it was kind of scary because theres a methdone clinic right next to it

#62 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I know it is completely juvenile to drag this over here but this is shocking. It looks like Delia has turned against Jack!! Hahaha.

The Dead Weather also did a radio interview in
New York, with Matt Pinfield at 101.9 FM:

www.1019rxp.com/pinfield/

(Scroll down to the box with the audio selections,
and click on The Dead Weather.)

It's a pretty interesting interview, I thought.

Even though Alison is the boss, she was willing
to allow Jack and the other boys to talk to the
DJ too. That seems generous of her.

Maybe her "tough" and "fierce" and "macho" and
"aggressive" and "hard-edged" and "snarling" attitude
is mainly an on-stage act. Like the black leather.
Or maybe not. Maybe she has to stay tough all the
time, just to keep those guys in line, whether they're
on stage or off stage.

Um, yeh. Am I the only one not utterly thrilled to see Jack White's prodigious talent and awesome charisma take a back seat to somebody else? He's without a doubt the single most incandescent rock god of our era, but he seems to be determined to keep slinking further and further into the background. (Someone on another forum made a joke that in his next band he'll be playing clarinet, behind the curtain.) It's not immediately obvious to me why he seems intent upon squandering the prime of his life as a rock star by lingering back in the shadows of obscurity. When is he planning to step into the spotlight again? Maybe when he's forty, and nobody cares any more?

Quote:
Mosshart was clearly the star of the evening.

Yeah, we got that. Jack is tired and bored of being a star. He only wants to hang out in the background and let other people shine. What a shame.

Stripped of the White Stripes’ innocence and the Raconteurs’ glamour, Horehound is shaping up image-wise to be a kind of post-apocalyptic Western: a blanched landscape of “bone houses,” “sinners,” oedipal urges and “demonic ponies.” It’s a shootout between God and the Devil at the OK Corral. The Dead Weather still draws its signifiers from the typical sources (the Bible, pre-War blues, Dylan) but the difference here is that along with morality, White’s longstanding obsessions with melody and words have been replaced by a new emphasis on rhythm, sexual menace and interplay.

What "sexual menace"?? There's more sexual menace (and libidinal sizzle) in The White Stripes than anything else I've ever seen. With Jack stuck behind the drums, what sexual menace could there possibly be with The Dead Weather? Girls don't have anything to menace anybody with. (Sure, they can posture at some kind of aggressive macho swagger, but that's all it is, posturing. Kind of like a cat that barks.)

Quote:

Alison Mosshart ... is our de facto frontman, and like Woody Allen's lead actors, she has perhaps subconsciously adopted some of Jack's yelp-to-snarl mannerisms in delivering such macho bon mots as "You're so cold and dangerous/But I can't leave you be/You got the kind of loving/I need constantly" or "I put your heart/In a vault/That's how I get/The things I want"...

(No word yet on whether or not Alison is a more macho front man than Jack. But if she's not, it sure doesn't seem to be for lack of trying.)

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 15 April 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#63 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Quote:

Yet, it'd be a misrepresentation to imply that the band's ministrations or White's rock-star presence (...) approached, in any way, the commanding aura of Mosshart, who stalked and flailed and fell to her knees, wailing that she was "60 feet tall" (take that, "50 Foot Queenie") in a forceful bellow that seemed immeasurably more confident than her vocals in the Kills (which were slinky-tough enough to start with).

Well, I guess now that Jack has decided to retire from being a rock star, it's a good thing that somebody is willing to be the front man for this band.

I remember back in the good old days when The White Stripes were still around, I thought it was so sweet those times when Jack would pick Meg up and carry her offstage at the end of the show.

Hey, maybe now that Alison is the macho front man, they could end the show with her picking Jack up and carrying him off the stage. It sounds like everybody's just about ready for that now.

I do like this song quite a bit. I'll admit that I liked it
better when I thought it was one that Jack had written,
because then it seemed kind of hot and sexy - with the
lyrics about him dragging a lover around by her hair,
macho caveman style, to hell and heaven, etc.

But then I found out that Alison wrote it instead.
I guess I should have realized that, just from the
lyrics. Jack is far too sweet and innocent and gentle
and shy and humble to go dragging anyone around
by the hair; he's just too much of a gentleman.
That must be why he likes to stay in the background
so humble and timid and modest and meek and shy,
and let everyone else but him have the spotlight.

Only Alison is strong and tough and macho and
commanding and aggressive enough to go dragging
people around by the hair. She's clearly the one with
the balls in this band. I guess that's probably why
she's the front man. Hey, girrlz rule, huh?

'

All quotes are from Delia at the Candy Cane Children board.

