Photo

Upcoming Shows in the D (and Ferndale)

• Please log in to reply
2935 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Detroit area venue (130 member(s) have cast votes)

vote, god dammit

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image

I cried, met Dan Perty and huggeg a Club model all in the same day. I even wore my "Bless You Boys" T-shirt with the pope wearing a Tiger hat. '84 represent.

I now feel the need to go watch Ken Burns' documentary "Baseball" , all ten dvds!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*pats you on the shoulder*..... :( I feel your pain man

let's cry together

i remember my last game there.....before i went through the tunnel to leave...i just turned and stared at the field and the emptying stands and thought "shit.....I will never be here again."

#42 Rambler

Rambler

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

The hardest part was sitting there after the game, when they introduced all the old timers and former Tiger greats... That's when the bawling was uncontrollable. Funny thing, I only cry for baseball, every year after the last out of the Little League World Series I go ridiculously teary. Those poor kids that lose!!! And when the Tigers fell short in '87 to the Twins, yeah I lost it completely. :( I can't cry at movies, or tragedy on the news, but baseball does it every time. I'm a sucka. :)

I'll cry when Ernie Harwell dies too, I just know it.

#43 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:11 PM

I'll cry when Ernie Harwell dies too, I just know it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i will too.....anyone who doesn't well :huh: ....there's something wrong with them

#44 xraymind7781

xraymind7781

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

my god this thread has gotten pretty deep since i last checked. first i eat at American Coney, but only when Laffayettes full. and yes those bathrooms are rediculous, i'm 6'2" and its a nightmare especially when shit faced. there are alot of buildings in desperate need of restoration. The Book Cadilac is very near and dear to my heart. It was such a beautiful place at one time. Kilpatrik is nothing short of a thug. the people of Detroit have and probably always will choose the least suitable mayoral candidate. Now Tigers Stadium. i was at the last game with my dad and grandpa, we were all crying at the end. whenever i catch a gig at the lager house, my friends and i always buy a bottle of wine and walk down and sit at Tiger Stadium and chill for a few. Ernie Harwell is a god in my mind. i will always associate him with hot summer evenings growing up. i dont know how many times i fell asleep listening to west coast road games with Ernie yelping: "and that one is....Loooong Gooone!" his voice is one thing that truly comforts me every time i hear it.

#45 Rambler

Rambler

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:05 PM

*wipes away little teardrops*

snif

I'd better go now.

#46 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

Ernie Harwell is a god in my mind.  i will always associate him with hot summer evenings growing up.  i dont know how many times i fell asleep listening to west coast road games with Ernie yelping: "and that one is....Loooong Gooone!"  his voice is one thing that truly comforts me every time i hear it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was just thinking about that...i too, have fallen asleep to his voice....at my grandparents cottage, the game was ALWAYS on.....if the tigers were playing, grandpa was listening......

man...this is getting all sad and sentimental

EDIT:.....xray....can you taste a difference between American and Lafayette?..just wondering...cuz i've never had one at american

Edited by MegOnFire, 18 January 2005 - 10:09 PM.

#47 xraymind7781

xraymind7781

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:47 PM

....xray....can you taste a difference between American and Lafayette?..just wondering...cuz i've never had one at american

if there is a difference i've either been to hungry or drunk to tell :D the service is definitly better at Laffayette.

#48 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

MOJO Magazine QUOTE:

"We singled out Lafayette because it's where Patti and Fred "Sonic" Smith first locked eyeballs, and where Sir Mack Rice claims to have written Mustang Sally."

....that is my reason for believing that it was actually Lafayette......and cuz I'm a loyal 3rd generation supporter of Lafayette.....American blows  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah, thanks for the correction.....i couldnt remember if it was american or lafayette. and yeah, lafayette coney is SO much better. coney dogs in general are great....i get them for .99 every wednesday after buying new comics....theres a coney island right next door to my comic shop...its beautiful. have you ever been to Plaka's in greek town? they have AMAZING chili cheese fries! and mexican village in mexican town is the mst amazing mexican food EVER! and its really cheap!

#49 M

M

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

Why the need for a ginormous Borders Books and Music fully faceted in glass, when King Books is the most beautiful store ever? 

John King's is one of Detroit's greatest treasures, easily the best bookstore i've been in (and i've been to the Strand in NYC.)
The streets are another matter. EM1, i agree, i haven't figured out the logic of the downtown yet either. The powers that be need to work on the exits from 75, that don't put out-of-towers right into strange and desolate intersections. Or Canada.
Would be nice if they would make some of those beautiful old and empty office buildings into affordable housing.

