20 replies to this topic

#1 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

I thought I would go ahead and make an official topic for Margo Price (assuming there isn't one).

I've been keeping up with Third Man Records mostly through instagram. With all of the promoting and hype surrounding this new album, I thought I would give her a fair shot. I just recently opened up to listening to more country over the past 6 months. I've always enjoyed a few of the classic artists, and like most on here, I adore Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose. I started to make the transition through alt-country artists like Lydia Loveless (go listen to her song Verlaine Shot Rimbaud now), Ryan Adams, Old 97's, and the first Wilco album (which is fantastic). It's hard to find artists that can really bring out what the best of country used to be without maybe seeming a little insincere. I guess like Jack White always does for me (his solo work has added a little more twang to his sound), he sort of broke down a few barriers and maybe reservations I had about opening up to what is out there in the country world. 

Okay, enough rambling. Margo Price's new album Midwest Farmer's Daughter is a refreshing album for me. "Hands of Time" is my current favorite on the album. After watching her interview on CBS's Morning show this Saturday, I learned that the song is entirely true to her experiences, and that's where the honesty and truth really makes this country album feel so great. Just like Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose, you really feel like you're going on a journey with the artist and learning things about them and yourself along the way. Anyways, it's been a while since I created a topic or posted, but hopefully this is a good spot to discuss the album, live performances, and so on.

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Gawdammit, I am so glad someone came along and started this thread. I love this record and there was a time when I never thought I'd listen to this sort of stuff-- Not only is it country, it's also sung by a female vocalist and y'all know how little love I normally have for female singers. But Loretta, through Jack and Van Lear Rose, was my gateway drug, setting me up for getting into this record. Margo's voice is a little too sweet for me sometimes, a little too pretty, but her skill as a storyteller ropes me in anyway.  And her attitude and experiences make her such a great fit for Third Man.  She's gotta be flipping out to go from pawning her wedding ring for the cash to make a record to suddenly playing the Opry and being on Conan O'Brien and Good Morning America. The woman's paid her dues and definitely earned TMR's Midas touch.

NPR: On 'Midwest Farmer's Daughter,' Margo Price Hits Her Breaking Point — And Big Break

Nashville Scene: Neo-country badass Margo Price's dogged resiliency leads her back to Jack White

#3 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Gawdammit, I am so glad someone came along and started this thread. I love this record and there was a time when I never thought I'd listen to this sort of stuff-- Not only is it country, it's also sung by a female vocalist and y'all know how little love I normally have for female singers. But Loretta, through Jack and Van Lear Rose, was my gateway drug, setting me up for getting into this record. Margo's voice is a little too sweet for me sometimes, a little too pretty, but her skill as a storyteller ropes me in anyway.  And her attitude and experiences make her such a great fit for Third Man.  She's gotta be flipping out to go from pawning her wedding ring for the cash to make a record to suddenly playing the Opry and being on Conan O'Brien and Good Morning America. The woman's paid her dues and definitely earned TMR's Midas touch.

NPR: On 'Midwest Farmer's Daughter,' Margo Price Hits Her Breaking Point — And Big Break

Nashville Scene: Neo-country badass Margo Price's dogged resiliency leads her back to Jack White

I couldn't agree more. I'm very selective about who I will give an opportunity to with music that I'm not extremely drawn towards, but she deserves it. And of course, if TMR didn't pick her up, I may have not given it a chance at all. I don't think that's a bad thing to say or I'm being a sheep by listening to her because of TMR. If it's good enough for Jack White, it's worth a listen.

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

If TMR didn't pick it up, pretty much no one would have given this record a chance because it wouldn't have been released. She had gone to many labels who wanted her to change things on it and was apparently about to give up.

And I definitely agree with you on that last bit-- I'm very happy to have Jack act as a tastemaker for me. I don't like every single thing I've been exposed to through TMR, but their genre-lessness makes them such a great resource for finding music I wouldn't otherwise discover on my own or give a chance to if it did pop up on my radar.

#5 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

That's how I felt about Ashley Monroe's album, but this girl is the epitome of "stop trying to make fetch happen" for me.  I finally listened to her album because my alarm woke me up this morning to The Secret Sisters' Johnny Cash cover with Jack on guitar, and I remember hearing it in my sleep and thinking it must be her because I KNEW that was Jack on guitar.  When I finally woke up I realized it wasn't, but I decided to try it anyway and... no.  Like, all the elements of classic country are there, some things sound so old Nashville, but it feels like a facsimile to me and not actually authentic.

#6 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Margo's great.  Her old band Buffalo Clover did a lot of touring going back into the days of MySpace.  Their drummer ended up playing for These United States during the end of their existence.  In fact, I booked at a coffee shop in Madison solely because she had a blurb on their site recommending it as a performance space.  It's very cool to see her finally get some solid recognition.

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

Margo on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic--  http://www.kcrw.com/...tic/margo-price

And SXSW--  http://www.npr.org/e...ncert-sxsw-2016

#8 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

SNL next week!

#9 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

SNL next week!

Niiiice!

#10 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

She deserves her own Topic !

#11 looktouch

looktouch

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

I love her 😁😍

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

A topic had been started for Midwest Farmer's Daughter over in the Third Man Records section, so I pulled all of those posts over into this thread to combine the discussion. And I definitely agree there should be more discussion about her!!  I hadn't been adding anything to the original thread since there wasn't much response, but she's definitely a new favorite of mine. Saw her perform at the Birchmere here in the DC area and she was fantastic.  

Also, she was recently on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Absolutely one of the best of his talks I've heard yet. She's so no bullshit--  http://www.wtfpod.co...750-margo-price

#13 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for transfering the topic. I didnt notice the excisting thread !

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

No problem.  Oh, and she's been working on material for her second album.  I asked her about it during the meet'n'greet she did after the show I saw, and then she talked about it again with Maron.  They're apparently going into the studio this fall to begin recording. Definitely looking forward to hearing what new stories she's come up with to tell.

#15 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

I won't beat it into the ground or anything since I've already mentioned it a little.  But, I do think many of the folks who like her would like her previous band.  I was always kinda surprised that they just fizzled out (around 2014).

#16 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Every time she talks about them in an interview, I keep meaning to check them out. I'd like to hear her more soulful stuff.  Need to see if there's any Buffalo Clover on Tidal so I can listen here at work.

Edit: Et voila!  https://listen.tidal.../artist/5044396  for anyone else who does Tidal.  Thanks for the reminder, billdore  :)

Edited by Kali Durga, 26 October 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Ok, listened to Buffalo Clover's Test Your Love. Margo can sing the hell out of anything but, honestly, the songs on Midwest Farmer's Daughter sound so much better to me. They're just better crafted.

#18 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Margo was on The Strombo Show this past Sunday. She played a few songs I believe. Including this Bob Dylan cover

#19 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:18 AM

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip