16 replies to this topic

#1 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

TMR announced last week that Third Man Books (TMB) had signed a deal with Consortium Book Sales & Distribution, and it got a nice write-up today at Publisher's Weekly-- http://www.publisher...consortium.html

Third Man Books, an imprint created by Grammy Award-winning rock musician Jack White and announced last summer, has quickly gained a foothold in the industry. The book endeavor, which will be overseen by White's business partners Chet Weise and Ben Swank, has just signed a North American distribution deal with Consortium, and is set to publish three books in 2015.

On Third Man's inaugural list is Hidden Water, by the late poet Frank Stanford. The title is a companion volume to Copper Canyon Press’ compilation of Stanford’s poems, What About This? Both titles, which will be published in April, were edited by Michael Wiegers, Copper Canyon's executive editor.

Described by Weise as "a deep cuts kind of compilation," Hidden Water, which is getting a 5,000-copy print run, includes Sanford's unpublished poems, as well as facsimiles of his drafts, letters, and artwork, plus a download of Stanford reading his poem, "The Boathouse.”

The Truth Is We Are Perfect by Janaka Stucky, a former mortician and the 2010 National Haiku Champion, will be published in May, also with 5,000-copy initial print run. Pain: The Board Game by Sampson Starkweather, a collection of poems featuring a board game modeled on the popular 1970s-era board game, Life, will be published this fall with a tentative 2,000-copy initial print run.

Third Man Books hopes, Weise told PW, to produce “at least” five or six books each year, “with a mind to do even more in the future.” An early history of hip hop and a book on baseball are in the early stages of production.

“We’re going to do a lot of different things,” Weise said, explaining that Third Man Books is the extension “both philosophically and literally” of Third Man Records, which was founded in Nashville by White and Swank in 2001. The company has evolved into a hub for the creation and distribution of “any and every form of expression, from music to poetry, fiction to film.”

To that end, Third Man Books was launched to “further explore the music of language,” by publishing contemporary poetry, literary fiction, biography, as well as music and photography books and poetry chapbooks. The company’s motto is, Weise noted, “Third Man Records & Third Man Books/Where Your Turntable’s Not Dead & Where Your Page Still Turns.”

While White is “hands on” and “knows everything we’re doing,” Weise said that he and Swank oversee the daily operations of Third Man Books. The 24 employees at Third Man Records also assist in the new publishing venture.

In August, Third Man Books made its debut with Language Lessons, an anthology with 300 pages of poetry and prose from a variety of writers. Those with pieces in the collection ranged from Nashville locals making their publishing debuts, to Pulitzer and National Book Award finalists C.D. Wright, Adrian Matejka and Dale Ray Phillips. Language Lessons includes two vinyl music LPs, and five broadsides.

“We definitely started with what we know,” Weise said, “We’re an indie label and are doing the DIY thing. We found a kindred spirit in Consortium. It makes sense that we would go together.”

For her part, Consortium president Julie Schaper noted that she’d “often thought that indie music fans overlap with indie fiction fans; Third Man Books is proving that notion true. I look forward to a long, fruitful partnership that generates lots of new ideas and creative collaboration."

Even David Steinberger, president and CEO of the Perseus Books Group, Consortium’s parent company, weighed in with words of welcome to Consortium’s newest client publisher. "We, and the publishing industry, just got a lot hipper with [Third Man Books’] foray into the literary world,” he stated in a release. “I am confident Consortium can offer the best springboard for Third Man to continue to surprise audiences and defy expectations."

I'm excited about the book about baseball, and may even check out the history of hip-hop. And Pain: The Board Game sounds terribly intriguing.

Edited by Kali Durga, 16 March 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#2 laurelei

laurelei

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Just got a text that they will be in NYC this Friday!

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, they posted about that in the Vault, too, it's a book launch party for Janaka Stucky's book--  http://thirdmanstore...ch-party-in-nyc

#4 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

http://www.poetryfou...neral_marketing

Chicago!

Edited by stripes42, 27 March 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#5 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

^^^^^^ cool

so did anyone make it to NYC?

#6 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

I made it to NYC, but not to the TMR shindig

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

New upcoming release announced today-- http://thirdmanbooks...anford-archives

#8 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:05 AM

^^that's cool!

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

Fourth release from TMB is up for pre-order: Pain, The Board Game.  And, to accompany it, Pain the Video Game-- http://thirdmanrecor...the-video-game/

#10 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, that game gets tedious really quick. :lol:

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Not necessarily.

#12 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

anybody going to the Third Man books night in LA tonight?  i wanna go but I didn't plan ahead of time and i don't want to go alone.

plus i'm afraid i'll be the oldest one there.   :ph34r:

i wanna go for the poetry not for the TMR scene.

Edited by stripes42, 15 October 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Go, Darlene!  You don't need a buddy for poetry!  I wish I could go with you. I keep asking if they're going to schedule one in the DC/Baltimore area and Janaka Stucky has said he'd like to do Baltimore because he's got family in the area. But nothing yet.  So go!  Someone's gotta!

#14 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

i'll go.  i'm trying to talk my brother in law into joining me.  he works near there.  but i'll go regardless.  my husband has to work or he'd join me.

Edited by stripes42, 15 October 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#15 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

Alone equals NO.DISTRACTIONS. IM BEHIND on all these TMR BOOKS releases. Geez

#16 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

i do agree with you^^.  sometimes it's nice to go with only your own brain.

#17 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

First off, I'm glad I went. I enjoyed the readings - but they should have read more! Each poet read only for about 5 minutes each, definitely less than 10. Was it like this at the other readings? Or were they disappointed by the size of the crowd? and where were the 100+ who said they were "Going" now showing up as "Went"? I'd estimate the size of the crowd at under 50, and a few pods of people weren't listening and didn't seem to be there for this event. (The readings didn't start until around 7:30, even though the event start-time was 6:00. Fortunately the setting was fantastic.) Chet was charming (I had a brief chat with him - he mentioned another event at this same location coming up at the end of March) and the DJ was good. Janaka Stucky performed his pieces - terrific, heartfelt, and energetic. I probably enjoyed his bit the most as it was more of a performance than a reading. Sampson Starkweather was humble - but his pieces really came off well. Paige Taggert's reading was good but her work seemed to be pretty deep - definitely worth reading and trying to understand a bit more. Amelia Gray read a dark, humorous long poem I think called "50 Ways to Kill Your Lover." I would have liked to hear one of her prose pieces. I bought "Pain" and "The Truth is We are Perfect" and had them both signed. (Got a free "The Truth is.. button!) Both authors were nice, friendly and easy to chat with.

Edited by stripes42, 16 October 2015 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users