37 replies to this topic

#1 fraserw2

fraserw2

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:47 PM

i don't think there has been a thread on creedence clearwater rivival before, so does anybody like them. all their stuff i've heard is pretty good but i don't have any of their albums. i was thinking of getting chronicle volume 1 but i'd rather get a real album instead of a compilation and i don't know what would be good

Edited by fraserw2, 01 December 2003 - 11:49 PM.

#2 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:41 AM

Get Willy and the Poor Boys...that's their best album, in my opinion, and contains some of their best songs...especially "fortunate son". Damn, that's a great song. Second best album= Cosmo's Factory. Nearly every song on this album ended up on Chronicle. It's fantastic.

Bayou Country is a good one also, but it only has 7 songs.

#3 Peter Seddon

Peter Seddon

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:30 AM

I'd agree with Electricitysghost's recommendations - CCR were one of the first proper bands I ever liked when I was a kid, so I've got a soft spot for them.

#4 sweetiepie50000

sweetiepie50000

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:23 PM

I also love CCR, but I just went out and got Chronicle because I didn't know where to start.

#5 fraserw2

fraserw2

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:22 PM

a couple of my friends have chronicle so i've heard it a few times at some get togethers. it's got a good bunch of songs

#6 VanRoosta

VanRoosta

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:38 PM

Actually I got into CCR becuase somebody (1 of 2 known White Stripes fans in my town) told me that the Stripes reminded him of CCR. Not really musically, but in the sense that's a straightforward and timeless kind of music. It's not going to go out of style anytime soon.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it seems like a pretty decent theory.

#7 raspberryroad

raspberryroad

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:56 PM

I love CCR, I only have 1 of thier albums, its Green River but my dad has chronicle. My favorite is either Lodi or Lookin out my Back Door. or Have you ever seen the rain. God i cant pick. I saw Creedence Clearwater Reisited once at Junefest in Vegas, i was only like 10 but it was still great.

#8 PeculiarSatyr

PeculiarSatyr

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:58 PM

Bad Moon Rising is pretty cool.

#9 Sniper

Sniper

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:04 PM

Bad Moon Rising is pretty cool.

I dig CCR, but as a side note, I remember John Fogerty getting sued by the rest of the members of CCR because "The Old Man Down The Road" sounded too much like "Bad Moon Rising". I thought it was funny to sue a guy for sounding too much like himself. Fortunatelty, the suit was thrown out.

#10 SmilinSkullRing

SmilinSkullRing

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:05 AM

CCR are a great band! John Fogerty is one of the best songwriters ever as well.

I would say pick up Willy and the Poor Boys and/or Cosmo's Factory first which was a spot on recommendation by ElectricitysGhost.

They have so many great songs but "Fortunate Son" has to be my favorite.

#11 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:49 AM

They have so many great songs but "Fortunate Son" has to be my favorite.

Word. The first time I ever heard it I had to play it over again two more times because I couldn't get enough of it. I love the guitar.

On a somewhat unrelated note, a friend/co-worker of mine's cousin (or second cousin or something) is married to John Fogerty. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to meet him. She said he comes into our workplace sometimes to get groceries, but I've never seen him.

#12 lightmyway

lightmyway

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:52 PM

Anyone ever heard "Wrote a Song for Everyone"? That song reminds me so much of the White Stripes. CCR was the first band I ever got into. Thanks daddy-o.

#13 Poppy Z. Brite

Poppy Z. Brite

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:29 PM

THE BIG LEBOWSKI RULES.

#14 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:27 PM

I love the combination of apocalyptic lyrics and campy music in CCR's songs. The one that comes to mind is Bad Moon Rising.

#15 SmilinSkullRing

SmilinSkullRing

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:41 AM

Word. The first time I ever heard it I had to play it over again two more times because I couldn't get enough of it. I love the guitar.

On a somewhat unrelated note, a friend/co-worker of mine's cousin (or second cousin or something) is married to John Fogerty. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to meet him. She said he comes into our workplace sometimes to get groceries, but I've never seen him.

Holy guacomole!!!!!(Okay, so I'm a nerd) :lol: That is awesome about your cousin's friend. I would be telling them to call me up when they see him.

I agree about the guitar on the song. That song is one of my favorites of all time not just by CCR. The lyrics really get me too--it's catchy yet meaningful.

BTW, has anyone seen the commercial that uses the song but only uses the lyric "oooh they're red, white, and blue"? I hate that.

#16 velouria

velouria

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:16 AM

CCR is one of the greatest american bands ever. I am amzed they were from Southern California.

#17 Seej

Seej

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:46 PM

I dig CCR, but as a side note, I remember John Fogerty getting sued by the rest of the members of CCR because "The Old Man Down The Road" sounded too much like "Bad Moon Rising". I thought it was funny to sue a guy for sounding too much like himself. Fortunatelty, the suit was thrown out.

It was Run Thru The Jungle, not Bad Moon Rising. Im glad that kinda crap doesnt happen or Jack wouldve been in court by now. :blink:

#18 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:15 AM

Holy guacomole!!!!!(Okay, so I'm a nerd) :lol: That is awesome about your cousin's friend. I would be telling them to call me up when they see him.

I agree about the guitar on the song. That song is one of my favorites of all time not just by CCR. The lyrics really get me too--it's catchy yet meaningful.

BTW, has anyone seen the commercial that uses the song but only uses the lyric "oooh they're red, white, and blue"? I hate that.

I think the commercial is for jeans. Wranglers or something. I don't ever really get upset when good songs are used in commercials, but I think it's hilarious when the people making the commercial use songs that don't fit in. Like "Lust for Life" in those cruise commercials.

"Fortunate Son" is sort of...not anti-American, but it's not exactly a patriotic song. Yet it's being played with images of all these people in their jeans, having fun in the USA...hahaha. Idiots.

I keep hoping that maybe Mr. Fogerty will come in and order a drink from Starbucks one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet.

#19 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 06:43 PM

THE BIG LEBOWSKI RULES.

YES!

CCR is one band you can always listen to, no matter what the situation or the surroundings. i like it.

#20 hakarl

hakarl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:31 AM

I dig CCR, but as a side note, I remember John Fogerty getting sued by the rest of the members of CCR because "The Old Man Down The Road" sounded too much like "Bad Moon Rising".  I thought it was funny to sue a guy for sounding too much like himself.  Fortunatelty, the suit was thrown out.

Actually, he was sued by the record company he was signed to at the time. It made one hell of a trial though, because he brought in his guitar and played both songs for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users