225 replies to this topic

#21 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

no alternate mixes! or remixes! Alternate versions or alternate take take takes that are more than slightly different or include Meg and Jack studio chatter, absolutely.

now if yer referring to cleaning up the LP sound that the fortunate ones who own it are referring to, I think that's a given.

#22 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

There will be no Vault 23. So there. :mellow:

#23 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

Norah Jones will sing Passive Manipulation. ;)

#24 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hey, I might like that.

#25 itrainmonkeys

itrainmonkeys

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'd go with a spread of Jack's different bands for the new year.

- 7" of new Dead Weather

- DVD of a Raconteurs show (or if no DVD available do another USB drive with audio of a live show or two with some photos or something)

- LP of White Stripes......not sure what though. I have plenty of live shows. Maybe a B-sides collection or something along those lines.

Or have Jack do a solo album of covers and jamming out.

Edited by itrainmonkeys, 31 December 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#26 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

(or if no DVD available do another USB drive with audio of a live show or two with some photos or something)

If anyone from TMR is lurking about and reading this stuff, I gotta say that I really like the usb idea.  The little Playdoh tv one in Vault 22 is freakin' adorable and very useful. Depending on the time and cost involved in them, this could turn out to be a terrific extra component option.  Sooooo many different kinds of content could be loaded onto them.  Or, heck, even an empty one with a nifty shape, like one of Jack's guitars or something.

#27 itrainmonkeys

itrainmonkeys

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Yea, I was trying to think of what else they could do. I know they've done shirts, flags, and posters in the past but I prefer the music material more. Another USB drive would be relatively easy to do and also not kill them on shipping. Photos and show recordings plus a couple of videos could be great. I imagine they'd be concerned about people leaking that to the internet and ruining the limited to the vault thing.

#28 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, I thought of that, too, but people rip the records and leak those onto the internet now.  Having files on a USB would make it easier, but it's not like it's not happening already.  It's probably time-consuming to load the content onto that many drives, but I would think they could find a source for doing that. If they felt this was a component they wanted to go forward with.

#29 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

OMG YES!!!

They are releasing this!

http://thirdmanstore...ault-package-23

ResizedImage600480-Vault23-webmockup-Ret

As 2015 marks ten years since the release of the White Stripes’ Get Behind Me Satan album and tour, Third Man Records is proud to use that as the focus of its 23rd Vault package. Completely dedicated to the White Stripes and highlighting their time in South America in 2005, this release should leave fans beyond satisfied.

Anchoring the box is the double LP Under Amazonian Lights recorded live in Manaus, Brazil on June 1st, 2005. Described by the local press as “deliciously irresponsible” and the first rock concert ever at the grand Teatro Amazonas Opera House, the performance that night was nothing short of amazing. Featuring a sublime cover of Bob Dylan’s “Lovesick Blues”, two versions (one electric, one acoustic) of “The Same Boy You’ve Always Known”, two versions of “Passive Manipulation” (both sublime) a snippet of Howlin Wolf’s “I Asked For Water” and ample marimba on “The Nurse” and what you have is one of the most iconic and memorable shows the White Stripes ever played. Both LPs will be pressed on blood red vinyl with stark black wisps.

So it should come as no surprise that we’d pair this LP with DVD footage from that performance. Words do not ably describe the beauty of the Teatro Amazonas nor the furor riled up by the White Stripes appearance. Not only was there fear that the amplification of the band would cause the plaster in the building to crack and possible fall and injure attendees, but out of custom/fear/lord-knows-what the crowd remained seated until being explicitly asked to stand from the stage by Jack White himself. If that wasn’t enough, during the show Jack and Meg ventured outside the venue to play an entirely unamplified version of “We Are Going to Be Friends” for the assembled multitude of fans unable to purchase tickets and watching the performance via closed-circuit feed. The resultant melee was arguably a riot and was lovingly captured by the film crew documenting that evening’s importance. All together what it makes is one of the best true rock and roll moments of the past decade. Heck, Jack White even got married that day.

