#41 jokrogel

jokrogel

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image

You'll be an 97-year-old grandma, putting the needle down on the 333rd platinum package vinyl for the last time before your record collection is complete ;)

#42 nicole333

nicole333

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

I can't wait to hear about this package.....I vote GBMS on peppermint swirl vinyl :)

#43 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

GBMS vinyl should be for sale outside of the Vault, POSTTD should be as well though so you might be right

#44 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

GBMS vinyl should be for sale outside of the Vault, POSTTD should be as well though so you might be right

I agree, but I think its been said that POSTTD is sub pop, so something limited might be the only way they got to reprint it (doesn't make the ltd availability right but...)

#45 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Does Sub Pop own the right to the Beefheart songs? I don't get how they control the use of a cover?

#46 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

Does Sub Pop own the right to the Beefheart songs? I don't get how they control the use of a cover?

That's a good question...music rights are confusing :wacko: it might be something like they bought the rights to use the song on the singles club record or something...but I'm by no means an authority on the subject...just a guesser

#47 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

There a song rights and master rights. Sub Pop would, presuming the own something, own the master rights. Although this does contradict Jack's usual business plan so who knows.

#48 Melon

Melon

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

wait i just got myself all turned around the beefheart covers are the 7th package right?

anyways does seem to contradict jack, sub pop owning those tracks, but i suppose since it was part of the singles club theres a bit of an exception.

#49 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,706 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

wait i just got myself all turned around the beefheart covers are the 7th package right?

Yes.

#50 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Derp. should have checked the 7" :lol: Each song is under a different publisher, but pretty much owned by BMI.

#51 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

That's entirely different to the master rights though.

#52 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

completely different - Sub Pop has master rights to POSTTD which is why the limited release as Jack didn't buy the rights back from them as he usually does, they might be a bit pricey or something but there has to be a reason it's one of the very few things he doesn't have complete control over

#53 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

While we are on the topic on the availability of certain WS singles over others, it got me thinking...I understand the argument of having all his music be accessible, but in a sense, wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of record clubs/the vault?

#54 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

yes and as a member let me say fuck the Vault. I would have bought a bunch of the stuff they released, maybe even two copies in this case <_< I like the idea - idea, in practice you can't keep everyone happy but I think just putting shit out through TMR would have been sufficient enough for me, it doesn't all have to be gimmicky and collectible for me to love it

#55 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

I agree...on one hand, a record club is cool waiting for the packages in the mail, speculating on announcements, but I think Jack finally exhausted me/broke me of my wanting to collect ltd stuff for the sake of being ltd...maybe the vault would be better off being like a mystery club like the sub pop singles were...more of a mystery month to month

#56 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

don't you even fucking say that man! I have a hard enough time shelling out this amount of cash for shit I feel like I "need" and I'm almost glad he broke me of my ltd malady but I don't know in I would be if I didn't even know what I was going to be getting - not saying there's a better way to do things, just that it's a double edged sword no matter how you look at it really

#57 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

^this is true...if everything was a mystery I'd probably be selling my food/clothing for more records, but I am really looking forward to the black jesus series coming out!^ and we wouldn't have POSTTD if it wasn't for a mystery singles club ;)

#58 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

not to say nothing good has come of them, just that I don't have the balls, or cash flow, to ride that train to often, the Black Jesus 7" being the one exception I've made in a long long time, and I don't even really know why. I think the idea just resonated well enough for me I didn't get all nervous about if it sucked, also that a 10 dollar versus a 60+ dollar gamble :P

#59 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I hear you on the $$$ front...I think I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to start selling some of the ones I don't listen to/collected for the collectibility to make room for other ones/pay bills :/

I do like the idea of fan clubs, albeit this is a pretty expensive one...

#60 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I like fan clubs as well but like you said this is a rather expensive, and if you are thinking of getting rid of anything drop me a PM and let me know as I'd love to rummage if you ever get to needing that cash ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users