137 replies to this topic

#1 Bill B

Bill B

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I figured I would kick this off on our Vault official forums. Swirlers already know what is up. This Roulette or some call "vinyl roulette" TMR is doing is quite interesting. So let me elaborate a bit. If you don't know, in the bundles section of the new TMR shop, the Vinyl Roulette tab. Click that. Pick 5 singles from the list and they will ship you a random item from A. the Thirdman warehouse or B. the Vault. Swirlers know and the stories from these mystery items range from a CD, TMR portable LP player, Meg Diana Camera ,stylophones, lp cleaning kits,theramins...etc. Some of you probably own every single in the catalog, I did not, so it is a good way to fill in your TMR collection and POSSIBLY cop a sweet bonus. POSSIBLY. I had to order something because of the Shakin single, and my package won't ship until then. But anybody care to share what bullet came out of the Thirdman chamber? Good or not so good. I will post what they ship, when they do. Curious business.

#2 Kiwi

Kiwi

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Last week, I ordered the Rome 12" LP and a vinyl roulette containing:

Gastown
Uncle Andrei
Chittlin Cookin Time In Cheatham County
Brain
Ain't Hungry

I'm guessing the package should arrive sometime this coming week. Hoping for something neat, but I haven't got my hopes up as it's an international package (listed as international letter over att USPS, even) and I doubt TMR could afford sending stuff way over the shipping price I paid. Then again, it's a gamble, so who knows?

#3 Bill B

Bill B

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hey they ate the cost to ship that giant LP player! And the lowest item on the totem pole has been greenhorns cds thus far. Keep an eye on your tracking...look at the weight. If its over a pound, you got more than a cd thats for sure. Hope they are out of CDs! I would think Vinyl roulette ment only vinyl...but seeing the cameras come out and LP players? Skies the limit evidentally. Fingers crossed! Almost like a trip to vegas...but you actually get something in return besides an empty wallet.

#4 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,795 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'll say this about Jack - He's crazy good at coming up with promotional and customer loyalty schemes. This is pretty much "buy five subs get one free" only, I dunno, rock and roll.

Good way to empty up warehouse space. Do you know how much it costs to sit on unsold stock. More than postage, that's what!

Still, I'll probably order some stuff. I want a second copy of the Tom Jones one to give to people who say "WHo was that singing Howlin' Wolf? Can't have been Tom Jones, no fucking way". That'll learn 'em.

#5 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,993 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

This is a fun idea! I already have all of the "pick 5" 45 options that I want, though. Boo.

#6 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Same here. Decided it wasn't worth $25 just to gamble on something really cool. It IS a fun idea, though.

#7 Little Cream Soda

Little Cream Soda

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Shipping is too expensive to the UK, I sort of feel as though they are overcharging certain customers for shipping costs to cover their costs of sending bigger items to US customers who get free shipping, they have no reason to charge $11.60 to ship 5 7" records from the store, then charge $17.88 to ship 5 records from the roulette, so much for a "free" item. Also, I don't think they'd send anything cool to the UK due to customs and extra hassle for them.

#8 Bill B

Bill B

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hey don't feel too bad, shipping from Nashville to Colorado is roughly 2 bucks cheaper! I wonder if ALL the revamped packaging is the cause, I haven't ordered stuff in awhile aside from my Vault package. That being said I have never EVER gotten free shipping from TMR, has anybody? I don't even get a discount code every now and then, although the option is there. I paid the same shipping rate for my 3 invertred bolts that I did for my White Stripes LP case and roulette, 10 bucks the slowest shipping possible. So the mailmen play soccer with my boxes for an extra day before they hit my doorstep. The more I order its about the same price unless I want the rocket shipment plan the only upside I have seen thus far.

#9 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Curious business. indeed.

