5426 replies to this topic

#1 fraserw2

fraserw2

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:01 AM

if anyone's interested in photography please post some of your pictures here. i just got a digital camera and i've never really been into taking pictures but i think i might begin taking pictures of stuff. they're not very good, but i thought i shouold probably add some pictures to start. the first two are from when i was in toronto on monday. the last one is the banjo style ukulele i have

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:12 AM

I took a photography class year and I scanned a couple of pictures. I wish I could post more, but my scanner is not working right now. Here you go. They are a little messed up because there was stuff in the fixer.

This is a picture of my cat that I took outside my window. One of the assignments was to get a reflection.
Posted Image

This photo is of a lake near my house. It's actually contaminated with sewage so I'm surprised that I actually got a reflection.
Lake Photo

fraserw2: I liked those Toronto pictures. They were really cool.

#3 fraserw2

fraserw2

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:23 AM

thanks. your photos are really good. i like those shadows the tree's making on the window. that little lake in the other one reminds me of these two little lake/pond things in a park near my house.

#4 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:05 AM

Sometime when I get a scanner I'll scan some. I've been into photography for 4 years or so. I just refuse to do actual photography with a digital camera. It takes the life out of it, plus it eliminates the entire darkroom element of it all. What's the point of taking the picture at all, when you can manipulate it so much through Photoshop? That sounds like an argument I've heard before...

#5 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:13 AM

I miss photography class. The teacher was fired so I can't take another one. My sister told me to just go ahead and take pictures and get them developed somewhere, but I refuse. The darkroom is my favorite part. Sure it smells, but it's a lot of fun. I did my assignments after school because I couldn't enjoy the darkroom during class. It always seemed so rushed and crowded. It would be very cool if the was a class somewhere in my community or maybe just a darkroom.

I'm not opposed to digital. I just prefer the SLR. The good thing with digital it that you get that instant gratification. Several seconds after you take the picture you can see how it turned out. It's just a different form of photography.

Edited by southern_dandy, 02 January 2004 - 04:15 AM.

#6 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:36 AM

I always consider the work of Ansel Adams when I think about digital photography. His art was half actual picture taking, and half darkroom work. It just sorta takes that fun out of it.

I wish darkroom equipment wasn't so expensive, otherwise I'd set up my own. Maybe the school would be generous enough to let me use the darkroom.

#7 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:45 AM

That's true. I also prefer using a manual camera, but digital can also be fun. You don't have to wait and worry about how the picture came out.
The darkroom is fun. I liked trying to figure out how to make the picture come out. Sometimes it took a while, but I still enjoyed it.

#8 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:48 AM

I don't even own an automatic camera. I just have 3 or 4 manual 35mm's. It makes me sad to think that they have to have a class to teach kids what f-stops and apertures are.

#9 '''''

'''''

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 03:58 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:06 PM

Ah, Peter. You always outshine us all with those beautiful photographs of yours.

#11 DevynRae

DevynRae

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

EDIT: wow, I sucked then

Edited by DevynRae, 20 August 2005 - 06:18 PM.

#12 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:07 PM

Any particular reasons why digital should die? Other than some celebrity influence?

#13 DevynRae

DevynRae

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

EDIT: cripes

Edited by DevynRae, 20 August 2005 - 06:19 PM.

#14 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:20 PM

Hmm... perhaps Mr. "we recorded this album without the use of any computers, all the equipment dates back to before 1960..."

Nevermind. I don't want to start a fight.

#15 DevynRae

DevynRae

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

EDIT: ugh,

Edited by DevynRae, 20 August 2005 - 06:19 PM.

#16 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

lafayetteblues: Those photos are absolutely beautiful.

Dylan_Stripes: I was a little confused why you said that it makes you sad that a class is necessary to teach kids about f-stops and apertures. If there are no classes then everyone will go to digital and forget about SLRs. I wouldn't have learned about it if I didn't take photography class. Or are you just disappointed that it's not being passed on?

#17 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:42 PM

I'm disappointed that its not being passed on. The photography classes at my school barely teach the basics, and they don't require you to have a manual camera. I learned about SLRs on my own, through experimentation, books, and my dad.

Oh, and JackWhite'sGirl, don't worry about it.

#18 Guest_janni_*

Guest_janni_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:44 PM

Peter, I love that first one. I don't walk those roads alone.

Due to lack of talent and/or my terrible perfectionism when it comes to my own art, I'm not gonna contribute with more than the winter-though-the-window collage in my signature.

#19 southern_dandy

southern_dandy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

My class was good, even though the teacher was scary. I guess I'm lucky. He required that everyone have a manual camera because he gave us the film and everyone had to develop their pictures.

Edited by southern_dandy, 02 January 2004 - 06:00 PM.

#20 Dylan_Stripes

Dylan_Stripes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:47 PM

We had to develop our pictures too, but my class was really just garbage. It was more worksheets and busy work than actual photo taking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users