967 replies to this topic

#1 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

Kinda amazed this wasn't already up here, but anyway.. This show is awesome, I just watched the first two episodes yesterday and WOW!!! Very good stuff here, not just the same old rehash of b-movies. Can't wait to go home and see last night's episode as well. Check it out if you dig zombie stuff, you'll love it!!

#2 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

yeah, much better than pretty much anything Romero has done since his original. Darabont's first ep. was really well put together--very cinematic in many ways.

#3 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

The suspense in that first episode was killer!!! I almost had trouble breathing, it was that good!!

Edited by sikntwzd, 15 November 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#4 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

The Walking Dead is an amazing black and white comic book written by Robert Kirkman. I highly suggest picking up the graphic novels. It will definitely enhance your enjoyment of the great new show.

#5 Dr. G

Dr. G

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

You know you are in for a great show when you shoot a kid in the chest in the first scene.

This is an amazing show. Been waiting years for them to do a zombie show.

#6 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

Loving this show myself. Usually watch it from my DVR. Will get around to seeing EP 3 this week sometime. Very well played Zombie series! Probably one of my favorite shows on TV at this point..

#7 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

For a city like Atlanta I'd expect more than 1 token black zombie, that was v dissapointing, i was looking forward to backwoods zombies and black zombies the most given GA as your starting point and the fact neither have really been done all too well, (the effects on this show are kinda iffy right now too come to mention it) otherwise, enjoying the show so far. Seems they're adding a lot of stuff in, but if they keep following the comics even somewhat loosely as they are now, it should pan out pretty awesome, crossing my fingers they bring in the governator this season. Havent seen last nights ep yet. Better than anything since Romero? Please, they lifted his hospital scene straight out of 28 days later without apology! And they never actually explained the outbreak, that on top of a bunch of really dry and painful "oh my wife doesn't understand me Im SO sensitive" dialogue made this show feel v-e-r-y stitched together, but I imagine thats what they're going for. One thing I caught that I really like is the physical balance with the zombies, since blood and noise attracts them they arent over the top super beasts or lamp posts.

Edited by Trent O, 15 November 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#8 Dr. G

Dr. G

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

I can handle derivative zombie stories (like the 28 Days Later reference you made) provided it's good. Seems like 90% of the zombie stuff I've seen in the last 20 years is all ripped off of somewhere.

On a completely unrelated note, The Last Man on Earth has become one of my favorite zombie movies. Price is delightful and over the top as always

#9 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,460 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

i never watch anything zombie or horror. the only thing that i've ever seen is 28 days. i loved that movie. i really like this series. i love that asian dude. i can't wait for the day he gets rescued. that is going to be awesome. 'cause you know it's gonna happen.

last week, i thought that his partner and wife might have been having an affair prior to his shooting but that was pretty much cleared up in last night's episode. i like his partner for some reason. granted he is a jerk but i like that sort of character that knows what has to be done and he does it. people like that are my heroes. you can't please all of the people all of the time but you sure do get what needs to be done accomplished.

i can't wait for the one-handed hillbilly to return. you know that he is gonna be something fucking crazy. he doesn't even need to be a zombie to be scary. ha!

edit. it strikes me as interesting that the two minor characters that do the needed work are my two favourites. they aren't centre stage and all preachy. they embrace their character and role with it. life ain't always do-the-right-thing-prettyboy-sheriff accommodating.

Edited by lindapoirier, 15 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#10 JeffL

JeffL

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

This show is amazing. I'm hooked!

i can't wait for the one-handed hillbilly to return. you know that he is gonna be something fucking crazy. he doesn't even need to be a zombie to be scary. ha!

Haha yeah. They left with four people to save him, i bet atleast one of them aren't coming back.

#11 skullfeast

skullfeast

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

that show is killer (no pun intended) the gore-level is through the roof, well written. I can't wait for the DVD of the show to come out. YUM!

#12 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Better than anything since Romero? Please, they lifted his hospital scene straight out of 28 days later without apology!

Do you really like Romero that much? I've watch all of his zombie films, mostly out of habit and a like of the genre, but the only really watchable ones are the first three, and even that third one is a little dicey to get through. And, yeah, the hospital convention pretty clearly came from 28 Days Later, but that film pretty clearly took it from Day of the Triffids. As with any genre, there's a certain amount of recycling in the form of homage (and, on the other end, of parody).

#13 the little ghost

the little ghost

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

Kinda amazed this wasn't already up here, but anyway.. This show is awesome, I just watched the first two episodes yesterday and WOW!!! Very good stuff here, not just the same old rehash of b-movies. Can't wait to go home and see last night's episode as well. Check it out if you dig zombie stuff, you'll love it!!

just watch last nights episode, little dissapointed with the cheesy family reunion, but it was still pretty good

#14 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

lovin' it!

#15 Flizzzipper

Flizzzipper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

I watched episode one, really liked it. Then I forgot about it the next week booo

#16 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

6 episodes is too short for this show. Can't wait for next year, 13 is a much better number.

#17 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

It's cool to see so many people enjoying this show. I've been reading the book since it came out in 2004. I again recommend picking up the books. If you like the show you will love the books. And if you enjoy the show now then get ready for a great ride cause you haven't seen anything yet!

#18 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

this show took me for surprise, I really like it, and its so rare that I actually have a show on TV that I watch. Did anyone watch last nights episode? I wanna talk about it but I dont know how to put that spoiler thingy up. anyways, i love Glenn, its cool that he knows the city so well because he was a pizza delivery boy, I thought he was a college kid or something like that, ah hasty generalizations.

#19 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

yea Ive been a fan of the comics since they've come out and I think they're handling the show quite well. One thing some coworkers complained about is that there's not much action. But it's not really an action story...it's drama first and then some action sprinkled in. The comics have always been much more about the human dynamic than anything else which I think the show has handled quite well.

I do think some of the actors suck....but I can see past that a bit. The intro also sucks, but that's hardly something real to complain about. Just thought they could have done something so much better than tracking text and treating footage.

One gripe I have thus far, and I dunno if this is going to pan out in this fashion but in the comic someone loses a hand, not the same guy as the TV show. And I really hope they haven't moved that to another character because that is one of my favorite things that has happened in the comic book.

Also, after these 6 episodes there will probably be no more until next October...which sucks dick.

#20 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

the atlanta setting is perfect. i can see zombie kevin with a toothpick. i think there is a perfect balance of dramaturgy and actionurgy. the last 5 minutes from last nights episode with the walkers attacking the campsite was wonderfully over the top. "oh now i remember what that dream was about." now amc's 'breaking bad' will give us the will to watch until next year's stumble chew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users