass Cafe a block or two away up Cass Ave, or Honest John's and Selden Standard a few blocks down on 2nd Ave.  

And now I'm wishing I had an excuse to go back soon, I miss Detroit.

#8 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,560 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I am here until Monday afternoon most likely. Now the fun part comes of me trying to find the time to get over there. I should be able to sneak away from the volleyball parents one afternoon when our kids are done playing. I just need to pawn my poor child off on another parent for a few hours.. I can’t leave here and NOT see the damn place. That would be a travesty! :)

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

Take her with you!

#10 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

Well I would of taken her with me but she wouldn't of had any time. These tournaments are crazy as the players have to do a lot with the team during and in between all the games.  It's a lot of fun for the kids.. and the parents.. but the tournament days are pretty structured.  I did take my youngest (11 yr old) daughter with me to TMR before leaving Detroit and heading back to Cincinnati.  Out of my 3 daughters, she really likes the kind of music I listen to.  She doesn't just say that.. .she really does. So, of course that makes me pretty happy and when it's just me and her in the car, we do not fight over what's played.. like my other kids do!  I can't stand the music they listen to.. but that's another post! :)  I got a few items.. some t shirts and a coffee mug.  Got a TMR shirt for my daughter as well, which she picked it out.  I wish I had more time and money I would of scooped up that awesome TMR baseball jersey.  I love that it's modeled after how jersey's looked very early on.  Overall a very cool experience and looking forward to getting back one day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users