#10 Little Cream Soda

Little Cream Soda

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hey don't feel too bad, shipping from Nashville to Colorado is roughly 2 bucks cheaper! I wonder if ALL the revamped packaging is the cause, I haven't ordered stuff in awhile aside from my Vault package. That being said I have never EVER gotten free shipping from TMR, has anybody? I don't even get a discount code every now and then, although the option is there. I paid the same shipping rate for my 3 invertred bolts that I did for my White Stripes LP case and roulette, 10 bucks the slowest shipping possible. So the mailmen play soccer with my boxes for an extra day before they hit my doorstep. The more I order its about the same price unless I want the rocket shipment plan the only upside I have seen thus far.

It's not free? Ohh, I wanted to check the price if I got it shipped to a mail forwarding company and when I went to check the shipping quote it didn't give a price or any options so I assumed they shipped for free, A lot of companies in the UK offer free shipping, it is rare nowadays for me to pay shipping on anything apart from clothes, I wouldn't expect free shipping from USA but just a little cheaper would be nice as it seems unfair to charge extra for the same weight.

#11 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

The UK is a lot smaller, so the free shipping isn't such a big deal--it's rarer here, and often the "free" shipping is just factored into the price of the item anyway. Vault packages just went up in the US, too, from $60 to $66-ish (can't remember), because of shipping.

#12 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,993 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

often the "free" shipping is just factored into the price of the item anyway.

This is true for almost anything that's advertised as "free". It's being paid for some how, some way, and usually that way is to factor it into the price of other goods.

#13 Armin's frozen peas

Armin's frozen peas

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

It only cost you $10 to ship the LP case? I've been wanting to buy one since they went up but shipping to the UK, at least on the old store, just about doubled the price from what I recall. I can't seem to get on the new store to check if it's changed.

Edit: Yep, $72.55 to ship an empty box. I like it, but I don't $152.55 like it.

Edited by Armin's frozen peas, 22 October 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#14 Astra

Astra

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Haha, Tom Jones was in my 5, and also was my roulette bonus ;)

#15 beb9913

beb9913

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I got a Seasick Steve cd in my first one ordered another but probably won't ship until my I'm shakin preorder ships

#16 stoffel

stoffel

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

got my package overseas, included one of those cables, which might come in very handy, very pleased

#17 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think I'm going to be the first person to get a sticker from this. Don't know why but I do. Haven't had any luck with random mail order stuff with TMR EVER so doubt it will change. Got my tracking info and the package weights 1.2 lbs... :(. If it's a cd, hopefully it's something I don't have and will actually listen to.

Edited by sikntwzd, 26 October 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#18 lindnet74

lindnet74

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I think I'm going to be the first person to get a sticker from this. Don't know why but I do. Haven't had any luck with random mail order stuff with TMR EVER so doubt it will change. Got my tracking info and the package weights 1.2 lbs... :(. If it's a cd, hopefully it's something I don't have and will actually listen to.

Someone somewhere (I can't remember, I compulsively read everything I can about TMR) said that when they got the 5 7" vinyls and one extra as the mystery gift, their package weighted .9 lbs. Mine is the same as yours.....it might be more than a sticker.

#19 Bill B

Bill B

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I hear the stylophones don't weigh much, but it seems us vaulters haven't had much luck. I will try not to use that word often. My box will ship when they release the shakin single Tuesday...hoping for a tri! Or a cleaning kit, or a cable...you get the idea, anything I don't already have is always a nice addition.

#20 Kiwi

Kiwi

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Last week, I ordered the Rome 12" LP and a vinyl roulette containing:

Gastown
Uncle Andrei
Chittlin Cookin Time In Cheatham County
Brain
Ain't Hungry

I'm guessing the package should arrive sometime this coming week. Hoping for something neat, but I haven't got my hopes up as it's an international package (listed as international letter over att USPS, even) and I doubt TMR could afford sending stuff way over the shipping price I paid. Then again, it's a gamble, so who knows?

Okay, so I just recieved mine and roulette indeed... First of all, I got Chris Tile & Michael Daves instead of Chittlin Cookin Time In Cheatham Country, which was pretty strange. Then I got the We Are Hex 7" as a bonus item, which isn't something I usually would've bought but on the other hand was free, so I'm not complaining. I guess the Pokey 7" is another reason to go for another spin though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users