967 replies to this topic

#21 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

that line was cheesy, i knew from when i saw him digging graves that some people at camp were gonna die. but wasnt there empty soup cans on strings surrounding the perimeter so that they could hear the walkers if they came? i thought i saw it briefly in one episode.

#22 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

that line was cheesy, i knew from when i saw him digging graves that some people at camp were gonna die. but wasnt there empty soup cans on strings surrounding the perimeter so that they could hear the walkers if they came? i thought i saw it briefly in one episode.

It's pretty clear Merle brought them to the camp. He no doubt took them down, all quite like and whatnot, before letting the zombies out of the truck. ;)

#23 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:36 AM

brilliant ^ if your not writing the scripts-you should be.

#24 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

billdore, I was thinking that Merle inadvertently lead them there, but I don't how he can get them into the truck without getting bit. But your idea is good, lets see what happens next sunday.

#25 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

billdore, I was thinking that Merle inadvertently lead them there, but I don't how he can get them into the truck without getting bit. But your idea is good, lets see what happens next sunday.

Yeah, I can't wait for Sunday nights!

I figured it was intentional because the guys commented on how Merle would bring his vengeance on the camp. Isn't the truck split?--a back cargo area separate from the cab? He could have just drug a dead body up into it and then lured them in and bolted them in. Then, drive to camp, take down the soup can alarm. Let out zombies.

Anyway, that was my thinking--like you said, we'll see how it plays out. :rolleyes:

Edited by billdore, 24 November 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#26 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

yea i think it was split, i think your right. I really dont have any idea what will happen next, i've never read any of the comics, have you?

#27 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

yea i think it was split, i think your right. I really dont have any idea what will happen next, i've never read any of the comics, have you?

No, I'd never even heard of it--I wasn't aware it was based off anything until after I watched the pilot and found out more about it.

#28 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

that light from the opening door blew my fucking mind. perfect. PERFECT! i never read the graphic novels but that moment made me pass out with joy.

#29 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

Last night was my least favorite episode thus far....it was paced very badly but I did enjoy some parts. Seeing Rick sort of break down for the first time after taking the leadership role was good to see start happening. The whole CDC part I am unsure of though since it's not in the comic at all....I was hoping that this season would end with them finding what they thought was the greatest place to setup a community. That story arc was one of my favorites in the comic. But from the teaser for episode 6 it seems it's them at the CDC alot of the time...so I don't know what the season cliff hanger will be. I did like seeing some Shane and Rick start getting into it as well.

I'm wondering what will happen with Merle....I guess he has the potential to pop up again since Rick did leave that note for Morgan but we shall see.

It really sucks that after next week we wont get new episodes for about a year....that's quite a long wait.

#30 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

I'm thinking Merle will come back as The Governor. That would be cool!

The Walking Dead Director Frank Darabont stated with a grin on his face:
"I can't wait to get to Michonne and The Governor. I can't wait to get to those characters. I love those characters"

#31 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

last nights episode was some depressing shit, man.

#32 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

i guess that i am naive about my non-critical acceptance of anything they offer when it comes to cinematic versions of comics. i love it all. i've loved all the blockbuster adaptations of any comic that i've seen. i guess it's based in my partial ignorant state and simple AMAZEMENT and adoration for the attempts.

i particularly love when the film adaptation tries to mimic the comic. that light and door opening just blew me away. that sort of thing always does. i'm still babbling about it!!!

#33 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

i particularly love when the film adaptation tries to mimic the comic. that light and door opening just blew me away. that sort of thing always does. i'm still babbling about it!!!

Yes that was a great scene, it really captures the essence of the comic. You can see a cool pic of it here.

"The show ends with a dramatic door-opening that might as well have been to a spaceship (one of the few moments that remind you of the show’s comic-book origins).
At some point during almost every episode I’ve been reminded of Lost—the survivors, the others, the camp, the infighting—but never moreso than when we meet the lone CDC scientist in his bunker. Like Desmond pushing his button, Jenner has been on his own, trying to save the world
."
- Josh Jackson

SPOILER ALERT:
You can check out the 'Comics to TV comparison' for each episode here:
http://www.ugo.com/tv/the-walking-dead

Edited by ACE10, 30 November 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#34 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Comic Vine also has some nice comparison write-ups for the first four episodes and one for last week's episode.

