1522 replies to this topic

#1 Photography_Stew

Photography_Stew

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:39 AM

So PS2 is king of this dying generation of video gaming. We start over with a new set of consoles, PS3, Xbox360 and Wii.

The PS3 looks really impressive, but the massive production costs means its going to have a huge price tag (500 dollars). Sony already has a high reputation in gaming as well as good 3rd party support and I still think that the PS3 will sell well even with its hefty price. I still predict that the price will be the difference between the PS3 being a success or a failure, Sony must sort out the production costs of the PS3.

The Xbox 360 is doing really well in America and Australia, but absolutely pish everywhere else. The normal xbox didnt do well in Japan, and the 360 is doing just as bad. There were even talks of discontinuing the Xbox360 in Japan. Why Japanese hate Xbox360 I dont know, maybe due to its size, bugs, or its American?

I personally like the design of the Wii, but I also think the Wii is the beginning of the end for Nintendo, due the lack of 3rd party support and the hardware limitations of the system (its just as powerful as a normal Xbox). The 1st party games such as mario, zelda etc is Nintendo's only hope.

Analysts also believe that the PS3 will just win the war, followed by a close Xbox360, whilst the Wii is lagging behind with only a 16% market share.

Im sad to see SEGA not taking part in this generation console-wars, I loved my Mega Drive and the Dreamcast was the most underrated console of all time. Looking forward to seeing the Sonics in the next generation consoles.

my whole prediction is that the PS3 will win, Xbox 2nd and Wii 3rd (and nintendo doing a SEGA by dropping out).

what do you think?

#2 Guest_whiterthanwhite_*

Guest_whiterthanwhite_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

When people happily get a loan to buy a plasma TV for 2,000+, who's going to balk at a few hundred quid for a games console? Sony have just got that brand loyalty, I can't see people flocking to Microflop even if the PS3 is ludicrously expensive.

As for me, I might finally get around to getting a PS2! Price drop soon I hope, trawl round the pre-owned stuff in Game!

#3 Guest_farquad92_*

Guest_farquad92_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:47 AM

i have a ps2 and no mattetr how impressive microsoft gets il always stay faithful to sony i think, but i dont think il be getting a ps3 or atleast not right away i hardly play anymore apart from the pro evo games

#4 Ahab

Ahab

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

my brother's being cumming over these for months

i just dont' find the point in springing so much money on something like that

#5 Photography_Stew

Photography_Stew

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

getting an xbox is one of my biggest mistakes, and I am not making the same mistakes buying one of these consoles.

I dont regret getting a Dreamcast despite its short life, I had great times with it.

#6 Expecting

Expecting

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

Im going to sit this generation out until i get a good picture of what the consoles can do and what games were likely to get on them. Plus by that time the PS3 will have dropped in price abit.

#7 Nef.

Nef.

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

I dont regret getting a Dreamcast despite its short life, I had great times with it.

Yeah, Dreamcast was the best.

I don't really like the graphics direction these systems are taking. I'm not interested in realistic modeling and that sort of thing. It seems to be the goal of most game designers to eventually have us playing photo-realistic games, but it doesn't appeal to me. PC-style memory and peripherals are cool, though. I don't know, if I bought any of these it would be the PS3. Microsoft and Nintendo are both super lame.

#8 Watash

Watash

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

The Wii rules! It's so cheap, and Nintendo just never lets you down. They stick to their roots and do what they do best. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Starfox, F-Zero how could you go wrong?

#9 human fly

human fly

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

i can't say that i'll be buying any of these, as there are many things i'd rather spend my money on. i'm not big on the x-box franchise at all, and the only reason i would buy a PS3 would be future installments of Metal Gear solid, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil. 500 isn't worth it for three games, in my opinion. and the wii? i love zelda and mario, but the controller is fucking stupid.

#10 crash and burn

crash and burn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'll probably get the Wii. I'm a Nintendo girl through & through. The promo for the new Super Smash Bros. looks AMAZING.

The only thing I have ever liked about Xbox is the fact that it's so similar to a computer. My friend modded his & has tons of movies/tv shows stored on it. And also every single Nintendo/Dreamcast/Sega/whatever game emulated on it.

#11 Guest_antiboy_*

Guest_antiboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Eh I just stick to computer gaming. Covers all the bases... except for the individual controllers, I guess.

Edit: but yeah, I've always been a Nintendo fan. I NEVER got into PS... always disliked it actually. I still like the cartoonish graphics of the Mario and Mario Kart series and Smash Bros too... but I didn't much like Smash Brothers for GameCube.

Edited by antiboy, 21 August 2006 - 01:00 PM.

#12 Nef.

Nef.

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

The Wii rules! It's so cheap, and Nintendo just never lets you down. They stick to their roots and do what they do best. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Starfox, F-Zero how could you go wrong?

Well, if you don't like the sort of games that Nintendo does best, it's not so great.

#13 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

Don't care about Playstation. It doesn't seem to have any character. I don't game much anymore, but there are two things I'm really interested in playing:

Xbox 360- Halo 3
Wii- Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Am I going to buy two brand new consoles just so I can play those two games? No. Will I play them as often as I can? Hellz yeah.

#14 Photography_Stew

Photography_Stew

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

thats what nintendo did with the GameCube

and they went nowhere.

#15 spoonman1100

spoonman1100

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

born and raised on the nintendo brand. from NES and the fat grey Game Boy to now with the Gamecube. yeah their public image and market share has dwindled incredibly since then. but i really dont care. the games have more than made up for the purchase IMO. anyways, im getting a wii for two reasons

- Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Virtual Console

the latter alone is worth the price of this thing. balk at the controller now, but when you get your hands on it... ooh i cant wait.

#16 evie dee

evie dee

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

The PS3 may be ridicuoulsy expensive. But, it may be well worth the price tag. I have owned a lot of Sony products in the past-I still have my old Playstation-and they have never let me down. Expect for my red Sony CD player that I got when I was still working. That thing broke after a year and a half.

#17 Photography_Stew

Photography_Stew

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

- Virtual Console

oh I forgot about that, that would be awesome.

I have a few emulators for my Dreamcast, like NES, 2600 and Master System

#18 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

born and raised on the nintendo brand. from NES and the fat grey Game Boy to now with the Gamecube. yeah their public image and market share has dwindled incredibly since then. but i really dont care. the games have more than made up for the purchase IMO. anyways, im getting a wii for two reasons

- Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Virtual Console

the latter alone is worth the price of this thing. balk at the controller now, but when you get your hands on it... ooh i cant wait.

We have also been a Nintendo family, and will most likely end up with the Wii. We have had lots of fun with Mario and Luigi over the years...

#19 Brock Landers

Brock Landers

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

Nintendo is not going to be dropping out of the market anytime soon. They have a loyal fanbase that sticks with them, myself included.

Besides, hasn't the Nintendo DS been more of a success than the Sony PSP?

#20 Guest_whiterthanwhite_*

Guest_whiterthanwhite_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

Round here, all the kids have got a DS, my eldest is begging for one for her birthday (why couldn't she give me a little more notice, where am I going to find the money for that?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users