388 replies to this topic

#1 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

someone posted on whiteswirl that a nashville musician said this on facebook recently:

"Missed a session at Thirdman on Pokey LaFarge today. Can't wait til Molecular Transportation exists. Luckily Jack White will probably be the first one to have it"

sounds good to me :)

#2 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

someone posted on whiteswirl that a nashville musician said this on facebook recently:

sounds good to me :)

ha! i knew it was only a matter of time.

#3 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

that man has an expressive face

#4 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Old Crow Medicine Show should record at TMR.

#5 drmooney

drmooney

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hop on this:
Last week we announced that we have two new incredible Green Series 45s being released, one of them with 30 different covers! This week we want to tell you about our latest Blue Series 45s that will be out in Mid-March. Both of these artists are from our homeland of the Midwest and we think they really sum up the diverse range of artists and styles we’re interested in here at Third Man.

Pokey LaFarge, from St. Louis MO, is a traditional American music purist who dabbles in everything from jazz, string ragtime, country blues, and western swing. Musically timeless and stylistically original, Pokey and his band blend all of these styles of music into something new and swinging. His booming voice has an incredible range that has to be heard to believed. For his Third Man Blue Series single Pokey And The South City Three give us two new tunes “Chittlin’ Cookin’ Time in Cheatham County” and “Pack It Up”.

#6 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Awwwww Yeahhhhhhh.... thats my boy there... dont let anyone tell you that Pokey is not from Louisville Kentucky... lawd lawd lawd... gots to tell ya he is a real old timey cat with some real history to share if you are willin to sit down and give him a listen... North Carolina.. you lose!!

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Article about Pokey's blue series, from the Riverfront Times music blog: http://blogs.riverfr..._raconteurs.php

On Friday, Pokey LaFarge revealed that he and the South City Three have a new seven-inch forthcoming that was produced by Jack White - yes, that Jack White, of the White Stripes, Raconteurs and Third Man Records. Over the weekend, more details emerged: The record has two songs, "Pack It Up" b/w "Chittlin' Cookin' Time in Cheatham County," and it's part of Third Man Records' Blue Series. (Other notables in that series include Wanda Jackson, Dex Romweber Duo and Laura Marling.)

So, how exactly did this come about? According to LaFarge, credit the influential Nashville country-music radio station WSM (650 AM).

"It was around Thanksgiving, and some DJ was playing some songs in referral to Thanksgiving," he says. "They were playing tunes about sweet potatoes, and they played a Bob Willis tune, 'Tater Pie,' and they played one of our songs off our last album [Riverboat Soul], called 'Sweet Potato Blues.' And Jack heard that. His manager called my manager. Anyway, the next day I got a phone call from Jack White."

LaFarge wasn't totally blindsided by the call - his manager had given him a heads-up - but he was surprised that White himself was on the other line. ("I got the 615 area code number calling me and I was like, 'Oh, must be Jack's manager,' LaFarge says. "Well, it turned out that it was Jack, and I was like, 'Oh, holy shit.'") LaFarge says White told him he had a "tremendous voice" and that he "loved the sound" of the band's tunes - and then invited them to Nashville to record a Third Man session.

The recording took place in an eight-hour spurt on December 20 at White's Nashville studio. (Unbelievably, it was Pokey's first experience working with a producer for a recording.) LaFarge and the South City Three recorded four songs while there; White produced and Grammy-winner Vance Powell (who's worked with Keb' Mo, Buddy Guy and the Raconteurs) engineered. If that wasn't impressive enough, White called in session musicians to play on some tunes - a group which included a trumpet player, a clairinetist, a pianist and Raconteurs drummer Patrick Keeler. (The b-side of the seven-inch, "Chittlin' Cookin' Time in Cheatham County," features this augmented instrumentation.)

"I'm not going to say he's a genius, 'cause I only got to work with him one day," LaFarge says of White. "But he's very intelligent. We threw songs at him and he could almost instantly change things to make the tune better. I was very impressed.

"Working with Jack was great because we felt natural the second we walked in," he adds. "It was like we were pals, it was just crazy. But he was a hard worker - he was behind the board the whole time. Plus he was in the studio working out some things with us, arrangement of parts. It was constant work, he just has a hard work ethic. [But] he never was stressed out; he was just having a good time."

The seven-inch will be out in mid-March, and will be available in several places: on Third Man's website (and physical store in Nashville), via iTunes and also right here at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis. Off Broadway will also be hosting a release party for the vinyl on April 1.

Incidentally, LaFarge and the South City Three just received two Independent Music Awards nominations, for Riverboat Soul and the song "Claude Jones." (Locals Strawfoot also received a nomination for the song "Hole.") And LaFarge and the South City Three's next album is still due in July.

