156 replies to this topic

#141 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

This is not about Third Man specifically, but it's a very cool project that they donated Meg cameras for--  http://www.tennessea...-rides-into-art

via TMR's Twitter feed-- https://twitter.com/...906925959745537

#142 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

^ very cool? another TMR trinket I let slip by.

#143 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

That's awesome. As an avid bus-rider myself, I think it's a really neat project!

Less cars, more public transportation :)

#144 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Jack White and Neil Young covers album?

http://consequenceof...r-covers-album/

Earlier this month, Jack White revealed that he is “producing two albums this month, and finishing them,” adding that “one of them is mine.” Could the other be a covers project with Neil Young?

According to veteran music journalist Michael Goldberg, White and Young have recorded an entire album together, which will be released through White’s Third Man Records, and possibly Warner Bros. Records, which is Young’s current label.

Incidentally, rumors of the album were first mentioned over a month ago on the Neil Young fan site Thrashers Wheat, but seemingly fell under the radar as they came amidst the holiday season. The initial posting from Thrasher Wheat reported that the album would include covers of 12 songs by other renowned singer-songwriters, and no Neil Young originals.

Undoubtedly adding fuel to the fire, Young was in Nashville earlier this spring andrecorded a cover of Bert Jansch’s “Needle of Death” at the Third Man Recording Booth during Record Store Day 2013.

According to Goldberg’s report, the tracklist could also include covers of Bob Dylan’s “Blowin’ in the Wind”, Gordon Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain”, Ivory Joe Hunter’s “Since I Met You Baby”, Phil Ochs’ “Changes”, and Tim Hardin’s “Reason To Believe”. Young has performed most of these covers at recent concerts, including his Farm Aid set over the summer and his run of shows at New York’s Carnegie Hall.

A publicist for Young offered no comment.

This isn't being discussed in another thread, right?  I didn't want to start a new one if it's not official news.

#145 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Folks have been talking about it over at Swirl ( http://www.whiteswir...php?f=19&t=9790 ), but I think you're the first to mention it here.

#146 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Oh my bad, I tend to just stick to the little room.  It's news to me though, and I think it sounds pretty exciting.  I'm not sure if I get the vibe that Jack is contributing to it though, or just producing it.

#147 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

No bad, I just posted the link in case anyone wanted to see what had been discussed over there.  I'm not into Neil Young (respect him, but have too much else to listen to these days) so I didn't think to mention it over here.  Definitely seems hard to tell exactly what it is yet.

#148 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Wow. That is super exciting for me. Love Neil Young.

The only thing that would make it more exciting was if Jack and Neil were collaborating on new material.

I wonder if this will be all acoustic or if some of these covers will delve into both of their more noisy sides.

#149 googolplex

googolplex

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hmmm just reading now the speculation that it's all just recordings from the booth, which would be a disappointment. That thing is a gimmick and doesn't sound good. It's fun, but it's not a good full album.

#150 Gerrit

Gerrit

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Ther,s a man a certain man who says can, put an end to war

Oh  that,s nice   mayby they can sing this together.

#151 carsoni4

carsoni4

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

I am SO IN for this Neil album, even if Jack just "produced". The covers Neil has been playing at his shows have been amazing renditions and I'd love to get them on record, even if they were all recorded in the booth.

#152 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Have I just been missing all the publicity for this?

"Third Man Records Release Party: Celebrating the release of Third Man Records' First Book: "Language Lessons: Volume 1" An Anthology of Poetry, Prose, and Music.  DJ set by Ben Swank.  

This Thursday, February 27th at Barboza in Seattle, WA.

It's a shame I'll be working and can't make it to this.  I might try to show up late.

#153 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

No, it's been surprisingly low key. So far, anyway...

#154 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Swank's prepping for the event as we speak, er, type--  https://www.facebook...0&stream_ref=10

Edited by Kali Durga, 26 February 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#155 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

This article is ostensibly about Jack's upcoming show at Bridgestone Arena, but this comment by Swank really speaks to the whole culture at TMR and is, I think, a large part of what makes that place as special as it is--  http://www.nashville...ent?oid=4888248

"I think any growth is good," Swank adds. "But I also think any growth is going to have growing pains, and I think that's what everyone is experiencing. Rather than trying to be overly negative about things or having knee-jerk reactions, I think the best way to combat that is going out and putting your own positivity into things and creating your own kind of world. That's when beautiful things happen. If you don't like the 40-story building that's going up, go out and create your own art collective."

#156 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

removed cuz I just realized Kali made a thread for it

Edited by matthewvh, 19 July 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#157 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Had to, it's potentially BIG news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users