192 replies to this topic

#21 Nef.

Nef.

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

I'm more of an Andre fan. He's got a new record out next month backed by his pals the Silver Hearts, called "Dear Stranger". I saw them play in a dive down the street a while ago together and the new record will be more in the style of Andre's last solo record but backed by a ramshackle saloon ensemble. (I sent you a Silver Hearts cd, Nate. I hope you don't have it already.)

I don't have it. The new Andre album sounds pretty exciting. I had read some vague mentions of it, but didn't know it would be out so soon.

Oh, and "Playboys" is probably my favourite song of theirs, so I'm glad Trent added it. Maybe I'm just partial because I live by the park. I'll stop before my hometown pride makes you all want to puke.
I'd be down with that.

I think "Playboys" and "Oh Lord, My Heart" are my favorites from each album. They're so simple and soulful. I bought I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore recently, but haven't been able to get too into it.

#22 Pepermint Jukebox

Pepermint Jukebox

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

make one about casey reid!!!!

#23 pinkangel79

pinkangel79

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:14 AM

They're definitely one of my favourite bands around and I'm quite pleased they changed directions on the new record. Garage rock or whatever, can sound samey after a while and Porcella reminds me of Nick Cave a lot, which is wonderful in my books.

I'm so glad it's not just me that thinks that. It's not on every song, but there are quite a few songs that reminded me of Mr Cave right from day one. And that's a good endorsement in anyone's books.

#24 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

Thank you! What a good idea. And, thank you for putting up the songs so that I can download one at a time. It looks like they'll take about 30 minutes each so I will wait until I have free time to try them on.

I love the idea of people sharing knowledge and interests.

#25 ZORRO!

ZORRO!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

This is a great, great band and this looks like it would make a great introduction to someone who isn't "in the know".

#26 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

I bought I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore recently, but haven't been able to get too into it.

Yeah, I think the first couple albums are kind of spotty. And that podcast is awesome, thanks for linking it! Andre's a kick ass artist to boot. His paintings are super colourful and creepy.

Hey Laura, hopefully they'll be showing when you're here!

#27 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

. His paintings are super colourful and creepy.

That they are! And I love them.

Posted Image

#28 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

Upcoming euro tour!

27th may: 4AD, Diksmuide - Belgium
xxth june: Primavera Festival, Barcelona - Spain

Let me know if you have more dates. PLZ.

#29 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

• Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

Oh sweet, tour dates.

*crosses finger for america*

[yes, I do realize this was a shameless bump so people would look at the thread]

#30 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

Did someone say shameless bump?

Posted Image

#31 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

• Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

Jack White WATCH OUT.

#32 Guest_#Uncle Vortex#_*

Guest_#Uncle Vortex#_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:42 AM

Umm, the thread is pinned. So there's not much reason to bump it, unless people are using the "view new posts" function. Which I do. Umm, what was my point? Oh yeah, I hope they come by Norway too! I love the deadly snakes.

This has been a shameless bump.

#33 Expecting

Expecting

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:58 AM

I think i got some Deadly Snakes from someone on MSN b8ut i can;t remember. i think i'll check them out everyone seems to be raving about them up in here.

#34 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

Just got my double LP of Porcella in the mail today...the new songs kick ass. I firmly believe this is one of the best releases I've heard in a long time...it's so deeply rich, wonderfully produced and displays some amazing song writing. It sounds like it could have come out at almost anytime from the 1960's through 2010...it's a timeless masterpiece.
Posted Image

#35 dylanblue

dylanblue

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

That's it.

*off to order a copy*

#36 Guest_screwdriver_*

Guest_screwdriver_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'd heard Ode to Joy and I'm Not your soldier, and they hadnt really stuck out to me. But I'm giving Porcella a listen, and yeah, approval.

Debt Collection really sounds alot like 'the weeping song'. Alot.

#37 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

I've been listening to the double LP Porcella ever since I got it and it can't get out of my head...fantastic release. These guys should be making bank right now...what an amazing album.

#38 nofaithmed11

nofaithmed11

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

This is weird, when I try to download the songs, they come out funky. There's this weird glitch or something that I can't explain, but the songs don't sound right. It sounds like the band is playing underwater or something.

#39 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

• Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

This is weird, when I try to download the songs, they come out funky. There's this weird glitch or something that I can't explain, but the songs don't sound right. It sounds like the band is playing underwater or something.

I take it you downloaded the dial-up mp3s? I didnt listen to the quality first since I have no soundcard at the moment, so I guess I should take the hint and bump the sound quality up for the next band.

Edited by No. 1 Fruit Seller, 03 April 2006 - 09:55 PM.

#40 Guest_The Red Door_*

Guest_The Red Door_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

I walked by Gore Vale avenue today. Yes, Gore Veil! It all makes sense now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users