7286 replies to this topic

#7261 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

I forget if I have asked this before but has anyone read Crime and Punishment? I tried reading it for English class senior year in high school and failed epically at reading it. I was thinking of trying it again. My teacher at the time had read it about five times and told me that once you actually understand everything going on, it's an amazing book.

#7262 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

I read it a long time ago.  have you read any other Dostoyevsky?  go for it!  there's nothing like the experience of a classic Russian novel.  

#7263 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

Nope. I've never read any other book of his. I definitely will try it again. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for two years collecting dust haha

#7264 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

^^ Curious what you think of that, Fran.  On The Road didn't resonate with me as much as I thought it would, so I've never made it around to Dharma Bums.

Actually think that I like it better than OTR.

The outdoors, spirituality, a little poetry sparring and just a glimpse of his struggle with alcoholism all told in his unique style. I love to time travel while reading as well. I'm smitten with history anymore and I think it's because I'm a little older (and hopefully wiser ;)) and I do remember when times were a lot simpler and there was no other way to "be connected" except by being face to face with people. And through his writing I remember what it was like to be hanging out day-in and day-out with a group of people and there was always one or two in the group that were intolerable at times, but you learned to deal with it and you learned how to be tolerant and kind with people. I think I hear that a lot in his writing and I identify with that so much.

#7265 gothic flavor

gothic flavor

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Nope. I've never read any other book of his. I definitely will try it again. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for two years collecting dust haha

The Idiot was the first book of his I read and I remember it made me laugh out loud at times, which not many books do. I think it was easier to get into than Crime and Punishment.

Right now I'm reading the first book of the "My Struggle" series by Karl Ove Knausgård. Highly personal autobiographical novels. I recommend to everyone https://en.wikipedia..._Ove_KnausgÃ¥rd

#7266 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

The Subterraneans

#7267 jack1111

jack1111

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

The Stand: Stephen King.

#7268 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

^^^^^^oooohhhh......isn't that book like a bazillion pages long? 700 +

#7269 jack1111

jack1111

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

Yeah sure is,I'm on page 320,getting there.
Read The Revenant before this and that was excellent. Better than the movie.

#7270 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

Will do Tam. I loved OTR, but it was really exhausting at times. Or should I say Dean exhausted me! :lol: And in addition to that his writing can become a bit manic and it's hard to go between those really high energy episodes to his depressive rants. I've got to really pay attention to what he's saying so he's not the easiest read for me.

Actually think that I like it better than OTR.

The outdoors, spirituality, a little poetry sparring and just a glimpse of his struggle with alcoholism all told in his unique style. I love to time travel while reading as well. I'm smitten with history anymore and I think it's because I'm a little older (and hopefully wiser ;)) and I do remember when times were a lot simpler and there was no other way to "be connected" except by being face to face with people. And through his writing I remember what it was like to be hanging out day-in and day-out with a group of people and there was always one or two in the group that were intolerable at times, but you learned to deal with it and you learned how to be tolerant and kind with people. I think I hear that a lot in his writing and I identify with that so much.

Y'know, you actually described very well a lot of my problem with On The Road. I wasn't able to pinpoint what it was that left me unsatisfied with it at the time, but I think you nailed, Fran.  But your description of Dharma Bums definitely sounds appealing, so I may have to give Kerouac another go.

I forget if I have asked this before but has anyone read Crime and Punishment? I tried reading it for English class senior year in high school and failed epically at reading it. I was thinking of trying it again. My teacher at the time had read it about five times and told me that once you actually understand everything going on, it's an amazing book.

OOooooooh, that's mah book.  I also had to read it my senior year in high school and it changed my life. First book that really, truly made me think.  The class discussions about Dostoevsky's religious motifs, existentialism, and the Nietzschean idea of man vs superman planted seeds of fascination that are still growing in my brain to this day.  But even better than C & P is The Brothers Karamazov.  I've read that one a handful of times and still pull it out every spring to read the conversation between Ivan and Alexei, in which Ivan talks about how even though he doesn't believe in God, he still "loves the sticky little buds when they burst forth in the spring". 

