19 replies to this topic

#1 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,392 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I am late to the party, but I just started watching this series on Netflix.  It went 8 seasons and the last one was last year.  What a fantastic show.  It's kind of reminds me of a Marijuana version of Breaking Bad that has more humor to it.

Anyone else catch this series during it's run?

#2 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

I used to watch it when it was on, I always wished it was an hour instead of just 30 minutes! I also wish Doug and Andy could have their own show.

#3 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I watched the entire series recently. I thought it started off great, tapered a bit and ended horribly, but that is my humble opinion. Of course, how many of these stories end happily ever after?

#4 Hanska

Hanska

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

A great great show in the beginning, but if I remember right. The two last seasons really stank! To be honest, the main reason I started watching the thing was Mary-Louise Parker. Great humor in the beginning. 

#5 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Right and Doug stole the show for a while. Always felt for Andy too, that poor guy.

Those first couple seasons are amazing.

Edited by sikntwzd, 15 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#6 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

I thought season 7 was terrible, but then it got pretty good again for the last season. Still a great show overall, though.

#7 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,392 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

Oh I am not liking this talk about the show not being as good in the later years!

#8 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I just didn't care for most of season 7, although it still had its moments and it was worth watching for a few really hilarious tidbits. I thought season 8 was better.

One of my favorite moments in the whole series, the San Acitos Dirt Shrew:

tumblr_lhgqekU2Ae1qcujoko1_500.jpg

"Moment of silence for the dirt shrew..."

#9 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

The series finale was a horrible train-wreck. Not sure what they were thinking with that one, I just remember my jaw being on the floor the entire time in disbelief. Did someone get hit in the head really hard before writing that one?

#10 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am with those who thought the earlier seasons were much better - the show was less focused and more ridiculous as time went on. But, of course, I watched every episode! :P 

I just finished watching ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, which is Jenji Kohan's new show and it's on Netflix only, so you can binge watch the whole season! 

#11 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

^^How is that new show?? Been on the fence about taking the plunge.

#12 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Women's prison, great cast and almost believable!  It definitely sucks you in right from the beginning.

#13 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Nice, gonna have to give it a try.

#14 stripeydave

stripeydave

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'd have to echo the rest. Started out really funny then got more desperate in attempts to find humorous situations to place them in. Couldn't watch anymore after the sixth season, I didn't want to waste anymore of my old life on dreck. Kind of glad to hear I made a good decision!

By the way, I was bored one day and thought about it, the name Agrestic, seemed so forced. You can anagram it and it spells Cigarets. There you go.

#15 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

tumblr_mdxbgcAd4X1r7ic0io1_400.jpg

I only ever watched 6 or 7 episodes, and sort of lost interest. This pretty much sums it up for me  :D

I just finished watching ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, which is Jenji Kohan's new show and it's on Netflix only, so you can binge watch the whole season! 

however, I'm loving this show. Only watched 2 episodes so far, but I can see me losing several evenings this week with back to back episodes!

#16 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

I'm not reading this thread because I'm only in season 5. I have a love/hate relationship with Nancy so far and am totally in love with Andy and the kids :)

Edited by kts1997, 01 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#17 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

I would rank Andy and Silas as my favorites. 

#milfweed

#18 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,095 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

:wub::wub:Yes!! Me too!! Andy is exhausting most of the time but his heart~~~~aw, his heart is made of gold and I think that Silas mirrors him.

LOL Milfweed....if only it could be that easy :-) !!!!!!

#19 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

I was REALLY Into this show a few years ago when I started my first masters and didn't have time for hour long shows. However, it really lost me in the season where they started working at the hotel to get away from the bad guys. Never finished it. I still haven't really found a solid sitcom I can watch and enjoy without quitting.

#20 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,095 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

I think like all long running shows they kinda end up going in a really corky direction at times. I often wonder if the writers get bored or if they burn out.

I just finished Californication Kat and I love love loved it. There are a lot of references to the 70's Boho era of which I grew up in that I can relate too. A ton and I mean a ton of music references. Lenny Kravitz daughter does a small bit in season 5 or 6, can't really remember now. And I am a huge Duchovny fan even from the X-files. He's really quite intelligent. Double degreed from two different Ivy schools. Princeton, Yale, Columbia. And I think his delivery is impeccable. If you can get over the language and raunch you might find it quite entertaining. You just need to remember that it's a show about men. How men relate to each other, how they relate to their spouses, how they interpret and navigate their world. But what I found most compelling is how deeply and differently they love. I cherish that. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users