668 replies to this topic

#21 Vacated

Vacated

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

Cold Wind wasn't spectacular but I thought it worked for it's intended purpose on Six Feet under.

#22 dac545

dac545

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Cold Wind wasn't spectacular but I thought it worked for it's intended purpose on Six Feet under.

yeah since i don't watch the show maybe that's why i didn't like it..

i have to say i like the live version of Intervention a bit better.. a little more personal sounding but there's nothing bad about the new version

dean II

#23 Kaymaster

Kaymaster

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:08 AM

A new song was accidently leaked yesterday by Merge. It's called "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations":
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7hhwhb

I like this song a lot more than "Intervention", especially the second half. It oozes of reverb. I can't wait to hear it in the context of the whole album. It definitely reminds me of being by the sea, as Win has said. Very soundscape-ish.

Edited by Kaymaster, 27 December 2006 - 03:09 AM.

#24 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

I still remember buying Funeral...I'd never heard any tracks, just bought it on the strength of the reviews, got it home and played the first track on my headphones...

THAT was a big moment.

#25 wormgirl

wormgirl

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

amazing amazing band, tried to get tix for the london shows, at 9:01 they'd sold out at ticketmaster...

so so excited about the new record.

#26 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

I like Intervention more than Black Wave/Bad Vibrations. I like the vibe of the album but I'm mainly excited about the church organ-based stuff...it just sounds so different from what anyone else is doing these days...and it suits them, it's sincere and it works well. I'd still kill to see them in London.

#27 aspiration

aspiration

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

I really like the "awwwwww HEY (hey hey hey hey)" part of Cold Wind, because it comes out of nowhere and feels like being punched in the head by a ghost. I could take or leave the rest of that song, I think.
I am wrestling with myself over whether to download Black Wave/Bad Vibrations because I just really got into Intervention and don't want to spoil myself. It took me a little while to get Intervention . . . I'd heard the live version and hadn't loved it, but after a few days of listening to it on all sorts of different sound systems it just kind of clicked (and on awful computer speakers, too, so it must be the song that's good and not the quality). The organ is pretty badass, and the lyrics are good too . . . not Neighborhood good, but there's a lot in them. I've been singing (Hallelujah with the fear in my heart . . . ) all day.

#28 Mae Rickman

Mae Rickman

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

YEAH TOAST!

I do love me some Arcade Fire of an evening.

#29 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

when exactly is the new album scheduled for release?

#30 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Late March/Early April according to the Neon Bible wikipedia page. But my guess would be possibly even slightly sooner what with when the touring's scheduled.

#31 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

New York - Five Shows:
http://www.arcadefir...new-york-city-3

In other news I will be queuing each night outside each London venue on the promise of limited number of held tickets.

Ahh.. Woop! :unsure:

#32 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

in the early days of the european aeroplane chicken league the voyeurs toyed with the idea of international flights to the savage colonies but the thought of acadian muzak and pea soup discouraged their test group.

#33 A Strange Loop

A Strange Loop

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

If you go to the Win's Diary section of the official website you can hear the new song "Black Mirror".

If you ignore the cringworthy line, "Mirror mirror on the wall, show me where the bombs will fall." the song is great.

#34 Kaymaster

Kaymaster

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

Wow, 'Black Mirror' is the best song yet. 1:15 or so into the song is orgasmic.

I think this album is going to be a lot more contextual than Funeral. The songs on Funeral can hold up on their own, but I think Neon Bible is going to play out more as a concept album.

Edited by Kaymaster, 06 January 2007 - 07:23 PM.

#35 redandblack

redandblack

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

i didn't much care for intervention, but black mirror is about as good as anything on funeral.

#36 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

NO CARS GO.

Seems to suggest early March as a release date? Oh, how I love the way this album is being drip-feed by the band to us!

OH! Win wrote a letter to the NME:

Dear New Musical Express,

How are you? It is almost Christmas time. It is hard to belive it has been almost a year since we started recording demos for our new record.
Regine found a listing for this small church for sale on the outskirts on Montreal and we fell in love with the place. We hadn’t been planning on building a studio, (we were actually thinking about recording in New Orleans if you can believe it?) but we suddenly saw our futureselves recording and mixing and mowing the lawn (which I guess was a vision of now, or maybe our next record, it is hard to tell).
How are the kids in England? What kind of music do they listen to these days? It must be a lot a pressure to come up with a new magazine every week, we only have to make record every couple of years.
Our new record was mostly recorded in our studio and a few other churches around town. We found a pipe organ that made some of us cry. Richard finally found a celeste and discovered a million sounds you can make on guitar that sound like women screaming, or planes crashing into buildings. Regine bought a medieval instrument called a hurdy-gurdy and Tim and Will used bass steel drums and Taurus pedals, as well as plugging basses through tiny guitar amps.
Jeremy played drums like a madman (and the best piano line on the record) and Sarah and Owen made two violins sound like an orchestra or a breaking mirror (though we did cheat by having a real orchestra and a military choir from Budapest play on a few songs).
We decided to produce the album ourselves. W(T?)hen we did some research on the internet and discovered that what we have always done (dreaming about sounds and trying to make them into reality), technically qualifies as producing…though we did have two excellent engineers to help us; Scott Colburn (who recorded Sun City Girls and Animal Collective) and Markus Dravs (Bjork, Brian Eno and James).
Please tell the kids in England that we are looking forward to seeing them, and we can’t wait for them to hear our new record.

Yours,

Win

PS, If yo put my name on the top of a list and place your name below mine and send this letter to five other people, and have them send this letter to five other people, and whoever gets the letter has to send a pound to everyone above them on the list, we will all male a lot of money! It should look like this:

Win Butler
New Musical Express

Black Mirror:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j596sv

Edited by thekiddrinkingfire, 07 January 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#37 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

find out where this church is and i'll go take photographs!

i should take 45 minutes and attempt to download one of the new songs? which one?

#38 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

I see Will posted the new song above but I was about to post this anyway

The 3 songs leaked so far along with the earlier KCRW version of Intervention for comparison.

#39 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

black mirror sounds like they are cloud busting rebellion. aww, but it is thee arcade fire and i've been longing to hear these beasts fly around french architecture like a schizophrenic bats in a transilvanian opera house.

#40 '''''

'''''

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

it's an exciting time to be alive... I'm pondering in which country to see Arcade Fire in early 2007.
Holland is in an early lead :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users