518 replies to this topic

#501 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

comics in the 90's were weird. all the great characters were replaced with these more violent modern counterparts....even wonder woman. it was a dumb decade.

i actually enjoyed the bane character in knightfall. i thought that was a good story. i hear in the past few years gail simone has done good things with him in the comics too, but i havent read any of that.

#502 123deadstreet

123deadstreet

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

The one-liners in TDKRises made me want to puke about 3 minutes in, and they didn't let up for over 2 cringe inducing hours. Awful.

Edited by 123deadstreet, 20 July 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#503 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Just the thought of seeing the movie is making me cringe right now. Got an e-mail that I misinterpreted as saying that it had been shooting (i.e. filming) in Colorado, was a bit baffled until I finally saw the news. :(

#504 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

The one-liners in TDKRises made me want to puke about 3 minutes in, and they didn't let up for over 2 cringe inducing hours. Awful.

It's a comic book movie, what did you expect? No different to the other Batman films. If they bother you that much, you shouldn't have bothered going to see it (on opening day, no less)

#505 123deadstreet

123deadstreet

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

What do you think I expected? not so many downright painfully delivered one liners, I don't remember it being nearly as bad last round, it felt like the entire movie was written in bad quips, even the editing on a few of them early on made them twice as awkward than they had to be. I don't remember cat-madchen having even a single line that wasn't gut wrenchingly awful. Sorry I had expectations for the follow up to one of the few decent comic book movies of the last decade.

Edited by 123deadstreet, 21 July 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#506 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

lets face it... the directors heart was not really in it and Bale is such a flip you cant get a reading on the guy to work with him

i had hoped this film would go much differently but i cant get past it being something of an Xmen on steroids... oh well

maybe i will see it eventually and maybe i will find something of value to it... or maybe not

#507 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

comics in the 90's were weird. all the great characters were replaced with these more violent modern counterparts....even wonder woman. it was a dumb decade.

i actually enjoyed the bane character in knightfall. i thought that was a good story. i hear in the past few years gail simone has done good things with him in the comics too, but i havent read any of that.

It wasn't a bad story until he "broke the Batman" that was just friggin' stupid - and yes it was a retarded decade when it came to comic books especially - what did they do with Wonder Woman? I stopped reading after the George Perez run on Wonder Woman that I thought was pretty bad ass and as for Gail Simone, she really seems to push the envelope. I don't always love hat she does but she is a hell of a writer and I have to admit I love what she did with a lot of the female characters she worked on. I gave up the comic books a couple years ago when they started the whole cross-over madness again so I couldn't tell you what she's even doing these days. I do love the painting art that has made a comeback though, pick up a few Arthur Suydam and Alex Ross comics a year just because they look so damned cool :lol:

#508 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

in the 90's there was a wonder woman story called the contest or something like that. essentially, diana had to defend her wonder woman title against other amazons. and there was this rogue sect of excessively violent and pissed off amazons that live elsewhere on the island, they hated the other amazons. one of them named artemis claimed the wonder woman title, and all the usual cliche's ensued.

george perez's wonder woman run was fantastic. years ago greg rucka had an amazingly successful run on wonder woman as well. i'd highly recommend it.

gail simone was writing wonder woman for a bit. she started out sorta kinda decent, but in the end was entirely forgettable. wonder woman is a difficult character to write, but when done well she's the best. my love for her character is equal to my love for superman and batman. the trinity of those three characters are IT for me.

#509 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Anne Hathaway was terribly underutilized.

#510 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

What do you think I expected? not so many downright painfully delivered one liners, I don't remember it being nearly as bad last round, it felt like the entire movie was written in bad quips, even the editing on a few of them early on made them twice as awkward than they had to be. I don't remember cat-madchen having even a single line that wasn't gut wrenchingly awful. Sorry I had expectations for the follow up to one of the few decent comic book movies of the last decade.

I think you might be looking back on the other Nolan films with rose tinted glasses or something. I've watched the whole trilogy in the last week and I don't think TDKR had a more than usual level of cheesy one liners. There's definitely more of them in Batman Begins.

#511 unpleasantly_frazzled

unpleasantly_frazzled

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

the new film was booooring, i don't even know, it just bored me. wasn't a fan of the first either. joker is best.

#512 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ok, now the film makes sense to me -- http://xanderstrange...-rises-edition/ Spoilers contained within, of course.

#513 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I really didn't mind this movie at all. I thought it was good. Of course you have to suspend belief at parts and yeah I thought some of the dialogue was cheesy but it didn't seem like there was any more than the other two films. There were a few things I would have improved on but overall I liked it. I always hated the character of Bane (I remember buying the issue when he breaks Batman's back right when it came out and being so upset!) but aside from the weird voice (I asked my brother if it was Sean Connery) I thought he was all right too. Very decent movie.

#514 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Anne Hathaway was terrible.

yes she was :lol: (sorry for tampering with your post there, but seriously? Princess Diaries Catwoman? No.)

#515 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm not saying she's the best actress ever, but she's certainly decent (Have you seen anything besides Princess Diaries?). And she was a hell of a lot more interesting choice than some other actresses out there.

#516 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

I liked her too. She's not my favorite actress either but I think she's good. Unfair to write her off because of one movie (The Princess Diaries) that she made like 10 years ago.

#517 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

http://insidemovies....ooting-victims/

#518 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

^^ Very admirable.

#519 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

I'm not saying she's the best actress ever, but she's certainly decent (Have you seen anything besides Princess Diaries?). And she was a hell of a lot more interesting choice than some other actresses out there.

She was okay in Brokeback - Devil Wears Prada, Alice In Wonderland and Get Smart sealed the deal for me though *shudder* doesn't help I don't think she's pretty either as that can usually help me look past some lack of talent admittedly, what has she done BBM aside that did not utterly suck? This film was a train wreck for me
edit: that was not voice acting as I guess Hoodwinked and Rio didn't annoy the piss out of me.

Edited by spastic.jerk, 25 July 2012 - 03:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users