7372 replies to this topic

#7361 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:28 AM

Was listening to NPR yesterday and heard about Women Rowing North.

Didn't catch the authors name but it's a book about aging women, retirement and recreating life. Sounded good. Ordered it.

Hopefully this will kickstart me reading again. Haven't been lately :huh:

#7362 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:22 AM

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

It's good, but I can't help but feel like a lot of this could have been condensed, and the idea that there are 3 more books--each at over 400 pages--seems just... unnecessary.

#7363 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

I was curious what you'd think - I had similar feelings ^^and never bothered with the rest of the books. However, I really enjoyed the HBO series. 

I just finished Becoming by Michele Obama. Not just a great life story, but quite well written. Honestly, I got chills and tears at various points. The contrast between what we had then and what we have now is just too much.

Edited by stripes42, 04 February 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#7364 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

^^^ I love those period pieces that take me back. I've been wanting to read her book as well. Will put on my list. Thanks.

#7365 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:33 AM

Finished My Brilliant Friend (finally, after everything going on). I thought it was okay, but not good enough to read the rest of the series. I may try to track down the TV version (blasphemy to many, I'm sure).

I honestly had no clue what I wanted to read next, so I'm just picking up the Bell Jar for probably the 10th time. One of those great books that changes meaning every time I read it. It's been a while--probably 7 years at least since I last read it.

#7366 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

you know, I never read The Bell Jar. 

I just finished The Wife by Meg Wolitzer, after seeing the movie a few weeks ago. both were quite good, and the movie was very faithful to the book for the most part.

#7367 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

I'm glad you liked the Wife; I know the twist and everything, but I wasn't sure about reading it. Not sure why. I know you didn't care for the Interestings and had some issues with The Female Persuasion; is it fair to say this is the book you enjoyed most of hers?

#7368 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:17 PM

I actually ended up liking The Female Persuasion, but after a little bit of a rough start, and I stuck with it because you had liked it so much ;). and the farther I get from having read it, the more I like it. I'd have to say I liked The Wife from start to finish. it's not as big of a story as TFP, so a little less risk I think for MW, but very successful on the whole - for me at least. 

Edited by stripes42, 21 February 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#7369 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

That all makes sense!

And you really should read the Bell Jar. It's so misrepresented as "depressed chick lit" (which could get me going on how unfair that characterization is given all the Hemingway limp dick books). It's acerbic and filled with unexpected images and turns of phrase. So much of it speaks to the choices we make as women--even so many years later, although it's funny that the issues the 20 year old narrator is struggling with seems more similar to what my 30-ish friends are dealing with. 

#7370 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

I'll read it soon!

currently working on Room to Dream by David Lynch and Kristine McKenna. I've been reading it in bits and pieces, but will focus on it now. he is just such a strange guy. I'm continuously impressed by his couldn't-care-less-what-anyone-else-thinks attitude.

#7371 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

My Own Words

RBG

#7372 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:04 AM

Finally finished the Gilead trilogy by Marilynne Robinson

I think Lila might be my favorite of the lot, but the entire trio was some of the best and most decidedly "American" writing I've come across. Those books aren't for everyone because so little happens, but I love how "quiet" they are, focusing more on character development than plot. 

Now, on to The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

#7373 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

so, from the library today I picked up The Bell Jar and The Power, by Naomi Alderman.

and just to look at the black pages, I checked out the Tristram Shandy book, by Laurence Stern, as referenced in https://themillions....1b9zewDAjpJJZEQ

p.s. Lila was my favorite of the three also 

Edited by stripes42, 27 March 2019 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users