#7271 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

Y'know, you actually described very well a lot of my problem with On The Road. I wasn't able to pinpoint what it was that left me unsatisfied with it at the time, but I think you nailed, Fran.  But your description of Dharma Bums definitely sounds appealing, so I may have to give Kerouac another go.

OOooooooh, that's mah book.  I also had to read it my senior year in high school and it changed my life. First book that really, truly made me think.  The class discussions about Dostoevsky's religious motifs, existentialism, and the Nietzschean idea of man vs superman planted seeds of fascination that are still growing in my brain to this day.  But even better than C & P is The Brothers Karamazov.  I've read that one a handful of times and still pull it out every spring to read the conversation between Ivan and Alexei, in which Ivan talks about how even though he doesn't believe in God, he still "loves the sticky little buds when they burst forth in the spring". 

The Brothers Karamazov is    :wub: what great literature is all about.  

#7272 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

I just finished Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum.

#7273 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

51FRsPf4RDL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by billdore, 19 August 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#7274 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Read Girl On A Train in like a day. Trying to squeeze in The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. A recommendation from Anne Rice.

#7275 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

51FRsPf4RDL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What did you think?  

I'm currently reading Death's End, the third in the Three Body Problem series by Cixin Liu.  fantastic sf series.

#7276 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:07 PM

Bastard out of Carolina-Dorothy Allison.

It's tremendous

#7277 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Okay, so I never did finish the last two books that I began. Not sure what's going on here but I haven't turned a page in a very long time other to read a couple of books about Prince. I never followed his career. I remember a whole hell of a lot of his music that I really didn't know was his. I will listen to an album and recognize a song and think "hum, so that was Prince :huh:". Anyway, because his catalog is so extensive I read a book that took me from begin up to the 90's and then another that took me just through the 90's. They talked a lot about his recording style which I found to be pretty amazing. :ph34r: sorry, a little off topic.

Edited by kts1997, 19 March 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#7278 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

I've gotten a lot of reading done this year. What I've read (not including a book on copyediting):

-Arcadia by Lauren Groff (excellent--almost magical)

-Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson (lyrical and captures a very specific type of teenage girlhood that resonated with me)

-My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout (not as revelatory as Olive Kitteridge, but a solid outing from an author I admire)

-Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (this one didn't quite live up to the hype for me, but it was still beautiful and desperately sad for its truth)

-Flying Couch: A Graphic Memoir by Amy Kurzwell (meh. this was for class and there just wasn't much substance)

-Mothers, Tell Your Daughters by Bonnie Jo Campbell (a stunning collection of short stories by one of my favorite writers. she has a way of making you care about ugly, destestable people)

-The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich (perhaps a little uneven in retrospect, but the final chapter alone is worth the price of admission)

-Riverine by Angela Palm (this won one of the most prestigious awards in cnf and I do NOT think it was deserving at all. and my workshop agreed)

-Modern Lovers by Emma Straub (I decided to read her after seeing her at an event with Ann Patchett. Beyond seeming like just the type of person I'd want to have a glass of wine with, this was very funny and light, yet still decidedly "literary")

-The Kingdom of Ordinary Time by Marie Howe (I don't read a lot of poetry anymore and I always feel like I'm just missing whatever I'm writing. There were some poems in here I really enjoyed, though)

-Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (maybe one of the best books I've EVER read)

-Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett (I think she is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers)

Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

#7279 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

well, that was convenient.  i was wondering what to read and stumbled upon Kat's last post.  just put those last 2 on hold at the library.  

i recently finished reading Outline and Transit by Rachel Cusk.  both kinda brilliant, yet without much joy.  curious about the upcoming 3rd in the series.

also recently finished Commonwealth by Ann Patchett.  very good contemporary fiction - good characters and a good plot.  not fantastic, but very good.

Edited by stripes42, 21 April 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#7280 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

I just finished Exit West by Mohsin Hamid.  It was excellent, the best fiction I've read since Zadie Smith's Swing Time last fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users