If you follow the link, there's also a video of Pokey's Sweet Potato Blues.

#8 rag-and-bone

rag-and-bone

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

i was about to post that article from the RFT. pretty cool to get some hometown love on thirdman! :)

#9 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

Article about Pokey's blue series, from the Riverfront Times music blog: [url="http://blogs.riverfr...aconteurs.php"]
If you follow the link, there's also a video of Pokey's Sweet Potato Blues.

good bit of reporting there... here is a little late night jammin down Portland way...

#10 redpill42

redpill42

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Im so glad that someone from STL is being put out by TMR....It gives me hope that one day Jack might pick up a second act from STL (hopefully me ;))

#11 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

pokey and the south city three had their 7" tmr release show last night at off broadway in st louis. the tmr vault cult only allowed one copy per customer, christ they have long tentacles. nice crowd. pokey as charismatic as ever. whenever i get to hear them play they are my favorite concert. i can see why jack was so taken with him-he has jack's boundless curiosity and a reverence for what came before. he inhabits the authentic essence of the old music but carries it on with original lyrics and tunes. imagine alan lomax combining all the dna of american music and injecting it into this slight lad from south st louis (or am i in memphis?). i feel lucky he came around these last days of planet earth and i get to listen to him kick the sterno can down tin pan alley.

pokey has a new album coming out next month and a 78 next year. he even wrote an article in this weeks riverfront times about his yellow brick road companions.

http://www.pokeylafa...afarge-himself/

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

imagine alan lomax combining all the dna of american music and injecting it into this slight lad from south st louis (or am i in memphis?).

Pokey has definitely sounded interesting so far, but this is the strongest recommendation I've seen yet. Now I'm intrigued. Thanks for the link to his recommendations, as well.

#13 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

imagine alan lomax combining all the dna of american music and injecting it into this slight lad from south st louis (or am i in memphis?).

i feel lucky he came around these last days of planet earth and i get to listen to him

http://www.pokeylafa...afarge-himself/

Sassy!!! thanks for that link even though i will have to let you soak up the idea that these are our Planet's last days all on your own... the way i see it is that humanity will have a wee bit of a challenge grappling on the surface with all their toxic habits while this giant rock in space continues to evolve... But seriously... the TMR singles will be on the menu tonight as Pokey is playing here and he is sure to see me ear to ear with pure glee to be there.... ah... i am blessed and not stressed while fully aware of how severe the terms of endearment have become

Also a bit stoked for my date at the Opry this week with some of the best of family & friends... thank you great spirit!

#14 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

What a show!!! the South City 3 are also fabulous along side Pokey... so much fun and the Dirt Daubers were good also

#15 torsoul

torsoul

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Just picked up a copy of Pokey's Blue Series 7" from Vintage Vinyl in Saint Louis. It's my first tricolor!

#16 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

Dang... Pokey got Bronchitis and had to cancel his NYC appearance... :o

He will be in Nashville this week though...

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Pokey did a Tiny Desk Concert for NPR, video included: http://www.npr.org/2...ert?ft=1&f=1039

The first time I saw Pokey LaFarge, he was walking around the grounds of the 2010 Newport Folk Festival wearing a suit and tie, with his hair slicked down. To tell the truth, I thought, "Who is this guy? What's his shtick?" A few hours later, I saw him on stage playing with his band The South City Three, and I realized that this was a man with a vision and a passion for music from way before his time.

NPR Music broadcast that concert from Newport, and Jack White heard it — soon afterward, White asked LaFarge to record for his Third Man Records label. In fact, he now has a 78 of his own coming out.

Pokey LaFarge writes and performs original and sometimes traditional music, steeped in American blues, country and Western swing from the days when 78s ruled the record player. LaFarge's music is honest and infused with respect for the era he loves — particularly the '20s and '30s. When you listen to this music as part of a diet of songs from the 21st century, it feels fresh, fun and altogether outstanding.

#18 torsoul

torsoul

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for posting that, Kali!

#19 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

pokey is going to be on music city roots tonight, for anyone that is interested in watching the live stream:http://musiccityroots.com/shows. They also post old shows so it isn't imperative you watch tonight...but you might want to

Edit:

He also did a npr tiny desk concert: http://www.npr.org/2...ny-desk-concert

Edited by dontmakemebill, 22 April 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#20 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

pokey is going to be on music city roots tonight, for anyone that is interested in watching the live stream:http://musiccityroots.com/shows. They also post old shows so it isn't imperative you watch tonight...but you might want to

Edit:

He also did a npr tiny desk concert: http://www.npr.org/2...ny-desk-concert

Pokey had the pleasure of being in Nashville for all the goings on yesterday and fans had the pleasure of checkin out his show on Thursday night or so it was said... That tiny desk concert is some fine stuff to add to the collection to be sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users