156 replies to this topic

#1 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

I'm coming across more and more articles about Third Man Records and Jack's philosophy, so maybe it's time for this thread.

From the Detroit Free Press: Jack White's Third Man has it all It's mostly stuff we've all heard before, but there's one tasty little tidbit at the end that seems to confirm what Jack said in a recent interview---

Third Man's big emphasis is old-fashioned records -- including a reissue of the White Stripe's catalog on pristine, 180-gram vinyl, likely coming by year's end.

"It's been really cool. That was the first goal of the building when we started constructing it. We're on like our 50th record now, and we're just now getting around to putting out the White Stripes records," he says with a laugh. "So that feels really good, realizing how much activity has happened since then."

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

oh good :) Thanks B)

#3 GHRobson

GHRobson

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

Yayy! I hope it includes all the obscure singles and GBMS on vinyl too :D

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

From the Detroit Free Press: Jack White's Third Man has it all

And here's the full interview from which the above article was apparently culled-- Q&A: Jack White talks new project, coming back to Detroit

#5 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

#6 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Thank you Kali! :D

Finally GBMS on vinyl, i don't care if it's pressed on 180-gram or graham cracker crust

#7 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

FUCK YEAH. Do it, Jack White. Last week I gave away my "White Blood Cells" LP, so good timing.

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thank you Kali! :D

Finally GBMS on vinyl, i don't care if it's pressed on 180-gram or graham cracker crust

YEAH, I hope they sell on internet for me buy more 2 :)

#9 FernandoDANTE

FernandoDANTE

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yay, another way to cash in!

I mean, come on, the poor collectors only have so much money...

right?

Edited by FernandoDANTE, 26 July 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#10 Buttontobutton

Buttontobutton

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Yay, another way to cash in!

I mean, come on, the poor collectors only have so much money...

right?

I wouldn't look at it so cynically. Many fans have been hoping since the day this venture was announced that re-release of singles and albums would occur. Maybe GBMS?!

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

From, of all places, The Christian Science Monitor-- Jack White waxes nostalgic in bid to reconnect fans to music. Pretty much all stuff we've heard before, but with a few extra comments from folks like Dex Romweber and Michael Gray, a historian at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville. Gray compares TMR to Ray Charles' Tangerine label:

Mr. Gray says Third Man reminds him of Tangerine Records, the all-in-one operation that Ray Charles built after reaping the rewards of "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music," his smash hit 1962 album. The next year Mr. Charles moved his entire publishing company, recording studio, and management under one roof and launched Tangerine Records, a label that provided a home for people he considered heroes, such as Percy Mayfield and Louis Jordan.

"Ray was all about the money and I'm sure he was looking for hits, but he also figured the label was a way of giving back to people who meant so much to him," he says.

#12 SuzyLee135

SuzyLee135

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

From, of all places, The Christian Science Monitor-- Jack White waxes nostalgic in bid to reconnect fans to music. Pretty much all stuff we've heard before, but with a few extra comments from folks like Dex Romweber and Michael Gray, a historian at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville. Gray compares TMR to Ray Charles' Tangerine label:

Jack White holds a multicolored 45-inch single from the Third Man mail-order catalog

:blink:
Lol 45 inch single! That would be awsome

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

This is really a random sighting rather than news, but I thought it made more sense being under TMR than Dead Weather--

Ted Leonsis, owner of pretty much every sports team in Washington, DC, has nominated Jack as his "coolest cat" http://www.tedstake....or-coolest-cat/

#14 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Lol, that triple decker ad was cool..

the DJ on my morning radio was talking about the new record player package.

#15 whatsername

whatsername

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

nice article: http://www.thisislon...-white-built.do

#16 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Dude, you're a journalist. You couldn't snoop around and find out the reason for the crystal ball? ;)

I still want to know how the hell they fit all the things they do into that tiny little building. Someone needs to write an exposé on that.

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

Jack is now a "kingpin", according to The Tennessean --> 2010: The year Nashville took over.

Note: Slideshow seems to be broken. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

#18 jamesmo32

jamesmo32

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

What I learned from that slideshow- Ke$ha is from Tennessee, Oh Fuck.......... :huh: But Jack is on there :P

#19 Guest_Trent O_*

Guest_Trent O_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

The concept of calling Pujol artpunk.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Ah, good, it's working. Here's the blurb about TMR, in case anyone else has issues with it or doesn't care to scroll through:

Nashville rocker Jack White opened his Third Man Records shop/studio/performance space in 2009, but it wasn't until this year that the building truly became a global destination for a unique crop of artists and enthusiasts. "Jack's House" wasn't just the site of a number of one-of-a kind shows, but also the only place to pick up super-exclusive vinyl releases that have sent collectors around the world (and on eBay) into a frenzy. Among those stopping by for public shows and/or recording sessions: Conan O'Brien, Elvira, the 5678's, Cold War Kids, Dex Romweber Duo, Reggie Watts and Jenny & Johnny. White and company also got friendly with the local rock scene, as well, hosting two nights of Nashville DIY punk with local music blog Nashville's Dead during the Next Big Nashville festival and producing a single for Nashville art-punkers PUJOL. Another White-produced Third Man release is guaranteed to get international notice next year: a brand-new album from rockabilly legend Wanda Jackson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users