#1 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,357 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:56 PM

Question submitted by: Astroboy64

Jack, first of all, congratulations on producing a superbly crafted album from Loretta Lynn, one of the greatest albums I've heard in a very long time. I've read in a few interviews that you consider her to be the greatest female singer-songwriter of the 20th century. I was wondering--who do you consider the greatest MALE singer-songwriter? Would you go with Bob Dylan on that, and if so, is there any chance of a future collaboration between you and Dylan? (just wishful thinking on my part)

#2 Jack White

Jack White

Icky Thump

• Band Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:34 PM

for some reason that is a more difficult question than i can answer.  and my reason is this.  there are so many blues musicians who created so much beautiful music, and founded so many genres of stortelling through melody, that considering them, it's impossible to consider the greatest of them all.  is charley patton more important than son house or willie brown?  hard to say.  my point with loretta was that she broke down barriers for women by writing her own songs when women were not doing that, especially in nashville at the time.  she broke a lot of ground for future female singer songwriters.  she was the first in many ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users