The accompanying 7” single is a perfect example of the material the Vault was explicitly created to release. “Let You Down” is a solo recording done by Jack White roundabout the year 2000. Featuring both electric guitar and electric bass, the true meat here is the multi-tracked four-part harmony voiced by White throughout the song. The entirety of lyrics here “No I’m never, no I’m never, no I’m never gonna let you down now” would be repurposed into the White Stripes 2005 recording “The Nurse” and the overall germination illustrated here is devilishly insightful. The b-side “Ain’t No Sweeter Than Rita Blues” is a quintessential White Stripes guitar/drums outtake instrumental that was recorded during the tracking of Get Behind Me Satan and subsequently unused and forgotten for the past ten years. Dare we say it’s everything you hope it would be, pressed on wonderful white vinyl and ready for your love.

If that was not enough (and really, it should be) Third Man has decided to throw caution to the wind and absolutely overload this package with more extras than any sane record label would ever consider. We’ve poked the Grammy Award-winning designer Rob Jones to put together a collection of newly designed postcards celebrating the White Stripes performances in Brazil in 2005. In one word…stunning. Rob was gracious enough to throw in a badass death head monkey design that was so tasty we had to turn it into substantive enamel pin. A silk-screened White Stripes poster with some super-secret hidden glow in the dark graphics was a no-brainer. If you’re wondering where you’ll keep this vast assortment of sundries, worry you no longer…a soft touch, telescoping box with the same devilish death head monkey graphic on the cover will become a new member in Vault households worldwide. Join the family now.

LP tracklisting:

Blue Orchid
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Black Math
Love Sick (Bob Dylan)
My Doorbell
Passive Manipulation 
Hotel Yorba
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known (electric)
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known (acoustic)
Little Ghost
When I Hear My Name
I Asked For Water (Howlin Wolf)
Fell in Love With a Girl
The Nurse
Little Bird
Death Letter (Son House)
St. James Infirmary (traditional)
Screwdriver
Passive Manipulation (reprise)
I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself
(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time (Albert Von Tilzer/Neville Fleeson)
I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself (continued)
Seven Nation Army

Edited by Ak1nney, 06 January 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#30 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

Oooh I recall the first and only time I saw the stripes live. It was on this tour. Santiago de Chile, May 24th 2005.

#31 FernandoDANTE

FernandoDANTE

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

My god, that's amazing. First and only time I saw the Stripes too, in São Paulo. Wonderful setlist. Candy Cane Girl.

Anyway, another exclusive DVD that will never be available after the deadline is over. Not a fan of how they continue to sell their products like this, but I might have to actually pay the 200 bucks to get this DVD.

Now, is the DVD the FULL performance, or the incomplete thing that was broadcast on MTV and has been floating around for almost a decade? Because if it's not the full thing, fuck that.

http://youtu.be/7xQNEj-PHUE

#32 mrthompson

mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

I might have to rejoin Vault.

#33 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

So I wonder if the actual album Get Behind Me Satan will be released on vinyl at some point this year.

#34 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

I really hope it's the full thing. At least the LP is 99% full. Definitely my favorite package in a long time.

#35 itrainmonkeys

itrainmonkeys

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Great package IMO. I love this time for the band and love a lot of these tunes. The fact that it's LP + 7" single + DVD and then the other goodies really makes it worth it IMO. The fact that they are using the soft touch box to package it in again (like the Jack White Bonnaroo package and the 7" White Stripes package) just adds another special layer to it all. Definitely going to get this.

#36 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

Excellent. 6 (?) years in, and I really don't think I'll be able to resist getting this one. Been waiting for  GBMS package, now we just need the actual album to get a vinyl release.

#37 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

I've never purchased one of these before - how much would it cost me just for this one?  (yeah, i'm being lazy)

#38 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

ye gods.

#39 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

Wow.

#40 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

I understand that there are people that have a limit to the number of live WS albums they want.  I am not one of those people.  My Vault membership exists primarily to get WS live albums.  So color me happy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users