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 15 April 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#64 gromit

gromit

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

^ I don't want to be rude at Delia but those last two comments are so lol :lol: especially the one saying that Alison should be carrying Jack off the stage instead of vice versa b/c she's macho-er than Jack
- That's the best joke I've seen in this week so far..

Edited by gromit, 15 April 2009 - 02:24 PM.

#65 littlemegwhite

littlemegwhite

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

nm

What does "nm" mean?

#66 PoopsOnLawn

PoopsOnLawn

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

what's a delia?

#67 gromit

gromit

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

What does "nm" mean?

It's an internet abbreviation for 'never mind'. I have posted a review of the show from VanityFair which says the similar things with Delia and I erased it.

Edited by gromit, 15 April 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#68 littlemegwhite

littlemegwhite

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Oh, OK, thanks. I am half asleep...

#69 QueenBooch

QueenBooch

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Oh jeeze, those Delia quotes. :rolleyes: :lol: It says more about her rigid attitude toward the sexes than anything else, that after all her time spent worshipping Jack's various qualities, she feels the need to ridicule him now that he's no longer the perfect canvas for her to paint her idealized image of manhood upon. I got a real kick out of reading that... even though it's also kind of scary and sad.

#70 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

What pisses me off is that she doesn't think women are capable of being assertive, aggressive, and sexually intimidating. I can't believe she has so little respect for her sex.

#71 QueenBooch

QueenBooch

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

^ Yeah, don't even get me started on that. <_< I guess that in her mind, the essence of what it means to be female is to be soft and weak, so if you are anything else, you're not worthy of respect. I find her comments about women so completely outrageous and offensive that I have long since ceased to be able to take them personally; they just seem so much a product of her own little world. It does piss me off when I think about it, but I guess I just try to laugh instead.

Anyway, back to your regular, non-Delia-oriented Random Dead Weather Sightings programming....

Edited by QueenBooch, 15 April 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#72 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

She's just mad because Jack has on stage chemistry with another woman besides Meg and she can't tell how tight his pants are when he's sitting behind a drum kit. If she ever gets a chance to see them live she might change her opinion.

#73 Guest_Vlim Harcor_*

Guest_Vlim Harcor_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

The irony about delia is that she is completely domineering, aggressive, assertive, and full of bravado and macho posturing. But lolpants, for sure. I had no idea she was still around in the WS online fanworld.

#74 bikedo

bikedo

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

What does "nm" mean?

Near Mint

#75 WanderingStranger

WanderingStranger

Asked To Be Deleted

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

I don't agree with Delia at all, but I also don't agree with you, CaseOfThePunks, quoting her somewhere you know she can't see and defend herself, that is lame, I would say you aren't enough woman to say these things directly to her on the forum in which she posts. Shame on you.

#76 Diana

Diana

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

It's an internet abbreviation for 'never mind'. I have posted a review of the show from VanityFair which says the similar things with Delia and I erased it.

why did you erase it? im interested....do you have a link? thanks!

#77 Kaber

Kaber

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

There is a picture in todays NME of the band and it says there will be a review of their NYC gig next week

#78 littleredbutton247

littleredbutton247

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

I saw them walk past me into the venue, do a 1.5 hour soundcheck, then walk out into their white van and go to dinner. They didn't even look at all their fans standing out in the freezing rain :(

But I also saw them do an amazing show...so, I'm not complaining.

#79 ms8shaw

ms8shaw

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I think if you are there super early and there are at max like 10-20 folks, it wouldn't hurt to throw a head nod, a smile, a moment of time even, at the fans waiting to see you.

I get pissed at the situation when I hear that I am patiently waiting in line for a ridiculous 4 hours or so to get up front and I hear that some person who just rolled into the area an hour before the show gets to meet all the band members by chance because they are wandering around. I just think it is kinda bogus, but murphy's law I guess.

#80 littleredbutton247

littleredbutton247

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I think if you are there super early and there are at max like 10-20 folks, it wouldn't hurt to throw a head nod, a smile, a moment of time even, at the fans waiting to see you.

I get pissed at the situation when I hear that I am patiently waiting in line for a ridiculous 4 hours or so to get up front and I hear that some person who just rolled into the area an hour before the show gets to meet all the band members by chance because they are wandering around. I just think it is kinda bogus, but murphy's law I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded something, since it was just like eight people, but maybe they didn't wanna stop b/c it was raining pretty hard. And once they came out there were like 50 people on line, but if there's less than 10, it'd be cool to get a handshake or something. I will meet Jack one day...but I'm glad I didn't stay after the show, b/c somebody said they did the same thing, just walk by without stopping. He did the same thing with the Racs. It seems like he's only in the mood to meet his fans when he's in Nashville haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users