Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:32 AM

Aww, what lovely young guys...
Posted Image

Ok, first - watch this:

Then download this, their debut album:

http://rapidshare.co...17/U2_-_Boy.rar
Password: www.about-sexxx.com

Posted Image

Then sit back - and listen. Ta-da! You're a U2 fan!

Now read:

I won't address the 'Bono' factor in this thread - just the music.

Well, it seems where U2 are concerned - people 've already made up their minds. I was in Year 8, and they were my wonderful English teacher Mr. Tardifs favourite band - well, snobbishly I rejected any of his music suggestions. Despite his loving Beach Boys, Cream, Beatles, Hendrix. I adore David, he was later my Year 12 history teacher, and he snuck U2s "Van Diemens Land" into one of our classes, and somehow managed to connect the Concert for George DVD to the Eureka Stockade.

Anyway, he left the school last year and I went in to say goodbye. I got surprisingly emotional, probably never see him again, he's heading off to the beach with his young missus and their baby. He was a wonderful, burnt out 50 year old music lover - so lovely, alot of soul. I miss him.

So yes, I was in my first year out of school - missing the heck out of Tards... just starting to get back into music, so I think, let's give those U2 lads a go. Mr. Tardif had actually burnt me a copy of the Best of 80 to 90 years before, so I started listenin' intently to that.

With or Without You, Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, I Will Follow, Sweetest Thing, Bad, some fantastic pop material on there.

So, head first for Joshua Tree - and ain't it fucking good. Takes me some time to warm to a few tracks, but "Running to Stand Still" really got to me, played the heck out of that song. Very powerful. Same with "Exit", this was a darker sound than I was expecting. Great stuff, menacing bassline from Adam, one of my favourite aspects of the band.

Then I borrow Achtung Baby from the library. Holy shit.

Yeah, that closing trio of tunes could be the best thing they ever did. Almost completely un-arena rock, for those who despise that aspect of the band, just fucking good, powerful, emotionally overwhelming music.

Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed... Baby, baby, baby light my way...

And I'm crying :cry:

Don't let the bastard grind you down... Indeed.

I'm thinking at this point I was really stupid to let Tardsys less than subtle suggestions that I listen to this band go unheeded.

Some time passes, lets do this shit chronologically I think.

"Boy" - WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?! Such a strong, powerful, exciting, self-assured debut. I was expecting "I Will Follow" accompanied by alot of immature dicking about. Into the Heart, The Ocean, Another Time, Another Place - wow. The whole record is incredible.

And on it goes - this is a fucking powerful back catalogue folks - Say what you will of everything post Zooropa (or everything they've ever done), this band are incredible.

Funnily enough, the stuff I like most by the band is the stuff people who hate them will have never heard. Gloria, Lemon, Tomorrow, Wire, Drowning Man...

Ahh well. I'm willing to argue my corner here - these guys were fucking wonderful.

I really want to see the Red Rocks performance, sounds incredible.

Ooh, Bono and Bruce!

Posted Image

Probably the tightest white rhythm section in history. One of the most innovative guitarists of the last 30 years. And Bono.

Edited by Harlen Maguire, 03 April 2007 - 07:41 AM.

#2 Ahab

Ahab

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

i've heard like all of their albums

and ta-da

i still hate U2

sorry man

#3 Harlen Maguire

Harlen Maguire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

What about Zooropa? That's got Johnny Cash on!

#4 Vacated

Vacated

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:13 AM

Everything up to Achtung Baby is phenomenal. They used to be my favorite band back in the day. I saw then 3 times in 92, one of those times was 11th row at the Spectrum in Philly....and the Pixies opened that show.

#5 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Everything up to Achtung Baby is phenomenal.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I can't say I don't like them becuase "back in the day" I LOVED them and I still like all those older songs, but the newer stuff doesn't do anything for me.

#6 Loinbread

Loinbread

Elephant

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Everything up to Achtung Baby is phenomenal. They used to be my favorite band back in the day. I saw then 3 times in 92, one of those times was 11th row at the Spectrum in Philly....and the Pixies opened that show.

Quoted for truth.

My dad was a big U2 "fan". In parenthesis, due to the fact he was only a fan since my mum decided he was so that I could get him all the greatest hits albums for his birthdays. Really like War and Achtung Baby, though.

#7 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

Boy.
:)

#8 Lams

Lams

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

bah, my brothers love it, so i hate it. the usual.

