890 replies to this topic

#21 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

"Right to the people," not "to the right people." I really have no idea what he means. Could be a distribution strategy or ... who knows. We'll find out soon enough ...

#22 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

thee radical is on to something. It will be something big, not just a vinyl release. Not saying you're right, but it's gotta be something big like that.

well ... thank you... now to blow my whole theory way out into the cosmos let me just put this on the map... insert nervous laugh here... red light comes on and we go live

Ronco and Jack White have teamed up to design an easy bake oven for disc making and you just put the little vinyl block in the press and program what song you want stereo lithographed onto your own discs and voila no shipping and distro head aches~~~

45/s of whatever digital thing you want... ahahahhaha!!!

ok... no one promised you factual data here... but it was funny

i was just trying to break the tension... its better than soup

#23 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

well ... thank you... now to blow my whole theory way out into the cosmos let me just put this on the map... insert nervous laugh here... red light comes on and we go live

Ronco and Jack White have teamed up to design an easy bake oven for disc making and you just put the little vinyl block in the press and program what song you want stereo lithographed onto your own discs and voila no shipping and distro head aches~~~

45/s of whatever digital thing you want... ahahahhaha!!!

ok... no one promised you factual data here... but it was funny

i was just trying to break the tension... its better than soup

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Takin it right to the people huh? *drums fingers on desk for a while and comes up with nada*

#24 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I agree that it has to be connected with something like record distribution--I think it's significant that he's talking about other labels, so it has to be some kind of business model that goes beyond TMR.

#25 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

yeah sounds more like that, i guess i will just have to wait and see

#26 Kiwi

Kiwi

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

This is seriously eating me up, the announcement can't be here soon enough. <_<

Although I'm completely clueless, something along the lines of distribution does make sense I guess...

#27 getbehindmejack

getbehindmejack

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

I just hope it's is awesome as this dude.

#28 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

I just hope it's is awesome as this dude.

Haha wow

#29 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

that's awesome. jack should sell his records at third man.

#30 JeffL

JeffL

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Here's the text of that part of the interview:

Nick Van Huis: What else from Third Man Records in general? Is there a big -

Jack: Oh, man, we have a big, big annoncement coming in the next two weeks. Something we've been working on for about six, seven months right now. I can't tell you you right now. It's a big deal that we've put a lot of effort into, and I think people are really going to love it. And I think it's going to be great for the whole music industry, where we're at right now - as a sign of the way things can be done - with other labels, too. Just taking it right to the people. So we're going to come out with something very soon - the next two weeks.

I don't know what it is, but it's not the release of a particular record (or if it is, it's incidental to some other change in format or business model).

new White Stripes?
;)

#31 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

new White Stripes?
;)

In my wilder moments, I've entertained some feverish hopes about what music might be connected with the announcement .. I'm sure it's not a reunion, but maybe it could involve other stuff we'd all love ... but I don't want to go down a path of daydreaming about it here ...

Yes, I imagine it's the same thing he hinted about on the chat (thanks to Cherie for posting the transcript of the chat - only way I saw it).

It also may or may not relate to what he said about Record Day being crazy at TMR.

#32 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

at best it may be some sort of interactive website that allows you to make music with the bands of your choice and then record it etc... which lends itself to the white stripes statement that the fans can have the music and do what they wish...

on the other hand... at worst it is some sort of process of signing up for a thousand more dollar draining services online with bad service and infinite platform complications as hardware and software trauma drama...

middle of the road would be a new way to deal with product so that it was accessible and interactively transferrable... oh man... jack... you gotta do this right when i am going to be getting ready for spring break and bustin out to see Wanda and the Greenhornes playing live dont you??? what a roller coaster of anticipatory realities that i likely cannot afford

i might as well start sulking now over having something that i have dreamed of be too complicated for me to manage... :( ... fuck that... lets have a blast anyways!!! :D

#33 dazed22

dazed22

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

I always wonder about that too.

This surprises you why?

#34 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,830 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

He's probably signed a deal with Sony.

#35 jamesmo32

jamesmo32

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

Jack you traitor!!!!! :angry: ..........JK!
It'd be quite understandable- you have to have a steady source of funds to keep a business afloat. It'd actually be quite beneficial- more money to create stuff with! :D
Or it could be a disaster- Sony buying up all the rights and then screwing Jack over. :(

#36 Guest_SoulExcitement_*

Guest_SoulExcitement_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hipster.

Anyone notice this whole vinyl craze infecting Jack White forums? I don't get it.

The ones ridiculing people's interest in vinyl records are the fucking hipsters. They're the super cool ones who have to show everyone how unimpressed they are with everything, because they "only care about the music". Sure, they might buy records sometimes too, but they don't get excited about it, and they think you shouldn't either. And because they're able to ridicule by barely saying anything, they can pretend it wasn't their intention when they reply to this. You guys are so cool.

#37 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

I think it's people's way of pretending that any Jack White project is anything other than mainstream.

I don't think anyone is pretending that.

And enough of who called who the hipster, it's gotta be the most pointless argument in existence at the moment.

#38 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

Prefer vinyl because it sounds better - not a hipster (though possibly wrong depending on details)

Prefer vinyl because it's collectible - not a hipster

Prefer vinyl for the big cover art and look of the record itself - not a hipster

Prefer vinyl because its' nice to have something physical to look at and think about - not a hipster

Prefer vinyl because most people don't prefer vinyl and you want to be different - this could be hipster

Unless you know someone's motivation, I would assume the best, not the worst. Not sure the point in this anyway. If you know much about Jack, you know points 3 and 4 are huge for him, and he's also cool with point 2.

#39 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

I don't like vinyl since it became mainstream again.

I only listen to albums through vintage mobile phones. I love that lo-fi quality they give off.

#40 Squiggy

Squiggy

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

Something like this could make a lot of sense depending how it's structured ... add some cool to Sony and add some muscle to TMR. (Replace "Sony" with some other big company and it's the same deal.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users