14 replies to this topic

#1 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

I know this has already been started in another thread, but it's my belief that The Peel Sessions RSD release deserve their own thread. I can't wait! See official announcement link below!

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news

Who's going? And where?

Edited by Jamilia, 29 March 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

59f0b06aa67521bd972f61ebef2207cb_zpsft7b

96ac94df428c95416893ffb08ec98041_zps7wup

f8a73fecf288af08be9615d4782e80b9_zpsnx8v

7187f781c9c4c0403302a77c0f0c7cad_zpsj2zp

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

Haha, I see you somehow highlighted Birdcloud's entry  ;) 

The list of bands in Detroit sounds highly intriguing, I'm going there. 

And very cool to get the Peel sessions on an official release. Though it makes me kind of wonder--  Is it me or does it seem like a lot of recent Vault releases are culled from bootlegs?  Nine Miles From the White City, Under Amazonian Lights, the one that's on its way to us soon with previously bootlegged shows from Two Star Tabernacle, the Go, and Jack and the Bricks.... 

#4 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

I am very happy that the Peel Sessions are getting released. They are spirited, energized performances and such an important moment in White Stripes lore. I only wish that I could find the Vault chat where I suggested this as a vault release and was rebuffed, with the excuse that "We want to release stuff no one has heard already." To your point, Tam, this follows the bootleg pattern. It's a shame that I'm going to wind up overpaying for the colored plastic version, because who knows when the black version of this (or GBMS) will actually be released. I do hope they clean up the sound a bit, it's a bit trebly-soundboard-abrasive at times. I hope there's possibly some unheard banter with Mr. Peel -- and pictures! gorgeous pictures, please!

#5 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

I've been away a awhile.

Hot damn the peel sessions!

Unfortunately my local store closed down.

#6 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,369 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hearing the Peel Sessions so many years ago really took my fandom to a much larger level.  I still say the Peel Sessions are the best live versions of most songs that I personally have ever heard...

#7 Jack White Mini me!

Jack White Mini me!

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

I recently got a turntable so this will be my first RSD:) does anyone know if these releases are usually available in RSD participating stores in the UK?

#8 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,695 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

TMR's announcement makes it sound like the White Stripes Peel Sessions record will be available at other record stores, so you might want to call around to your local shops to make sure they order it.

#9 Jack White Mini me!

Jack White Mini me!

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

TMR's announcement makes it sound like the White Stripes Peel Sessions record will be available at other record stores, so you might want to call around to your local shops to make sure they order it.

That's a good idea, thanks I'll get on the phone to them and demand they order me in some sweet sweet vinyl:D

#10 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

For the love of all that is holy - I am getting kicked out of my house with my life partner and our sixth month old kid by a scum bucket landlord, my car is in the damned shop and I swore off RSD...  But the PEEL SESSIONS!?!  How is this not a Vault thing?  Argh!!!  If there is anyone who is able to pick up a spare copy of the Peel Sessions at their local shop I will make it worth your while.  Have tons of old cool stuff for trade and of course cold hard digital PayPal for you.  Pwetty pwease? 

sometimes it feels like my eyes rain...

#11 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

So these finally turned up in Australian record store's (in abundance and at the price of a normal LP no less). Let me tell you this is a great way to reawaken the WS fan in you. I finally get the love for these sessions in a way I didn't before. The White Stripes are obviously a live band but I understand some fans may find concert recordings not the best for at home listening. Concert LPs are always "up to 11", Jack shouts, songs are abandoned without thought, tempos are amped up to max. And that's thrilling but the joy of the Peel Sessions is that you can hear the band really dig into each song and give it that extra oomph they're used to without sacrificing the subtleties you appreciate when listening to an LP. It's the closest thing to a studio release that captures the appeal of the band. Definitely replaces WBC in best-representing the band crashing onto the scene in 2001.

In case you're wondering the sound is pretty good but not a major improvement on an already good broadcast recording. Third Man have done a decent job giving a bit of depth to both LPs (1 sounds fuller) but the recordings are still a bit tinny.

Overall though I highly recommend picking this up.

#12 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

^ well said, lusty, as usual you have hit the nail on the head

#13 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Been way out of it for a while - any news on black vinyl version of this?  still super bummed I missed out on this for RSD...

#14 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

i was just at the record store, someone picked up a copy that the owner was saving for him. Are they colored vinyl versions of stock now? These were so gettable for a brief period. Is TMR waiting to get the Detroit plant up and running?

#15 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

I saw them everywhere for a while - was also sleeping in my car so wasn't much of an option.  Now I've got a place and a steady check, can't seem to come across 'em.  Argh...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RSD, 2016, The White Stripes, Detroit, Nashville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users