90 replies to this topic

#1 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

Please tell me I am not the only one in here who watches and loves this sweet little show?  This show is fantastic.  Funny and has some awesome, awesome charactors.  Do yourself a favor and check it out!

http://www.fxnetwork...-worst/episodes

#2 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

I'd give it a look, but freakin' FX Canada doesn't show it.  It's on FXX, which I don't have.

ETA:  Apparently I do have it, but for some reason, I didn't have the station programmed into my guide.  I'll correct that some time today.

Edited by J.C., 23 October 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#3 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

I'd give it a look, but freakin' FX Canada doesn't show it.  It's on FXX, which I don't have.

ETA:  Apparently I do have it, but for some reason, I didn't have the station programmed into my guide.  I'll correct that some time today.

Good! Hope you like it!

#4 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

I guess I'll just jump right in with the Halloween themed Season 2 episode that airs this week.  It seems as though outside of that show and The League, the rest of that FXX channel is just syndicated sitcoms, which is probably why I overlooked it in the first place.

#5 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:34 PM

Please tell me I am not the only one in here who watches and loves this sweet little show?  This show is fantastic.  Funny and has some awesome, awesome charactors.  Do yourself a favor and check it out!

http://www.fxnetwork...-worst/episodes

sweet? These characters are anything but sweet.

ok Brian. I was folding laundry and figgered I'd give this a twirl. I wound up watching 5 episodes and made an audible sound of disappointment when there were no episodes left

#6 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:13 PM

sweet? These characters are anything but sweet.
ok Brian. I was folding laundry and figgered I'd give this a twirl. I wound up watching 5 episodes and made an audible sound of disappointment when there were no episodes left

Great news!! Glad you enjoyed it. The Sunday Funday season 1 ep was one of my faves.

#7 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

I watched the previous week's episode, and the Halloween one, last night.  And the first one proved an effective set-up for the introduction of the female lead's clinical depression, which her boyfriend was trying to help her with in the Halloween one.

I don't know how anyone would be able to get a permit for THAT haunted house (I mean, they're basically physically assaulting people, and removing their clothes?), but it was pretty hysterical.  The curvy woman ain't shy about showing her body.

I think I'll set the Season Pass for that show for the time being.  What I appreciate about it is there's a reasonably rich psychological underpinning for the humour, which sets it apart from a fair number of comedy series.

#8 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

I need to fill in what I've missed--which I think is season one and the most recent episode

#9 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Last night's episode:  not so funny.  Actually rather depressing in nature.  I'm not making a value judgment on that, only noting that they seem to be heading down a pretty dark path here, that might not leave room for as much comedy.

#10 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Last night's episode:  not so funny.  Actually rather depressing in nature.  I'm not making a value judgment on that, only noting that they seem to be heading down a pretty dark path here, that might not leave room for as much comedy.

Yeah, this depression storyline isn't going away. I wasn't expecting the show to have this over shadow the comedy. Hopefully next week brings back the funny, while starting to conclude this storyline.

#11 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

It was pretty jarring at first...I thought I'd DVR'd the wrong show, with the new (one-off?) characters onscreen.

Yeah, they'd better be careful with the depression storyline.  I remember when the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series (which was usually around a 40-60 split between comedy and drama) had the main character suffer from serious depression for the entire sixth season, certain viewers (not me, because I could relate at the time) were really up in arms about it.  So with a series like YTW, it could be a show-killer for some folks if it goes on too long.  While I think it would be extremely disingenuous of the writers to have her depression suddenly disappear (clinical depression simply doesn't work that way), it can't be front-and-center every episode; it should only be a colour in the show's palette.

Edited by J.C., 06 November 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#12 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

It appears that the AV Club thinks There Is Not Currently A Problem (the episode that preceded the Halloween one, and the first I ever watched) was the best episode the show has ever produced.  And their reviewer thinks the new ep, even though it contained practically zero laughs, may have equaled or even topped it.  Interesting.

I'm still waiting for FX and FXX to run marathons of Louie and this so I can get caught up.  Hopefully YTW doesn't get cancelled due to extremely low ratings (clearly that's why it was moved to FX's sister network).

#13 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

I'm starting season one tonight.

#14 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

I'm starting season one tonight.

Let us know what you think!

#15 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:24 AM

I just have to wait for a marathon on FXX for that, as my online options don't seem great.

#16 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

I'm still waiting for the lone copy of season one to return to the library. It's due on the 13th so hopefully I'm next on the list.

I agree regarding the most recent episode. not that I didn't like it, but I missed what I typically like about the show.
Spoiler

Seems I'm becoming invested in these characters that I thought were so shallow and self-absorbed.

#17 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:05 PM

I love Lindsey... that voice!  My goodness, she is so quirky...

#18 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

I still can't believe they did that Buffalo Bill bit in the Halloween episode.  That takes some guts!

#19 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

Binge-watched season one and two over the weekend and I loved it! The recent heaviness of Gretchyn's depression/almost baby stealing has been a bit of bummer. Not that everything has to always be funny, I just want her to come out of it and be ok. Lindsay is my favorite, her voice, her attitude, even her bitchy sister. Thanks for recommending this show!

#20 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

I still can't believe they did that Buffalo Bill bit in the Halloween episode.  That takes some guts!

Oh no no.. the best was the Stephen Hawking costume by Lindsey's ex-husband!  That costume took some guts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users