terrific!

#16022 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

It still only has one negative review on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's just from Resident Troll Critic Armond White.  A friend wants to check out Logan on Tuesday, and I might stick around at the theater afterwards to see Get Out.

#16023 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm looking forward to your review of Logan.

#16024 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

I watched Frailty on Netflix this weekend (RIP Bill Paxton).  What a messed up movie!  The movie was made in 2002, not sure how I went all these years w/out seeing/hearing of this.

#16025 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

I watched Kong: Skull Island yesterday. It was good, not great. The humans were better than those in 2014 Godzilla, but not by some extraordinary margin. The monster design was a little bit weaker, though. At first I liked the Skullcrawlers, but by the end of movie I wanted to see something a little more interesting. Plus, Kong is always better when he fights dinosaurs, as is any movie ever. Can you imagine Rocky if at the end he had to face off with a velociraptor? Yeah, I just ruined your life because it doesn't have that in it. I liked Peter Jackson's King Kong better, despite the great editor shortage of 2005 which clearly existed. Kong the character was simply more captivating, and its heightened 1930's setting had a bit more magic in it. Not that the Vietnam-era setting used here wasn't creative or well served. The temporal setting was one of the highlights of Skull Island. Now I really want to watch the original King Kong again. I think I was just out of high school when I watched it before, and I would love to revisit it.

Later that night, I think I watched what could truly be described as the opposite: "Lagaan: Once a Time in India". It's a Bollywood movie from 2001 telling a completely fictional story of how an Indian village in 1890ish first learned of cricket, and used it to win a game against the oppressively-assholeish Brittish governor, and win a bet freeing them from 3 years worth of tax. It was very good, and quite refreshing to see a movie completely removed from the Hollywood system which clearly operates with its own cinematic language and expectations. And yeah, Bollywood songs are freaking ear-wormy. Throw in my friend's homemade chicken curry, and it was a damn good night.

Edited by imbenurnot, 19 March 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#16026 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I watched Frailty on Netflix this weekend (RIP Bill Paxton).  What a messed up movie!  The movie was made in 2002, not sure how I went all these years w/out seeing/hearing of this.

OMG, I've been talking about/pitching this movie to people since it was released! One of my favorite underrated horror movies ever, I watch it all the time. 

#16027 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:51 AM

Tam, I found Logan to be generally compelling (the actors, young and old, are good), though perhaps featuring a bit too much manly grunting and relatively empty carnage.  I'm not sure that it's as layered, dramatically, as it seems to think it is, either.  Most of the story points (for the entire film) were plainly apparent early in the first act, feeling more or less inevitable, and it leans far more heavily on physical trauma to the protagonist than emotional insight.  It's a decent-enough sendoff for Jackman, but not one of my personal favourites in the genre: not enough emotional, thematic, or tonal range. 

#16028 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

I think the excessive physical trauma is necessary to a degree to emphasize the fact that he's lost his healing abilities. This is a character who used to be able to practically shrug off a gunshot or blade to the gut, but now he can't and that's an important element to convey.  Did they go overboard in doing so?  That depends on the viewer.  I felt they went a bit overboard in showing the damage he and the girl inflicted, a lot of that could have been off-camera and I think it would have been just as effective.  

So what is your favorite in the genre?  

#16029 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

They certainly conveyed that element...over and over and over again.  It got the job done, but it's just not something I'd be all that keen on revisiting.

Honestly, it's not really fair to play it against the superhero genre anyways, because it's more of a violent action-Western.  But if you want to talk superhero or comic book movies with replay value:  The Dark Knight, The Incredibles, the first Avengers, maybe Spider-Man 2.  Mad Max: Fury Road is pretty comic-booky in nature as well, though not based on one.  Most of those have a lighter tone, but a wider range of expression.  I'm probably forgetting some less mainstream stuff.  Logan didn't really do it for me that much visually, either.  Pretty murky, not too many memorable compositions.  And a pretty forgettable scientist villain.  But like I said, generally fine in terms of performance and basic narrative.

Now, if we consider TV in the mix, Noah Hawley's series Legion is far and away the best X-Men/Marvel production.  Unbelievably weird, creative, and dynamic.  Best new series this year. 

Edited by J.C., 23 March 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#16030 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Is Legion by any chance on Netflix?

Oh, and speaking of Fury Road, one of local indie theaters is showing the Chrome version next month. I'm so excited to go see it!

#16031 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

I don't think Legion is on Netflix yet, as it hasn't quite completed its first season (which is only eight episodes long):  the finale is this upcoming Wednesday.  It's pretty wild, though.  Prominent TV critic Alan Sepinwall considered the fourth episode this year the weirdest TV he'd seen since Twin Peaks.  I would argue that last night's episode ("Chapter 7") may have been even weirder...but so very enjoyable.  Even when they do an exposition dump (as they did a couple of times last night), they do it in a visually creative way.

Re:  Fury Road, sounds cool.  I'll have to settle for switching my TV to black-and-white the next time I watch it. ;)

#16032 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

What did you think of the Legion finale? Because I thought the whole season was compelling, well done, captivating...I watch each episode a couple of times, too. Also, I'm not one who ever gets scared at scary movies or shows, but this series has had some genuinely terrifying imagery, at least I think so, that actually gave me chills. It's my favorite new show. 

#16033 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, it's my favourite new show as well.  I won't get into spoiler-territory, but I thought it was a solid finale.  Certainly a bit more conventional in nature than the previous episode (how could it not be?), but it wrapped up the season's central story nicely, while creating many interesting avenues to explore for next year (which will be ten episodes, and filmed in California, rather than Vancouver).  Now we get Season 3 of Fargo in a few weeks.  Noah Hawley is the man!

#16034 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Noah Hawley is indeed the man. Did you see that he's still planning to do the Cat's Cradle adaptation for FX as well? He mentioned it on Kimmel the other night. I know it was talked about a few years back but I guess it's still happening. Also, I am beyond stoked for Fargo. Like....I can't wait. Best shows. 

#16035 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Ewan McGregor (in two roles), Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Carrie Coon?  I'm in.  It looks even more "Coeny" than the first two seasons.

#16036 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Yessss. Carrie Coon in the Leftovers is  :wub:  so I'm stoked. I can't wait!

#16037 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

spotlight. 3/5 stars. good story and great performances.

#16038 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Guardians of the galaxy 2… It had some pretty good humor in it.

#16039 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:22 AM

I wasn't all that taken with the first one (liked the cast, but didn't find the material they were given to be very sharp), yet I feel strangely compelled to check out the sequel.

#16040 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

I wasn't blown away by the first one either.  The second one I defintely liked better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users