#9 Le Danseur du Macabre

Le Danseur du Macabre

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

This is a perfect place to ask this question:
which of their music videos features other rock and roll acts in it? kind of like a history of music...

I've scoured many, many of their videos and can't find it. I thought it was a one word title. But damn that to hell.
Anyway, I woulda made a new topic, but this thread is perfect. Person to answer gets a special prize!

#10 A Strange Loop

A Strange Loop

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

I've heard a bunch of their albums and the only one that interests me is War. Actung Baby is not my style at all. 'One' is pretty embarrassing.

#11 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

This is a perfect place to ask this question:
which of their music videos features other rock and roll acts in it? kind of like a history of music...
I've scoured many, many of their videos and can't find it. I thought it was a one word title. But damn that to hell.
Anyway, I woulda made a new topic, but this thread is perfect. Person to answer gets a special prize!

Window In The Skies

I found it by typing 'U2 video' into Google. It was the first result.

#12 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Boy.

I made a mistake.

I meant, WAR.

#13 Vacated

Vacated

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

I've heard a bunch of their albums and the only one that interests me is War. Actung Baby is not my style at all. 'One' is pretty embarrassing.

?

Dude Achtung Baby has some of the best lyrics of any record I can think of, One included:

Have you come here for forgiveness,
Have you come to raise the dead
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head
Did I ask too much, more than a lot
You gave me nothing, now it's all I got.
We're one, but we're not the same.
Well, we hurt each other, then we do it again.

But Acrobat, I mean come on:

Don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see
If you just close your eyes you can feel the enemy.
When I first met you girl, you had fire in your soul.
What happened t'your face of melting snow
Now it looks like this!
And you can swallow or you can spit
You can throw it up, or choke on it
And you can dream, so dream out loud
You know that your time is coming round
So don't let the bastards grind you down.

No, nothing makes sense, nothing seems to fit.
I know you'd hit out if you only knew who to hit.
And I'd join the movement
If there was one I could believe in
Yeah, I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in.
'Cause I need it now.
To take the cup
To fill it up, to drink it slow.
I can't let you go.

And I must be an acrobat
To talk like this and act like that.
And don't let the bastards grind you down.

What are we going to do now it's all been said?
No new ideas in the house, and every book's been read.

And I must be an acrobat
To talk like this and act like that.
And you can find your own way out.
And you can build, and I can will
And you can call, I can't wait until
You can stash and you can seize
In dreams begin responsibilities
And I can love, and I can love
And I know that the tide is turning 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down.

#14 le serge

le serge

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

Then I borrow Achtung Baby from the library. Holy shit.

Yeah, that closing trio of tunes could be the best thing they ever did. Almost completely un-arena rock, for those who despise that aspect of the band, just fucking good, powerful, emotionally overwhelming music.

Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed... Baby, baby, baby light my way...

And I'm crying :cry:

Don't let the bastard grind you down... Indeed.

I'm thinking at this point I was really stupid to let Tardsys less than subtle suggestions that I listen to this band go unheeded.

:wub: Ah, now you have tugged at my heart strings, especially the comment about the last three songs. One of my favorite albums ever, and I'm proud to say it!!

#15 Guest_Miss_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Miss_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

When I was 15 I used to listen to the last three songs on Achtung Baby and weep into my pillow. That is all.

#16 Harlen Maguire

Harlen Maguire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

YOU'RE SO CRUEL!!!

:lol:

#17 ryko

ryko

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

I bought the 1980-1990 compilation some years back. Great songs but found it too slick.
Apart from that I had purchased their 2 recent albums - excellent stuff, especially "Atomic Bomb".
Someone suggested I listen to "One" (their greatest song?). It is OK...somewhat boring actually.

#18 themeadowlands

themeadowlands

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

Even if you hate Bono, hate U2, and hate their music, You can't deny 'One' is an amazing song.

#19 Harlen Maguire

Harlen Maguire

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

Someone suggested I listen to "One" (their greatest song?). It is OK...somewhat boring actually.

One of the best bridges ever.

"You asked me to enter, and then you made me crawl - and I can't be holding on..."

Stunning.

Not really 'one' of their greatest songs though - merely one that's associated with the band alot.

#20 Guest_Miss_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Miss_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

YOU'RE SO CRUEL!!!

:lol:

Oh sugar don't you cry
oh child wipe the tears from your eyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users