47 replies to this topic

#1 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:45 PM

remember when we couldn't wait to be the one to post this news? Or hannibal lusty's speculation threads? ok, well for the record:

Introducing Vault Package 28

Posted by Third Man on 4 April 2016

SetRatioSize12001200-Vault28-webmockup-1

About 1 year ago, Jack White embarked on an unusual, acoustic tour. Hitting the only five states in the US in which he had yet to perform — the wild environs of North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and Alaska — White and his acoustic ensemble of Dominic Davis, Fats Kaplin and Lillie Mae Rische delivered jaw-dropping performances to the previously JW deprived territories. Each show was announced only hours before curtains lifted and tickets were only available in the venue box office, 1 per person, for $3. "No tradesies." Rampant online speculation, guesstimation and divining ensued, and those who were lucky and/or cunning enough to secure a seat were admired by all. The shows had several standards and rules set ahead of time by White: no amplifiers, only ribbon microphones used, and no monitors on stage.

The final performance of that tour was streamed live on TIDAL, but, as you know, we never pass up an opportunity to immortalize great music (it's a complex, really), so, we ran tape and film for the
entirety of the tour, and now YOU will reap the benefits of our obsession.

Vault Package #28 is a celebration of these unprecedented performances and the end of the era that they signified. Acoustic in Idaho showcases the performance at the Egyptian Theater in Boise and contains a career-spanning set with standards from the White Stripes, Raconteurs and Jack White solo catalog, reinterpreted for performance with no amplifiers. The performance was captured exclusively by ribbon microphones and is dripping with atmosphere. Including a cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s “I Asked For Water (She Gave Me Gasoline)” and ending with a rousing rendition of Leadbelly’s “Goodnight Irene,” what exists here is pure magic. This double LP set will be pressed on Icy Idaho Blue vinyl.

Jack’s performance from the Wendy Williamson Auditorium in Anchorage, Alaska is a gem in its own right. With the ethereal setting adding to the mystique of the circumstance, the show was one of the most thrilling in White’s twenty-plus-year career, and those who were there to enjoy it (who had waited all day in the snow), bore witness to a once-in-a-lifetime performance. We present that memorable show here, in its entirety, on DVD, with expertly engineered sound and editing by TMR’s in-house film guru Brad Holland. Acoustic in Alaska is truly spectacular.

From the Third Man Books, we present Pictures From Unknown States, an intimate collection of shots from photographer, close Third Man ally (and occasional clothing designer) David James Swanson. This pictorial travelogue of the tour and the places and people it encountered on its route is a packed-to-the-brim 52 pages of sheer wonder.

Also borrowed from Swanson’s stunning photo archives and are two elegant Risograph prints, both suitable for framing and evocative of the gilded settings of each one of these performances.

These items fits together perfectly in a soft-touch, silk-screened box that only further cements the exquisite collection as an item no music fan can deny. It may just be our best Vault package yet.

Live in Idaho setlist

Just One Drink
Temporary Ground
Hotel Yorba
You Know That I Know
Inaccessibly Mystery
Do
Alone in My Home
Carolina Drama
Love Interruption
A Martyr For My Love For You
Sugar Never Tasted So Good
We’re Going to Be Friends
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
I Asked For Water (She Gave Me Gasoline)
Blunderbuss
You’ve Got Her in Your Pocket
Goodnight, Irene

Live in Alaska setlist

Just One Drink
Temporary Ground
Love Interruption
Machine Gun Silhouette
Offend in Every Way
The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
Alone in My Home
You Know That I Know
We’re Going to Be Friends
Entitlement
Carolina Drama
You’ve Got Her in Your Pocket
A Martyr For My Love For You
Goodnight, Irene

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

remember when we couldn't wait to be the one to post this news? Or hannibal lusty's speculation threads? ok, well for the record:

I miss those days so very much. Sometimes feels like it's not worth posting stuff like this over here anymore, so I'm very glad that you did, mac.

As for this package, it got me all choked up yesterday.  Reading the announcement gave me a visceral flashback to that other, ominously worded announcement  a year ago that said Jack was going to take a break from touring for "a long period of time".  This package is beautiful and I cannot wait for both the music and the behind the scenes stuff, but it's also a reminder that we can speculate all we want, but we have no idea how long it'll be before he decides to step back out onto a stage again.

#3 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

I ain't speculating until I get my Dead Weather live LP Dagnammit

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

You've already got one!!!

#5 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:05 PM

Doesn't count. I want full set list, both albums + b-sides, 20 minute will there be enough water etc

#6 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

I'll definitely be back for this one. This forum lives and breathes for an active in the public eye Jack White. Without that, there isn't always much to talk about, which is too bad!

#7 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

I hate Jack's solo stuff so I'm totally outty on this one - so super bummed I am car-less and won't be able to try and get the Peel Session LPs for RSD though.  No f'n clue why that's the RSD release and this is the Vault stuff...  Ugh.

#8 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Should I be concerned I haven't received my Vault 27 yet?

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

Should I be concerned I haven't received my Vault 27 yet?

No, a lot of people haven't. Seems to have been a pre-RSD snafu at the pressing plant. Welcome to the 3/9er Club.

#10 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

I hate Jack's solo stuff so I'm totally outty on this one - so super bummed I am car-less and won't be able to try and get the Peel Session LPs for RSD though.  No f'n clue why that's the RSD release and this is the Vault stuff...  Ugh.

The Peel Sessions aren't actually a RSD release, just released on the same day. You may be able to snag one for a decent price somewhere. MAYBE.

#11 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

No, a lot of people haven't. Seems to have been a pre-RSD snafu at the pressing plant. Welcome to the 3/9er Club.

Cool. I'm generally never concerned about it. I'm of the mentality that it'll get here when it gets here. But when I saw the new package announced without even having received the last one, I was curious. Thanks.

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

That's happened so many times before, though.  

And I will never stop saying that I miss the days when we didn't get shipping confirmations at all. So much more fun then.  Seems like shipping confirmations just make people uptight (except for TJ.  And Avard, who never gets one.).

#13 elephant71

elephant71

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Got 28 today, another great looking package

#14 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Got 28 today, another great looking package

Jealous.  I'm looking forward to this one more than have any Vault release in, well, maybe ever.  But I haven't even got my shipping notification.

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

Jealous.  I'm looking forward to this one more than have any Vault release in, well, maybe ever.  But I haven't even got my shipping notification.

That was your 33rd post. That's it, you can't post anymore.

Just kidding.  Apparently the early part of the alphabet began receiving their packages before their shipping notification.  Those of us in the latter half of the alphabet who've not yet received our packages are just now beginning to receive shipping notices.  

With all the bullshit going on in the world these days, I'm beginning to feel like I really, really need this package. It will be a glorious antidote.

#16 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

I didn't even get to complain about this one. ;) I was wondering the other day, what's the vault package we're waiting on? Is it soon? Is it too soon? Whatever. Then earlier today, someone shouts to me that there's a package up front for me--really? I didn't order anything. And there's the giant pizza box. And moments later, the shipping notification. Einstein Express, when it absolutely has to be there yesterday.

#17 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

what a feelin' that's begun!

https://soundcloud.c...ault-package-28

#18 elephant71

elephant71

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

Lotta scratching and hissing on sides C & D. Disappointing. 

#19 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

Lotta scratching and hissing on sides C & D. Disappointing. 

I need to play my LPs still. I'll let you know how they sound sometime this week/weekend.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users