macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

THIRD MAN LIVE
February 02 2010

Third Man Records is proud to announce an innovative and new twist to the live music experience. On February 4th we will launch Third Man Live, an ongoing series of all-ages, live concerts that are performed, recorded and sold on exclusive vinyl right here at Third Man Records as well as being made available via pay-per-view from the Third Man Vault website.

Beginning with the live performance from the Dex Romweber Duo on Thursday, Feb. 4th, concerts in our Third Man venue will be recorded direct to 8-track analog reel-to-reel tape for the purpose of producing a live album. Our stage will be one of the only venues in the world (the only?) to offer the chance for acts to play live in front of a crowd and record to analog tape, let alone for that concert to be available on vinyl within weeks!

The analog recording booth was personally designed by Jack White and also contains turntables for guest DJ's to spin records before and after performances. Teenagers who cannot attend 21-and-over concerts by touring bands coming through Nashville will now have an opportunity to see some of those acts earlier in the day and many times for free!

Attendees to the shows will have the opportunity to purchase a limited-edition, split-colored vinyl LP of the concert; half-black, half-blue, hereby to be referred to as our Black & Blue records. Three-hundred copies of this version will be pressed and will only be made available to those in attendance. Black vinyl pressings of the live album will be available in the Third Man shop thereafter. Neither version of the record will be distributed to other retailers or be made available online. Further details on how to purchase your record will be revealed at the concert.

For those unable to attend in person, concerts will often be filmed and available as a pay-per-view concert through our online subscription service, The Vault. The night of the concert we will stream one song from the concert itself for free and the entire concert will be available as a pay-per-view download at a later date. Details and instructions will be posted on The Vault near
the time of the show.

1. Third Man Live launches February 4th with a free, all-ages show from the Dex Romweber Duo

2. An exclusive Black & Blue LP of each show will be available only to concert attendees. Black & Blues will cost $20. Fans will be notified via our the Third Man website when these LP's are available to pick up from our store.

3. Standard black vinyl copies of each live show will be available for sale at Third Man Records only. These LPs will cost $12.

4. Concerts will be filmed on a multi-camera format and available as a pay-per-view via the Third Man Records Vault. The Dex Romweber Duo pay-per-view is being offered at an introductory rate of $3. As a bonus to fans of the acts coming through, pay-per-view concerts will be open to everyone and not just Vault members. Some shows may be time-delayed in order to accommodate high viewer traffic.

We are very excited about beginning this new venture and look forward
to seeing you all here at Third Man very soon.

Third Man Records offices, shop and venue are located at
623 7th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37203

btw, mods, if it's not cool to post this stuff, please pull it down!

#2 emm76

emm76

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

so exciting! ken and i were just talking about how cool it would be if the show was recorded!
what time are people lining up, do you think? we can't get into town until around 3.

#3 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

I'm glad they are making use of this Vault now. Now... just hope to see music I want to see lol.

#4 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

so exciting! ken and i were just talking about how cool it would be if the show was recorded!
what time are people lining up, do you think? we can't get into town until around 3.

Recorded and yeah I guess you can watch it online but if you want the vinyl you have to be one of those people who live in Nashville or can travel there.

The Third Man Elite.

I know I'm probably going to take some flak for this, but come on Jack, I want to give you my money. Why are there all these exclusives that certain fans get just because of their geographic location. Isn't it enough that they get to go to the show themselves? Since you're producing the vinyl anyway why not make a few more and sell them online to your fans all over the world?

I know Jack is trying to create a product that is special and build this community and I love that. This whole venture is fantastic and I'm thrilled to be following it and giving it a bunch of my money, but I just don't like how some things are focused on Nashville only when they don't mean to be.

It favours Nashville fans by geographic location, it favours rich people who can take the time and money to travel to Nashville and it favours rich people who can afford to buy copies that are bought and flipped on eBay.

So if you're far away and don't have a lot of money you're out of luck on these vinyl releases.

Too bad, I'd love to buy one.

#5 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

You will be able to buy the vinyl. It will just be black instead of black and blue. No HUGE deal if you're in it for the music.

#6 midwesterner

midwesterner

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

This is such an awesome Idea. I can't wait to hear the recording that come out of it. Wish I lived closer so i could make one of these shows. If anyone wants to get me a Dex live album PM. I have stuff to trade.

Edited by midwesterner, 02 February 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#7 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

You will be able to buy the vinyl. It will just be black instead of black and blue. No HUGE deal if you're in it for the music.

As far as I can tell that is not the case. It says:

"Black vinyl pressings of the live album will be available in the Third Man shop thereafter. Neither version of the record will be distributed to other retailers or be made available online."

So, yeah, that's sad to me.

#8 WanderingStranger

WanderingStranger

Asked To Be Deleted

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

The vinyl is a memento of the show you experienced. It's the like pop-up stores. The exclusive merch there were for the people that got to go.

I think this is very exciting and hope to have the chance to attend one of these shows eventually.

#9 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

You're right, I stand corrected. Well... I hope The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, or The White Stripes don't play a show there, cause then a ton of people won't be able to get the live record. Boo. I guess it's neat for the in person experience, but yeah... At least we'll be able to download these shows for around $3 tho right? (video I'm assuming or maybe both.)