#50 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:55 AM

ah, thanks for the correction.....i couldnt remember if it was american or lafayette.  and yeah, lafayette coney is SO much better.  coney dogs in general are great....i get them for .99 every wednesday after buying new comics....theres a coney island right next door to my comic shop...its beautiful.  have you ever been to Plaka's in greek town?  they have AMAZING chili cheese fries!    and mexican village in mexican town is the mst amazing mexican food EVER!  and its really cheap!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

never been to Plaka's....but i might check it out sometime

and MEXICAN VILLAGE might be my favorite restaurant in the world!!......mmmm lunch burazzo (can't spell), giant heaping fajita platters, and the best damn lemonade that I have ever encountered. Too bad I fill myself up on chips and salsa before I get my food...never fails, I do it everytime <_<

John King's is one of Detroit's greatest treasures, easily the best bookstore i've been in

and where is this John King's everyone speaks of....I've never been
street and address would be much appreciated :D .....because I'm there for sure once I get bored at the auto show on saturday...thanks

Edited by MegOnFire, 19 January 2005 - 12:02 PM.

#51 antigravity

antigravity

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

John King's (the big one) is at 901 W. Lafayette
the one on Cass is very small and there is another in ferndale i've not been to yet.

#52 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:58 PM

The one in Ferndale isn't bad, it's not nearly as big as the big one, but since I haven't been in either of the ones that are actually in Detroit I can't compare the quality for you.

#53 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:11 PM

I was just thinking about it, the Magic Bag hasn't changed their site yet, so this could be very possible. April 1st is April Fools day, it would seem like a very Blanchey thing to do, to pull some kind of an April Fool's prank, but theres no way to know for sure.

#54 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:26 PM

I was just thinking about it, the Magic Bag hasn't changed their site yet, so this could be very possible.  April 1st is April Fools day, it would seem like a very Blanchey thing to do, to pull some kind of an April Fool's prank, but theres no way to know for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah...I checked the Bag's site today and noticed that there was no change.....so I PM'd Roxxan and she said that they sent her their upcoming tour schedule...and they only had a date for April 1st........so, if they aren't just screwing with us...I'd say we'll see them on April Fools. ;)

#55 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

They updated it now, the Sights are replacing Blanche on the 18th. I'm sure Blanche will do something special for April Fools Day. It should be great.

#56 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

yeah...I checked the Bag's site today and noticed that there was no change.....so I PM'd Roxxan and she said that they sent her their upcoming tour schedule...and they only had a date for April 1st........so, if they aren't just screwing with us...I'd say we'll see them on April Fools.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tee hee. this makes it sound like they just sent me a message. i actually just got the "Blanche-styled News" email. :D

anyway, i bet they will have a wonderful show on April Fools Day. :) i wish i could go back to detroit again....

#57 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

i've never been to the magic bag...never really liked the sound of it...i dunno...where's it at? i may have to go, just for this show (and maybe to see the sights too)...hmmm...april first, thats the same day the sin city movie comes out...looks like its gonna be a full day of extreme goodness!!!

#58 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

i've never been to the magic bag...never really liked the sound of it...i dunno...where's it at?  i may have to go, just for this show (and maybe to see the sights too)...hmmm...april first, thats the same day the sin city movie comes out...looks like its gonna be a full day of extreme goodness!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's in Ferndale (Woodward @ 9 mile)

I just might have too go see the Sights as well :D

#59 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

i've never been to the magic bag...never really liked the sound of it...i dunno...where's it at?  i may have to go, just for this show (and maybe to see the sights too)...hmmm...april first, thats the same day the sin city movie comes out...looks like its gonna be a full day of extreme goodness!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never been to the Magic Bag either, but hear it's shitty. Or at least, it just doesn't compare to the Stick. Apparently it's just not a great place to chill and talk with people. It's not as laid-back. **shrug**

I really hope I can make it to the Blanche show!

#60 MegOnFire

MegOnFire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

I've never been to the Magic Bag either, but hear it's shitty.  Or at least, it just doesn't compare to the Stick.  Apparently it's just not a great place to chill and talk with people.  It's not as laid-back.  **shrug**

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked the Bag better before they did the renovations......the bathrooms used to have some pretty choice grafitti......fun to read when you're using the can.

But anyway, I like it....I think some people might not like it as much as the Stick because it's less shitty, and more polished.....but it has a good set-up for concerts.....I like the railing thing at the front....I usually sit there 'till I get kicked off by one of the employees :)

anyway....stick, bag......it's all good (metro) Detroit is such a Magical place!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users