113 replies to this topic

#101 joeldalley

joeldalley

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

I had no idea it was popular to hate Gotham. I never heard of its existence before it appeared recently near the top of Netflix, where, because it's named Gotham, I figured it must be a Batman thing. And I like Batman. But in retrospect, because it's in the Batman universe, I can see why comic book nerds have strong feelings about it, being possessive and picky as they are. Just like with comic book movies.

Now, I want to be clear. It's not great. It's barely good. First of all, it has children actors in prominent roles with a lot of screen time. One of the things I do like about it, is that it pulls this off so well. As well as can be expected, I mean. And I think they manage to not ruin it only because they are older children, probably well into their teens. Secondly, the writing really is pretty bad. It's completely formulaic and cliched, and kept within a narrow band, so as to appeal to the widest possible audience. But, what it does really well is immerse the viewer into the Batman universe through its production design. The police station set is a great example. Perfectly captures the feeling of the comics (as I remember them, from a million years ago).

Who's supposed to be the young Joker? The circus kid, who killed his mom? I can't remember. I thought he was only in that one episode, and laughed like the Joker once, and that was it. Maybe I slept through a couple episodes around the episode 15 mark or something. And what you're saying about the finale, I know for sure I watched that, but can't remember the things you're mentioning. Because, ultimately, that's the thing about this show. It's all visual style, and otherwise completely forgettable.

Ultimately, I think the number one thing that kept me going with it, beyond the Batman branding (which I will admit attracted me, and I'd probably never have watched it otherwise, so I'm part of the problem in Hollywood w/ sequels and reboots being the only movies that get made anymore--watching something only because of familiar branding...), is the one really good and strong dynamic in the show: Gordon and his partner. They're great together. They even have a good arc that moves over the whole season, where Gordon gets increasingly defiant and determined, and Bullock's (Bollocks? what's his name? ha) heart grows three times larger, as he starts to care more about doing the right thing a little more each episode. That was done well.

#102 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

I agree with most of what you said here.  I wasn't referring to any specifics about the Season 1 finale in my comments, but rather some stuff in the first two episodes of Season 2, where that circus kid is featured rather prominently.

I think most of the eps from Season 1 bounced from the C-to-B-minus range (with the visuals propping up the writing, which was often fairly weak), but I'm hopeful that they're heading towards a B show.  There seems to be more narrative focus right off the bat (no pun intended).

#103 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

^^^^ Thanks Cheeky, I'll have to watch it.

Watched it over the weekend and thought it was very good !!!

The Chuck Berry spat made me laugh, if Chuck Berry wants it to sound like that, then that's the way Chuck Berry wants it.   :lol:

#104 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

^^^ :lol:!!! Yes I found that good. What did you think of Tom Waits? I just love that guy. "I tried to keep up with him and that's something that you just don't do". Or something to that effect :lol:. I can't remember his exact words but that was the take on it. Ohhh Rock and Roll, that lifestyle would have killed me. There was no putting on the brakes when I got rolling either so I get these guys. Now I'm just plain ol boring :lol:

#105 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

So I'm told that I can stream...wait.....PORTLANDIA on Netflix. Yeeeeaaaahhhh~~~~~~~

But not until I finish Dexter :wub: :wub: :wub:

#106 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:18 AM

So I'm told that I can stream...wait.....PORTLANDIA on Netflix. Yeeeeaaaahhhh~~~~~~~

A-O River!

#107 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

Even though I have already seen season one, Better Call Saul just hit Netflix!  Time to re-watch season one before season two starts on Monday!

#108 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

I missed the boat on this one too^^^^^^

I just can never seam/seem to ketchup/catch up :lol:

#109 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

ohh, ketchup seams and mustard teems with relish.

I suppose I should have rewatched Saul season 1. or at least the last episode or two.

#110 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

Saul is well worth it, especially if you have seen all of Breaking Bad!  I love the little Breaking Bad callbacks during the first season.

#111 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

What's on Netflix?  32% fewer titles, that's what...

http://www.msn.com/e...cid=mailsignout

#112 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Abducted in Plain Sight.

What the hell was wrong with those parents ?

Disturbing on all levels.

Predator sleeps with daughter, mother and gets a handy from the father.

:huh:

#113 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

^^^^^ :o :o :o!!!

:huh: Goodness Rich!! Whatcha watch'in?!! :lol:!!!

Watching a lot of docs on Netflix. Gaga, Roe, Bundy. Want to watch Period next.

#114 300 icky piranhas blues

300 icky piranhas blues

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

Narcos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users