#10 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

You're right, I stand corrected. Well... I hope The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, or The White Stripes don't play a show there, cause then a ton of people won't be able to get the live record. Boo. I guess it's neat for the in person experience, but yeah... At least we'll be able to download these shows for around $3 tho right? (video I'm assuming or maybe both.)

Not download. Pay per view. So it sounds like you get to watch it once online and not keep a copy.

That's cool, but it would be even cooler if we could buy and download a copy and buy a vinyl without being part of the Nashville/rich Elite.

It's a memento yeah, but I'm sure these people at the shows will remember their time fondly or not and wont value their memento and experience left if people elsewhere can also buy the vinyl. Since when does a memento have to be scarce?

#11 noman

noman

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

^^There's still a chance they'll be available in a Third Man pop up store near you, but it is a rather slim chance :(

I'm hoping it's not $3 to stream it as opposed to downloading. Streaming videos look like crap on my outdated computer. I seem to recall the Dead Weather's Third Man concert referred to as pay-per-view and yet it was a download.

Edited by noman, 02 February 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#12 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

As far as I can tell that is not the case. It says:

"Black vinyl pressings of the live album will be available in the Third Man shop thereafter. Neither version of the record will be distributed to other retailers or be made available online."

So, yeah, that's sad to me.

seriously man. I only live like four hours away, and the price is great for a regular one as I knwo I won't be making it to many of the shows to get a black and blue - but at like 12 bucks a record (awesome by the way Jack) and the cost of a day to go up there, pay for gas simply for the purpose of a record is going to cost me like 40 or 50 bucks. Maybe we can get someone who lives in Nashville to get copies to hook up LRers who can't get copies from TMR or afford the flipped ones on E-Bay, I know I'll be heading down there for a few of these (probably even the black version of this Dex show) and I know I'll be doing that when I go down provided I can get an extra copy, by the way did I miss how limited (or are they limited) the regular black vinyl available form TMR is going to be?
PS: Kept telling everyone I felt like this Dex was going to be the first pay-per-view, good way to recoup money from a free performance. Oh and one last question, they say pay-per-view download, does this mean an actual download or just streaming like the previous stuff from the Vault?

#13 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,238 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

Not download. Pay per view. So it sounds like you get to watch it once online and not keep a copy.

the entire concert will be available as a pay-per-view download at a later date. Details and instructions will be posted on The Vault near the time of the show.

i hope that means it's a keeper.

And as expected, anyone planning to go and not buy a black and blue vinyl, or bringing someone who can buy an extra, I would love one if it would be conveniently possible for you to get me one, without taking away from your enjoyment of this special event. PM me and we can work it out.

And for anyone who can make it, have a ripping good time, sounds like it will be a blast! :D

#14 Donnnieeee

Donnnieeee

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'm kinda disappointed that the live LPs will only be available in store, but I'd only really want one if it was a band I like... and not many of the non-Jack TMR acts are to my liking yet.

#15 WanderingStranger

WanderingStranger

Asked To Be Deleted

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

I know I'll be heading down there for a few of these (probably even the black version of this Dex show) and I know I'll be doing that when I go down provided I can get an extra copy, by the way did I miss how limited (or are they limited) the regular black vinyl available form TMR is going to be?

vault says:

Black vinyl pressings of the live album will be available in the Third Man shop thereafter.

:) So sounds to be not limited at all.

Hell, I'd be happy to get a regular black one.

#16 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

Oh I'd be happy with one to, but I don't want to make a special trip and then them not be in stock. Glad they aren't limiting the numbers, at least from what we can tell so far, means I can go and grab some copies fro people who would other side be getting raped up on E-Bay hopefully, still a special fucking trip? Seriously? They couldn't just offer even pre-orders for people who don't even live in the US who are Platinum members? I get the idea, it's an amazing one - woudl just like to see less p[people feel excluded more than anythign I think.

#17 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Oh I'd be happy with one to, but I don't want to make a special trip and then them not be in stock. Glad they aren't limiting the numbers, at least from what we can tell so far, means I can go and grab some copies fro people who would other side be getting raped up on E-Bay hopefully, still a special fucking trip? Seriously? They couldn't just offer even pre-orders for people who don't even live in the US who are Platinum members? I get the idea, it's an amazing one - woudl just like to see less p[people feel excluded more than anythign I think.

Exactly! Why exclude people when there's already an exclusive for the people there - the blue vinyl.

#18 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Exactly! Why exclude people when there's already an exclusive for the people there - the blue vinyl.

that's exactly what I'm fucking saying man! I mean come on! You can't give people like Ka over in Brazil a chance to cop one of the regular vinyls even? She's one of the biggest Jack White fans I've ever met and also happens to love the hell out of Dex Romweber, seems like BS to me that as a paying platinum Vault member she will have basically zero chance of getting these anywhere but E-Bay robber barons. I live hours and hours away, kid of sucks for me because it's a major pain in the ass for a single record but at least I can go if I suck it up and spend an entire day, or depending on the traffic two. <_<

#19 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

I'm excited for the Vault live, sounds like a good thing. But I don't get why they will not sell the black vinyl records online. It's just a little bit unfair for all the other fans who can't get easily to Nashville. And they already have the exclusive black/blue records. So what's the point?

#20 adub314

adub314

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

If given the money (with a tip) ahead of time, would any Nasheville folk like to purchase and mail one to me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users