mrthompson

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Cool stuff abounds in this thread.

Jimmy-Page-jimmy-page-10396827-374-416.j

Edited by mrthompson, 30 October 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#42 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

It sounds incredible, Tam. Hats off to everyone who helped put this thing together - all 2 1/2 pages of them!! 

Edited by goodmorningspider, 30 October 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#43 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I feel sad that I'm the only person here who has one... so far. I hope some more folks in the LR are able to get one.  If not, y'all have a standing invitation to come play with mine in MD.  Not all of you at once, of course.

#44 Nutteronabus

Nutteronabus

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

So, what's actually on the records? Am I right in thinking that there isn't a full tracklisting out there, or have I completely missed it?

#45 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

I haven't seen it listed on-line anywhere.  It's actually not even on the record labels-- Those are beautiful metal foil stamped with Paramount logos and the album catalog numbers.  The only place it seems to exist at this point is in the field manual. 

Speaking of which, I was in the store again yesterday and Dani, the shop manager, told me that they're hand-constructing the sets right there in the warehouse at Third Man, right down to applying the labels to the records.

#46 Diana

Diana

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hello,  I just received mine at work today.  Can't wait to get home and unpack this baby!  Thanks to Kali Durga for wetting my....appetite :)

#47 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Haha, you're welcome  ;)  I hope you come back and post your impressions, I'm really eager to know how other people react to it.

#48 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

just now on npr...

http://www.npr.org/b...ues?ft=1&f=1106

#49 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Why has no one ever dredged the Milwaukee River for those records?  I mean, aside from the fact that they've probably disintegrated by now...

#50 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

they have!  my father told me about the paramount story when i was a kid.  he did some intern work for the library of congress and knew what a treasure  trove of american music that was miraculously conjured by paramount.    pbs did a detective story series a few years ago that featured paramount records in one episode and the river incident.  they had a team of divers and dredgers who searched the river and came up with nothing.  rivers that flow downstream and flood are a poor place to store records.  i have a few paramount 78's mostly dance "fox trotty" inanities- but i love that label!

#51 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Ah, very true. Both sad and amazing to think those rekkids could be buried in a sandbank somewhere in the middle of the US, or some could even have made it out into the wide open sea. 

#52 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

boats of all kind turn up under farmlands around here.  they sink in the river, the river changes course and they end up miles and centuries later in a cornfield.  like this one...

http://www.freerepub...ws/799218/posts

too bad the arabia didn't have those paramount records onboard.  

Edited by sunhouse, 02 November 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#53 angelweb

angelweb

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

http://www.airshowma...ount-records-2/

#54 angelweb

angelweb

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Anyone that already got it can you possibly comment on the sound quality and the selection of songs that was put on the LPs?

This is what matters to me most before i decide to get it.
Are they mostly bluesy, mostly jazzy, or else? Have you yet discovered any real "diamonds" through the tracks?

#55 angelweb

angelweb

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

And mostly what is the "replay" value you see i this collection? Is it couple of plays and then "store" or you think you will listen to it alot?

#56 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the link up there, very interesting.

There are 800 songs, gonna take a while for anyone who's got the set to really become familiar with the gamut of genres and all of the 172 artists that are included.  So far I've mostly listened to "Paramount Radio", which just runs randomly through the full collection of songs.  Mastering quality is good, as far as I'm concerned.  There's a lot of that crackly scratchiness that you'd expect from recordings of old 78s, but the music and vocals seem very clear.  A few artists have jumped out at me so far, but I need to go through the bios in the Field Manual and tag the pages of those musicians.  Now that I'm home from Nashville, I plan to spend some serious time in the next few days going through the whole thing more thoroughly and can give some more specifics then. After that, I'm probably going to start picking out favorite tracks to move off of the Jobber-Luxe onto another flash drive for listening in my car.  And I can easily imagine pulling out the records to listen to while I'm doing stuff at home in the evenings, I currently do that with the Document reissues so having these expands that repertoire. 

#57 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

this is really stunning and a bit overwhelming. I hope anyone who gets one of these has ample time to savor it.

#58 angelweb

angelweb

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Kali, thanks alot for your reply and input, I wil be waiting for more comments as you go through this collection. What matters for me the most is the 100 tracks they have selected for the vinyl LPs, as I assume that the 800-song mp3 collection will not take long time before it leaks in torrent sites.

#59 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

http://www.nypl.org/...d-daphne-brooks

#60 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,843 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Elnora Johnson, Sam Collins, Sweet Papa Stovepipe, and The Hotentots...  Handful of new favorites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users