#35 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

Sounds like Darabont shitcanned the entire writing staff in favor of having freelancers co-write new episodes with him. I kind of like the idea since it could keep the series fresh if it goes on for a number of seasons, but I didn't really think there was anything wrong with the writing as it was.

http://io9.com/57029...e-writing-staff

This Sunday Walking Dead will finish its first season on AMC. But showrunner Frank Darabont is already at work getting ready for the 13-episode second season by firing his entire writing staff. Could this mean trouble for Walking Dead?

Deadline is reporting a rumor that director, writer and Walking Dead producer Frank Darabont has let the entire writing staff go. And instead of hiring a new staff for the second season, Darabont is toying with the idea of assigning freelancers to each script. While assigning freelancers to TV scripts isn't anything new, canning the whole writing staff is pretty unusual, and we're still weighing out the pros and cons of this executive decision.

On one hand, Darabont penned the series pilot and the second episode solo, while co-writing and rewriting the remaining four episodes of Walking Dead's first season. Two of the four episodes that Darabont didn't write were created by "non-staffers" Glen Mazzara and original comic creator Robert Kirkman. So in reality, Darabont is already carrying the bulk of the writing work on his shoulders, so there may not be any need to blow the second season budget on an in-house writing staff.

That being said, the second season has a total of 13 episodes. That doubles the amount of time the production crew will have to spend under the boiling Atlanta sun filming the new episodes. Plus, whatever writer ends up tackling the new scripts, they're going to be under a very tight schedule. And if Darabont wants to stay as heavily involved as he has been throughout season one (and it sounds like he does) it's going to take double the effort to write, re-write, produce, shoot, and edit the new season. The burn out factor seems almost inevitable, even with the original comic book outline.

And while we're on the topic of the original, the TV series has already taken a massive deviation from the books. We're just five episodes in and already show is attempting to explain the chemical root of the zombie-making virus, whereas the comic focused solely on survival. The more wholly original material Walking Dead the TV show aims to produce, the more eyes we'd rather have on each new script. The writers' room is where a lot of these new story ideas would get hashed out if one exists. With no staff writers, there's no writers' room.

All of this has yet to be confirmed and is merely a rumor but we're hoping that Darabont goes ahead and hires a few actual staff writers, as opposed to freelancers, for season 2, for the betterment of Walking Dead.

#36 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

Torchwood was sort of written that way...with each episode by someone different.

Could work out well or it could become a bit disjointed and really have dialogue and situations really stand out as being different rather than this cohesive piece. You look at episode 4 and 5 and they were dramatically different and if I remember correctly different writers on those.

#37 JeffL

JeffL

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Last night was my least favorite episode thus far....it was paced very badly but I did enjoy some parts.

Agreed, the other episodes have been pretty fast paced. That episode felt like it barely moved. I cannot wait til the end!

#38 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

i guess that i am naive about my non-critical acceptance of anything they offer when it comes to cinematic versions of comics. i love it all. i've loved all the blockbuster adaptations of any comic that i've seen. i guess it's based in my partial ignorant state and simple AMAZEMENT and adoration for the attempts.

Oh I'm not one of those "THEY CHANGED STUFF SO IT'S BAD!!!" folks (not saying you were either)....I think the TV series has done an amazing job of mimicking the themes and nature of the comics amazingly well. Because really I've never gather that it's a "zombie" story...it's more a story about human dynamics and the will to survive. They didn't just make it hour long zombie mini movies...shit nobody was even bitten by a zombie till the fourth episode which I thought was great because there's long spans of the book which zombies aren't even in it.

I just worry about changes, not because they will be bad...although I am a bit skeptical about the CDC stuff because in the sneak peaks they elude to the nature of how it happened, which the Kirkman said he would never do in the book...but because there are story lines I am very excited to see happen and any deviation means they might not happen at all. But ultimately deviations do mean more surprises for people that know the book...new characters, settings and conflicts means I don't sit there going "oh this is going to happen next."

The one thing I hope and pray that happens is the storyline with the Governor and Michone...

#39 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

marathon starting NOW!!!!

#40 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

thanks linda i would a missed it! you are my zombie angel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users