797 replies to this topic

#1 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

honestly, i'm expecting wanda, jack and LJ to really tear it up on this. Shakin' All Over? Like the leaves on a tree.

#2 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

shakin' all over is a great song for people to cover. i love the flamin' groovies version. cant wait to hear wanda's take.

#3 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

The Wanda Jackson thread is about halfway down the first page of this sub-forum. ;-)

I was lucky enough to see Wanda a few times last year & she is still amazing. I'm betting this will be one of the best tmr releases to date!

#4 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

She's doing a UK date later this year, I hope to get to it. Could be a last chance.

#5 thecoynemyster

thecoynemyster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

So excited about this. Discovered some Wanda Jackson when I raided my Grandparents' old record collection (along with a mint of Chet Atkins), pretty interested to hear the Winehouse cover myself...

#6 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

The Wanda Jackson thread is about halfway down the first page of this sub-forum. ;-)

thanks, i neglected the subtitles, i'm so lazy

#7 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

amy whitehouse cover? sounds good to me

#8 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

hey gang, until the record comes out, why not compare all the versions of "Let's Have a Party" we have

one's i can recall:

Wanda Jackson
The Collins Kids
The 5.6.7.8s
Paul McCartney (from the Run Devil Run album)
Led Zeppelin (actually part of the Whole Lotta Love medley from How the West was Won)

I'm pretty sure Elvis Presley did it as well, but I can't put my finger on it

#9 JohnC

JohnC

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

She's doing a UK date later this year, I hope to get to it. Could be a last chance.

Just the one ?

#10 doingtheastro

doingtheastro

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Well, for what it is worth, the single released on the 26th is being described as the first two song to come out of the recording session. Might be just the way the reporter choose to describe it, or maybe a single to be released before the album. Guess we will wait and see. Until then here is the original source.

My link

and okay, I will play

Elvis- Let's have a party

Edited by doingtheastro, 09 January 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#11 wewil

wewil

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

#12 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Jack confirms that he is recording a full-length album with Wanda in this article:

http://littleroom.wh...showtopic=66173

#13 black jack davy

black jack davy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Why a Amy Shitehouse cover for side b!!! Jack thought of it too!!

#14 doingtheastro

doingtheastro

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

It is alway fun to see what a veteran can do covering a modern song for one, and the song fits in so well with the bad girl perspective Wanda wrote her songs from 50 years ago. I think it could turn out to be a brilliant choice.

#15 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm going to keep an open mind to the song. Any negative feelings I have toward Amy Winehouse are really silly and have nothing to do with talent or tabloids.

#16 black jack davy

black jack davy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

I'm going to keep an open mind to the song. Any negative feelings I have toward Amy Winehouse are really silly and have nothing to do with talent or tabloids.

hmmmmmmmm,for me she is overated and has no talent.But,i can see it does not mean Wanda wont make it sound good.i shudder at the thought of Amy Shitehouse recording at Third Man Records.but thats just me...

#17 3brokenbricks3

3brokenbricks3

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

I think it should be noted that Wanda is still out there touring and she sounds good. You should go see her if you can.

Funnel of Love:

Riot in Cell Block #9

Date Venue Location

02/11/10 Knitting Factory Brooklyn, NY
02/12/10 The Black Cat Washington, DC
02/13/10 Shenanigans Richmond, VA
04/03/10 Orleans Hotel Las Vegas, NV

#18 doingtheastro

doingtheastro

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

More details about the full length record

Wanda interview- Tulsa world

Here is the part about the record-

The big buzz on this visit was the Queen of Rock’s recent studio work with the prince of American rock ‘n’ roll, White Stripes band founder Jack White. It’s the first new material from Jackson in perhaps decades, she and her husband and manager, Wendell Goodman, said.

After the long lines for autographs faded, Jackson sat down to talk to the Tulsa World about her new music.

“Even after all these decades, I’m finding that I’m still doing things that I’ve never done before,” said Jackson. “But when Jack White asks me to do something, I’ll bend over backwards to do it.”

White and Jackson recently paired to record songs she’s never done before – and songs she probably wouldn’t be interested in if it wasn’t for White’s instruction.

“Well, Jack is quite the musician. He really stretched Wanda,” Goodman said at the venue. Goodman is Jackson’s husband of close to 50 years – and also her longtime manager. “These are songs that she would not otherwise do.”

Jackson’s working her trademark growly vocals on a version of Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Good” and the Johnny Kidd and the Pirates’ scorcher “Shakin’ All Over.” The songs will be part of a two-sided, 7-inch vinyl release. The tunes will also be released digitally via iTunes on Jan. 26, she said.

“Jack’s just super terrific,” said Jackson. She said White’s not at all intimated by working with someone who’s been in the business for over half a century.

“I didn’t think I’d like the Amy Winehouse song at all,” admitted Jackson of the 2006, jazzy R&B and hip-hop influenced tune. “But once I started singing, it all changed. It is a powerful, sweet song.

“To have someone like Jack in my corner, well, he knows exactly what he wants and knows my career better than I do,” she said, then smiled.

Rock and country royalty also showed up to support Jackson’s visit, including longtime Tulsa radio personality Billy Parker, and author and Oak Ridge Boys manager Jim Halsey. Halsey noted that Jack White also penned a tune which the Oak Ridge Boys recently covered, “Seven Nation Army.” Members of the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame were also in the crowd.

Afterward, Jackson signed autographs for a long line of fans young and old – from toddlers to seniors and every age in between.

“I’m busier now than I’ve ever been in my life,” Jackson said after the event. “I can honestly say that. But these days, I take a plane instead of a car and I have bigger crowds. I also make a little more money, and that’s nice, too.”

Her tour plans this year will take her through major cities like New York City, as well as Australia and Europe, she said.

As for what else is coming with new music, Jackson said she’s left it all to White. She will return to his home studio in Nashville next week to record more tunes, she said. One thing she did confirm, though – there will definitely be more singles.

“You’re gonna hear me do some unusual things,” she said with a laugh. “I have high hopes, certainly.”

Edited by doingtheastro, 16 January 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#19 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

She is just a big ol' sweetheart. Every single time I've seen her she has taken the time to sign autographs & speak to every fan in line. Both she & Wendell are just good, gracious folks. Go see her if you have the chance. You won't be sorry!

#20 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Hmm I hope he doesn't have her rapping or something. Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users